Subject: [Sip] Question about via headers and transactions matching

From: "Gabriel Velo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:11:40 -0300

Dear All,

When a UAS generate a response , this copy the top via header of the request
, but if the transport layer of UAS add a received parameter to the via
header of the request,  the UAC can't match the corresponding client
transactions due a received parameter.

this is right ?

is any match rule defined to the via header?

Regards.

Gabriel Velo

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:36:00 -0500

This issue has come up a few times, unfortunately, the bis-05 text does 
not help clarify it.

The UAC should do the comparison ONLY on the fields it has itself 
inserted. This means that the received param needs to be ignored in the 
matching process. However, bis-05 says nothing about that.

Based on agreement at the meeting (which needs to be confirmed on the 
list, of course), the via branch ID will now be required to be globally 
unique. Thus, the client transaction would match up a response to a 
request by checking the branch ID in the response, plus the method 
(CANCEL still has to have the same branch ID even though its a different 
  transaction; this is an artifact of the cancel matching process). Note 
that you can do this TODAY without any standards action. Since the 
server always mirrors the branch back to you, you can do this without 
needing support from the server.

bis-06 will reflect this.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan Rosenberg, PhD                 72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com