Subject: [Sip] Proxies Can Modify SDP?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:19:12 -0500

I've been involved in a little bit of correspondence with TIPHON WG 3, where
there is some question whether proxies are allowed to modify SDP.  I know
this has shown up in E-mail, but it does not show up in 2543bis.  Could
someone confirm this so I can forward the message to TIPHON? 

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:22:20 +0200

Hi,

A proxy controlling a media firewall, and/or doing some kind of "codec
filtering", should be able to modify the SDP, right?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

>I've been involved in a little bit of correspondence with TIPHON WG 3,
>where there is some question whether proxies are allowed to modify
>SDP.  I know this has shown up in E-mail, but it does not show up in
>2543bis.  Could someone confirm this so I can forward the message to
>TIPHON?
> 
>Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Sijben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:10:18 +0100

The discussion on the TIPHON list was how such a box should be called. 
TIPHON has been using the term proxy for such a box for a while but it
seemed not appropriate usage since a proxy was intended as a routing
element ONLY.

So we shwitched to B2BUA. However that terms has been scrapped now from
the draft. 

Paul

-- 
Paul Sijben                         Tel:+31 356874774 
Bell Labs - Advanced Technologies   Fax:+31 356875954
Lucent Technologies     (internal) http://voip.nl.lucent.com/~sijben 
Huizen, The Netherlands

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 07:40:54 -0800 (PST)

> someone confirm this so I can forward the message to TIPHON? 

   A better question to ask is what happens when a
   proxy wants to modify SDP, but the SDP was either
   sent encrypted or end to end.

		  Mike