Subject: [Sip] rfc2543 bis-05 line 4489: LWS

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:38:37 -0500

If I am interpreting the rfc2543-05 correctly, 
the protocol now requires a lot of mandatory
whitespace.

Isn't LWS as defined on 4465 interpreted 
as at least one SP or HT?  The definitions 
related to line 4489 appear to be requiring 
whitespace, instead of making it optional.

[Forgive me if this has been discussed,
I couldn't find the thread.]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 22:55:03 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brett Tate [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 8:39 PM
> To: sip-ietf (E-mail)
> Subject: [Sip] rfc2543 bis-05 line 4489: LWS
> 
> 

It has come up in private comments we received; I don't know if there was a
thread on it.

Anyway, you are right, there is an error in the BNF. Its already been fixed
and will be reflected in bis-06. Basically, there are two BNF constructs
defined; one for between tokens and separators, or between separators. That
construct does NOT require any SP or HT. However, LWS between tokens does
require at least one SP or HT.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:21:19 -0500

There is a bug in the definitions of the punctuation characters
that forces at least one whitespace character.  This has been
fixed.  A new production like LWS but without the "1*" has
been created, and that is used around the SEMI, COMMA and
COLON, etc. productions.

Brian