Subject: [Sip] bis-07 nits part 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:48:01 -0700

Here are comments on the first half of my review.  Thought I'd send some
now instead of all comments at the last minute.  More to come.

1. Line 333 begins: "SIP does not provide services."  Line 343 goes on to
state "The nature of the services provided by SIP...", looks like the latter
sentence needs to be wordsmithed.

2. Max-Forwards brief description is needed after line 406.

3. Line 429, 430 and 434 reference "IP address" included in the Via's, this
should be changed to domain, or just "address".

4. Lines 456-458, the Via headers need received= parameters.

5. Line 567, FSM not defined.

6. Line 644, "adress-of-record" should be "address-of-record".

7. Line 980, "this by done" should be "this be done".

8. Line 994, "the domain the right hand side" should be "the domain to the
right hand side".

9. Text version text corresponding to line 1093 is missing a period after
"100rel" similar to corruption corrected in other sections.

10. Do a global replace on proceedures with procedures.  Multiple occurences
throughout doc.

11. Line 1124, "as way to" should be "as a way to".

12. Line 1137, is timeout the ONLY thing the TU will see?  What happens when
an ICMP host unreachable is returned?  Does that not get to the TU?  Related
to this, should line 1170 
"or network timeouts" be "or network failures"?  (Reported in bis-06 nits,
response was change didn't make it into bis-07, bug opened)

13. Line 1207, reference section missing closing ")".

14. Line 1407, suggest changing "has not yet sent a response" to "has not
yet sent a final response".

15. Section 10.1 of the text version has a space before a comma in three
places.  PDF version is OK (lines 1481-1483).  Reported this for bis-06,
response was this is a text conversion problem, but keep reporting when
seen.

16. Line 1645 indicates a registrar SHOULD authenticate the UAC, but section
26.1 does not show this.  Suggestion: if this is not included for brevity
reasons, perhaps just a note in section 26.1 indicating authentication
should also be done.

17. Lines 1653-1654 are indented in PDF version, but not in txt version.
Reported for other sections in bis-06, response was this is a text
conversion problem, but keep reporting when seen.  Other instances of this
problem: lines 1679-1684, 1691, 2438-2439, 2553-2554, 2581-2584, 2592,
2615-2618, 2623, 2628-2630, 2642-2644, 2749-2752, 2769-2774, 2822-2827.

18. Line 1655, "field of request" should be "field of the request".

19. Line 1662, "a Expires" should be "an Expires".

20. Line 1728, Via header not changed to Recommended FQDN.  Noted this for
examples in section 26 of bis-06, response is bug entered, I guess this can
be added to that.  Problem also seen on line 1762.  Also, if these get
changed to FQDNs for responses, remember to also add received= parameter.

21. Line 1780, "a two user agents" should be "two user agents".

22. Line 1861, is this open issue considered resolved?  Delete line if so.

23. Line 1888, "MUST a Route header" should be "MUST include a Route
header".

24. Line 1918, "recieves" should be "receives".

25. Line 1920, "for the a request" should be "for a request".

26. Sections 13.2.1 and 13.3.1.4 indicate Allow and Supported headers SHOULD
be present in an Invite and 2xx, respectively, but the example in 26.2 does
not contain these.  If these are added, the example would no longer have the
minimum set described in section 4 which references section 26.2.
Suggestion: if headers are added, include a small note explaining the
difference with section 4.  Otherwise, include a note that the headers
normally SHOULD be included.

27. Line 2035, "send" should be "sent".

28. Line 2037, "this means the a UAS" should be "this means a UAS".

29. The text version has indented text corresponding to PDF version lines
2270-2272 which is not indented.  Reported same problem in bis-06, response
was this is a text conversion problem, but keep reporting when seen.  Same
problem for lines 2296-2298.

30. The text in section 16.2 of the text version corresponding with lines
2394-2397 has the formatting corrupted, with ".IP" stuffed in three times.

31. Line 2416 has "a request." which is missing in corresponding text
version section 16.3.

32. Figure 3 on page 63 of PDF version has no title identifying it.  OK in
txt version.

33. Lines 2438-2439, not sure if this note should be included when this
becomes an RFC.

34. Line 2464, bad section reference.

35. Line 2604, "unless it known" should be "unless it is known".

36. Line 2856, "to to" should be "to".

37. Line 2889, what is the point of resetting timer C when it expires?
Expiring timers normally invoke some action other than simply resetting the
timer.

38. Lines 2968-2973 have both bullets and step numbers.

39. Line 3058, "U1 receives" should be "U1 sends"

40. Line 3061, "P1 its location service" should be "P1 uses its location
service".

John Hearty
Level3

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:51:13 -0600

All of these have been addressed or have bugs against them.

Resetting timer C in a proxy allows the proxy to dynamically extend
the transaction's lifetime, indefinitely if it wants to, periodically
checking in.

RjS