Subject: RE: [Sip] Open Issue #205: Headers and method param in 3xx/REGIST ER Contact header URLs

From: "McMurry, Kathleen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:17:55 +0000

Can it also be clarified that in a Contact header, if there is are
parameters that are not enclosed within "<>" that they are considered header
parameters instead of URL parameters?  Apparently this issue came up at the
bake-off.

In other words, if the following is received:

Contact: sip:user@host;methods="INVITE,NOTIFY"  

It should not be treated as a syntactically incorrect URL parameter, but as
a syntactically correct header parameter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 10:35 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sip] Open Issue #205: Headers and method param in 3xx/REGISTER
Contact header URLs

Issue:

Minor issue.

bis-05 allows the URL method parameter and header parameters to appear in
3xx and REGISTER requests/responses. Do we really want this?

Discussion:

Headers - yes. It makes sense for me to be able to redirect you to my
voicemail with a specific Subject header, for example:

303 Send Voicemail SIP/2.0
Contact: sip:[email-masked]?Subject=call%20from%20Bob

Method parameter - no. That is definitely dangerous. The only complication
is that we use the caller preferences methods (note the plural) contact
header for presence, amongst other things. Due to the unfortunate closeness
of these two parameter names, some people are using the method param
instead, i.e.:

REGISTER
Contact: sip:user@host;method="SUBSCRIBE"

This is definitely WRONG, since the syntax for method does not actually use
quoted strings. However, it is out there.

I would argue, on the other hand, that we should not standardize something
because people have misimplemented it.

Proposal:

Allow headers
disallow method

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:31:08 -0500

> a syntactically correct header parameter.

OK. We will clarify that.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan Rosenberg, PhD                 72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com