Subject: Re: [Sip] calling number blocking at sip/isup gateway

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:37:50 -0800

At 08:57 AM 1/29/2002, Dean Willis wrote:
>I run a real IP telephone service. Unknown parties may place calls over
>the Internet to my subscribers. My subscribers's profiles may result in
>forwarding those calls to a PSTN gateway. PSTN charges originating from
>this operation are charged back to the subscriber (the called party),
>not the calling party with whom I have no relationship outside the SIP
>used to set up the call.
>
>It really doesn't matter what the calling party put in their From:
>field, I still need to complete the call. Now, if they were kind enough
>to put in a phone number, I can map that into the IAM. But if they
>didn't, I just can't. Now, there's an interesting question on
>"authenticating" the phone number that they might have included., but
>that's a different problem.

You can get away with that now and even traditional PBX access methods do 
the same on a case by case basis. But the regulatory trend in some places 
is that you will be required to supply a number at the interconnect point. 
Even if you invent a number out of your head, you will be responsible for 
it. But (again) all we need to do is provide the method in the protocol for 
inserting a number.

So what is the problem?

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip