Subject: [Sip] nits/comments on bis-07

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:35:54 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

hi,

more nits, comments, and proposed clarifications from the pdf version of
bis-07 through section 15.

there are probably many dups, so please just send comments on the stuff
that doesn't make sense.

more important stuff marked with **

thanks,
-rohan

17: s/distribution and/distribution, and/

22: s/ontop/on top/

315: s/URI) regardless/URI) called an address-of-record, regardless/

326: append:  the real-time transport control protocol (RTCP) for

364: s/and defined/which is defined/

369: s/server, and/server; and/

380: append @pc33.atlanta.com    to be consisitent with line 399

403: s/reach or //

487: s/so they drop/so the proxies drop/

513: s/to the proxy/to the hostname or IP address of the proxy/

533: s/programmed/configured/

537: s/request-by-request,/request-by-request basis with a/

563: note that UAC hasn't been defined or spelled out yet

567: s/an FSM/a Finite State Machine (FSM)/

576: also UAS hasn't been defined yet

615: s/a dialog/some communication/        *****

623: s/UAC and UAS/pair of user agents/

634: should define address-of-record

644: s/adress/address/

663: s/its outbound/an outbound/   and   s/learn it/learn about one/

692: should define route-set

702: s/the user name/the SDP user name/

717: s/A stateful/A (transaction) stateful/

728: haven't defined proxy core.. probably not a big deal

730: s/server to user/server back to the user/

746-7: s/server for the duration of the dialog/server/

889:  s/they/the headers/     OR     s/they/the formats/  **

994: s/the domain the/the domain on the/

1014:  ahhs.aa  ->  something else (localhost?)

1081:  bad reference to sec:proxy-response-processing-via

1081:  append a Via example please

1088:  append a Contact example please

1091-1093:  nuke 100rel stuff

1105-7: nuke 100rel stuff

1118: s/proceedures/procedures/  and also  1119: s/proceedures/procedures/

1124: s/configuring outbound/configuring an outbound/

1134: s/passes it/passes the response/

1137-9:  its probably useful if the TU can map other events:    **
             some DNS errors  -> 404
             some ICMP errors -> 403

   If a timeout event is received from the transaction layer, it MUST ...

   The UAC MAY treat other transaction layer events as if they were a
   relevant SIP response.  This document does not define any additional mappings.

1171: s/Client transaction/The client transaction/

1126:  inconsistent with sections 25.5.2 and 25.4.6 re: use of
405 vs. 501  (btw: I think always returning 405 is much more useful than a
501, but...)                                               ***

1250:  s/the TU checks/the TU MUST check/

1271 and 1275: use an alternate example than 100rel

1313-5: not especially helpful.  please reword or nuke the paragraph.

1386: s/GSTN/a PSTN/

1405: s/to which can take a long time to respond/which can take a long
time before a final response is received.

1407: s/sent a response/sent a final response/

1450: s/were anything but CANCEL, apply/is anything other than CANCEL, and
applying/

1478: s/process is/process is frequently/

1484-5: s/into which a user is logged/where that user can receive SIP requests/

1499: s/will then be/is then typically/

1503: s/a proxy for/any proxy or redirect server for/

1503: insert sentences like: User Agents MAY instead obtain location
information for an address-of-record from a redirect server or by direct
query of an appropriate registration server.  Note that direct
registration queries from third-party user agents MAY be forbidden by the
privacy policy of the registrar.

1597: s/REGISTER/a REGISTER/

1627: s/to proxy servers/to proxy and redirect server/

1693: s/to the proxy/to the proxy or redirect server/

1694: s/with 500/with a 500/

1754: s/as in a redirect/as in a 300-class response/

1780: s/a two/two/

1799: s/the URI of/the Contact URI of/

1800: s/,  and/, and/

1803: s/comes/arrives/

1811-2:  seems like a duplication of material in 1790-6

1822: s/and have global scope/and SHOULD have global scope/

1888: s/MUST a/MUST add a/

1893: s/the the/the

1967: s/on the method.  When a dialog/on the method.  An early dialog is
terminated with a CANCEL.  When a confirmed dialog/
                                                         *****

1978: s/a provisional response/provisional responses/

2079: s/a Contact header field/one or more Contact header fields/

2122-5:  under what circumstances will this ever happen with relative
times?  propose to nuke it unless i'm missing something.

2288: s/unbound/unbounded/

2297: s/the dialog/a dialog created with an INVITE/

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:24:17 -0600

These are either integrated or bugs have been entered against them.

This was the second comment on ahhs.aa - I changed that example
to sip:[email-masked]

You are correct wrt: INVITEs not arriving already expired.

RjS

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:55:52 -0500

> to sip:[email-masked]

Actually, Henning found a nugget in RFC2606 which defines the .invalid
domain, so we are using something like [email-masked]

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com