Subject: Re: [Sip] Some more ABNF issues - bis07

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:25:50 -0800

>Did anyone ran an automated ABNF parser, and passed the "torture test" 
>messages ?

I've been running the one from http://www.ops.ietf.org/, but I've
been fixing parser bugs as well as grammar bugs, so don't take everything
it says to heart.

Problems I've found in sipbis-07 so far:

Jonathan's suspicion was correct, <"> doesn't work; my guess is you
should use %x22 .

There's still a | seperator before ttl-param.  Probably didn't catch
it because of the lack of whitespace.

"nextnonce" and "composite-type" are missing an '=' between the rule name
and definition.

Here are the warnings at the end:

rquest-uri: Used 1 times, but not defined

This is the reference to HTTP/1.1 .

start-line: Used 1 times, but not defined

This is from the ABNF in section 7, defining generic-message, but there's
no ABNF defining start-line.  Is this ABNF still supposed to be in section
7, or should it have moved to section 27 too?

telephone-subscriber: Used 1 times, but not defined

This is imported from RFC 2806.

ATSIGN: Defined but not used
BANG: Defined but not used
BAR: Defined but not used
BIT: Defined but not used
CHAR: Defined but not used
CTL: Defined but not used

digest-uri-value: Multiply defined

This is from the ABNF in section 7 and 27; they both have the same
definition.

DOT: Defined but not used
DQUOT: Defined but not used
DQUOTE: Defined but not used
generic-message: Defined but not used
LANGLE: Defined but not used
LBRACK: Defined but not used
LWSP: Defined but not used
MINUS: Defined but not used
PERCENT: Defined but not used
PLUS: Defined but not used
RANGLE: Defined but not used
RBRACK: Defined but not used
separators: Defined but not used
SIP-message: Defined but not used
TEXT-UTF8: Defined but not used
TILDE: Defined but not used
VCHAR: Defined but not used
TEXT-UTF8char: Referred to as TEXT-UTF8CHAR

This is not a big deal, since names are case-insensitive, but it's
a possible source of confusion (as it was for me before I realized
that names are case-insensitive.)

  Bill

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:28:19 -0500

> Jonathan's suspicion was correct, <"> doesn't work; my guess is you

Done.

> it because of the lack of whitespace.

No, its because I fixed this last minute and did it manually, missed the
first one.

> "nextnonce" and "composite-type" are missing an '=' between the rule

Oops. Thanks.

> This is the reference to HTTP/1.1 .

Yeah, not much I can do about it.

> 7, or should it have moved to section 27 too?

The idea was to have the top-level parts of the BNF in section 7
to aid in understanding of the basic structure. However, it appears
that this BNF was never updated to use explicit LWS, or checked for
correctness.

So, I've added a definition of start-line there, and corrected the BNF
(for example, there were no SP in the request-line).

> This is imported from RFC 2806.

Yup.

> BAR: Defined but not used

Deleted.

> BIT: Defined but not used

BIT??? I didn't see that one anywhere...

> CHAR: Defined but not used

Same - where is this one?

> CTL: Defined but not used

THis one is not in there either.

> This is from the ABNF in section 7 and 27; they both have the same

I think you mean section 20 and 27. 

I think this is OK.

> DQUOTE: Defined but not used

I don't find a DQUOTE either....

> generic-message: Defined but not used

This one needs to stay :)

> LBRACK: Defined but not used

Deleted.

> LWSP: Defined but not used

Not in here either; maybe these are incorporated from 2234?

> RBRACK: Defined but not used

Deleted.

> separators: Defined but not used

Its not used, but its discussed, so I'd like to keep it.

> SIP-message: Defined but not used

This needs to stay too.

> TEXT-UTF8: Defined but not used

Deleted. An artifact of pre-explicit-LWS. I also changed the text below
to talk about TEXT-UTF8-TRIM instead of TEXT-UTF8.

> TILDE: Defined but not used

Deleted.

> VCHAR: Defined but not used

Not in here.

> TEXT-UTF8char: Referred to as TEXT-UTF8CHAR

I changed the second to lowercase to be consistent.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com