Subject: [Sip] use of TCP in bis07

From: "Sanjoy Sen"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:14:22 -0600

lines 3587-3590: If a request is within 500 bytes of the path MTU, or if it
is larger
   than 1000 bytes when the path MTU is unknown, it MUST be sent using
   TCP. This is to prevent fragmentation of messages over UDP, and to
   provide congestion control for larger messages.

Although I agree with the intent, this would force terminals to use TCP in
many cases - this may not be suitable for many smaller mobile terminals.
This should be relaxed from MUST to SHOULD.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:55:12 -0500

Sanjoy Sen wrote:
> 
> lines 3587-3590: If a request is within 500 bytes of the path MTU, or if
> it is larger
> Although I agree with the intent, this would force terminals to use TCP
> in many cases - this may not be suitable for many smaller mobile
> terminals. This should be relaxed from MUST to SHOULD.

That is not acceptable based on IESG feedback on this question
specifically. I think that is a fair position; we really want to make
sure TCP is used for messages that would otherwise fragment.

As an alternative, I reduced the "buffer" space to 200 bytes, and that
was deemed OK.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip