Subject: [Sip] Interpretation of headers in REGISTER message

From: "Tiruthani, Saravanakumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:25:41 -0800

Hi,

I understand that the REGISTER method provides a way of associating one
address-of-record with one or more contact address. However it is not clear
for me whether the contact addresses correspond to the transport address of
the UAC or just other names for the same user. 

For example, let us say sip:[email-masked] has the following contact
addresses:

Sip:[email-masked]

Tel:14085555555

From the proxy perspective there are two interpretations possible:

1)     The proxy interprets that all INVITEs to [email-masked] has to be
delivered to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  and
to a PSTN terminal 1408555555 (through a gateway) [say by forking the
request]

2)     The proxy interprets that [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>  represents both the SIP URI
(jdoe@.acme.com <mailto:jdoe@.acme.com> ) as well as the PSTN terminal

Is there a provision in existing SIP protocol to differentiate two cases? If
so, could someone please point it to me? Otherwise, is it worth adding to
the spec?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sarvan Tirurthani

PS: I sent an earlier mail on the same subject from my yahoo account, though
I did not see the message on the reflector. Is there any restriction on
sending mails to the reflector from free e-mail accounts?

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:30:50 -0500

>PS: I sent an earlier mail on the same subject from my yahoo
>account, though I did not see the message on the reflector.
>Is there any restriction on sending mails to the reflector
>from free e-mail accounts?

No, that mail showed up. The reason no one is answering you
can be deduced from the blurb added to the bottom of every
single message that goes through the list. I'll repeat
the relevant part so as to bring it more squarely to your
attention.

*** This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
*** Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip