Subject: [Sip] Call for bis open issues

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:20:40 -0500

Folks,

At this time, I have sent an email to the list documenting almost all open
issues currently being tracked in bugzilla (39 at the moment), along with my
proposed resolutions. 

There are two important phrases in this sentence above that I need to
comment further on. First, I sent emails for "almost" all open issues. There
are two I did not send emails on. The first is the largest outstanding
issue, which is the whole mess of record-routing. How we do loose source
routing, when does an element pop vs. not pop the top route, how do we deal
with local outbound proxies, does port/transport get stripped in the URI
like maddr, etc. This spans bugs #159, #161, #213, #218, #268 in bugzilla
(which you can now see a summary of at
http://www.sipwg.org/bugzilla/openissue.cgi). Robert Sparks has agreed to
take ownership of making sure this moves forward in a timely fashion,

The second open issue I did not send an email on is the general SRV
algorithm. Discussions are still underway with IESG, and more work is needed
here. I hope to have a concrete statement of the issues and proposed
resolutions at IETF.

The other important phrase in my first statement was "currently being
tracked". These are the bugs we, the sip editors, are aware of. I am sure
there are other issues that people have had concerns about that have not yet
been addressed. As such, I would like to open a call for open issues against
the spec. If you are aware of any problems in the specification that
requires additional normative text to fix (as opposed to just clarifying
whats already there), please let us know, either privately or on the list.
This is NOT an open invitation for requests-for-features. Please confine
your comments to problems that need resolution.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip