Subject: [Sip] interesting interaction with overlap dialing and enum

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:58:18 -0500

Folks,

There is an interesting interaction between overlap dialing and enum. A 
proxy that is doing enum dips for processing phone numbers will find 
that every time it gets an updated request-URI with additional digits, 
it will end up retrying enum to check if its ported. In the worst case, 
there would be N enum queries for an N digit number. Yuck. Not what you 
want, but I don't see how it can be avoided.

I think this has been raised in the past (I vaguely recall that Dean 
brought it up), but I didn't see anything about the problem documented 
in draft-ietf-sip-overlap, which should probably mention it. Another 
reason why overlap is bad.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip