Subject: [Sip] Bis-7: Question on brackets

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:49:36 +0200

Hi,

A long time there was a discussion (it has also been discussed at
bake-off/SIPit events) on how to separate URI parameters from header
parameters in the To- and From headers.

To my understanding, it was agreed that if header parameters (eg the
tag) are used, the URI MUST be inside brackets.

example:

To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=3545883477

In this example brackets are used since the tag parameter is a header
parameter, not a URI parameter.

However, what bis-07 does say for the Contact header in chapter 24.10
is:

" If no "<" and ">" are  present, all parameters after the URI are
header parameters, not URI
   parameters. The display name can be tokens, or a quoted string, if a
larger character set is desired."

Now, this would be different behaviour from the To- and From header
handling. If the tag was a Contact header parameter, the following would
be allowed:

Contact: sip:[email-masked];tag=3545883477

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:27:20 -0600

inline

> tag) are used, the URI MUST be inside brackets.

Its the other way around - without brackets any parameters are considered
header parameters., so if URI parameters are used, the URI MUST be inside
brackets.

> To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=3545883477

The brackets are allowed there, but not requried given that URI.
To: sip:[email-masked];tag=3545883477

> handling. If the tag was a Contact header parameter, the following would

How is this different?

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:09:13 +0200

Hi,

> header parameters., so if URI parameters are used, the URI MUST be inside

True. Sorry, my misstake.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland