Subject: RE: [Sip] The Future of SIP Call Control

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 13:08:31 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: William Marshall [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 4:45 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Sip] The Future of SIP Call Control
> 
> 
> Many of the services are definitely "one-sided", where the other just
> does as it is told.
> 
> But, the discussion on REFER is leaving the "policy decision" to the
> subscriber/vendor/user as to whether they actually do as they are
> told or ignore it.
> 
> This is the combination that will NOT produce interoperable services.

If a phone has a policy that says to refuse all calls today for a meeting,
then that will prevent services from functioning, and I think that is what
you want in that case.

What you need is that the manufacturers of phones to understand how the
policy decisions will affect their ability to receive services. To that end,
I would argue that the REFER spec, for example, should have some discussion
on the implications of certain policies on classes of services, to make sure
that an implementor can make an appropriate choice. This is not normative
text, just discussion. If its clear that refusing REFER within a call leg
will prevent a broad class of transfer related servces, its the right of the
user/implementor to refuse them anyway, but they should be aware that
transfer won't work in that case.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip