Subject: [Sip] #145 - SRV stateless ?load balancing?

From: "Rawlins, Diana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:22:48 +0000

Any updates to the comment made during the SIP WG sessions that stateless
proxies using SRV for load balancing is under evaluation by the IESG / DNS
experts?

-Diana

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:55:12 -0500

No, no news.

I have the token to prepare an update to draft-ietf-sip-srv and then 
obtain feedback based on that. Some of the concerns raised by the DNS 
experts that need to be addressed include:

1. our usage of SRV to "search" the DNS for entries across a variety of 
transports, and worse, the merging of priority values across entries. 
The latter was a serious concern. A suggestion made by one of the 
experts was to use NAPTR for this search piece, and then use SRV 
afterwards once you know what transport to use.

2. the fact that SRV records are used if the port is explicitly listed 
as 5060, and A records if its explicitly listed as 5061. The feedback 
was that an explicit port should use A record independent of its value. 
This oddball behavior is because in SIP, we treat the following as equal:

sip:user@domain:5060
sip:user@domain

and it was our belief that two equal URLs should result in the same 
behavior when looked up. In hindsight, the error was making those two 
URLs equal in the first place, and this is what drove my query to the 
list sometime back for info on who is inserting :5060 into URLs.

3. Our approach of trying records across transports is messy

4. the whole process is not clear at all

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Rawlins, Diana wrote:

> Any updates to the comment made during the SIP WG sessions that stateless proxies using SRV for load balancing is under evaluation by the IESG / DNS experts?
> 
> -Diana 
> 
> 

-- 
Jonathan Rosenberg, PhD                 72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip