Subject: [Sip] Open Issue #212: Applicability of RTT Estimates

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:26:59 -0500

Issue:

If RTT estimation is done using Timestamp headers, what is the granularity
of 
that estimate? Is that estimate applied to subsequent requests to the same
IP 
address? IP address and port? Request URI? The destination IP address does
not 
actually represent the terminating server transaction, and the RTT estimate
is 
supposed to be a measure of the time T1 between a client transaction
machine, to 
the server transaction machine, and back. If there are statless proxies in
between,
that estimate may not apply to other requests sent to the same stateless
proxy.

Discussion:

Keep it simple. Existing systems use IP address, and so should we. Yes, it
won't quite be right for stateless proxies. 

Proposal:

Keep text as written - use IP address.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:37:06 -0500

There were no comments on this proposal. I will interpret silence as 
consensus. The current text stands.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com