Subject: [Sip] bis-07.9: SDP in 1xx responses

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:10:25 -0500

The rules in section 13.2.1 (lines 2113-2123) appear to disallow SDP in
unreliable provisional responses.  I know there are a lot of implementation
out there that send SDP in 1xx responses. Should it say that SDP MAY be
present in 1xx when an offer is sent in the INVITE, but it SHOULD match the
SDP that the UAS will/would send in a 2xx (is that your final answer :) in
order to be backwardly compatible with existing UAs.

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 05:53:36 -0500

Bob Penfield wrote:
> out there that send SDP in 1xx responses. 

Right. With bis, they need to be doing so reliably. Its not going to
work well enough unless they do.

> Should it say that SDP MAY be

Yes, this is a good point.

It took me nearly an hour to come up with the proper text, which
provides backwards compatibility in both directions, works with reliable
provisionals also (which i cannot mention in bis), and yet makes sure
everything is a basic series of O/A exchanges. Take a look at the new
text in bis-09.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com