Subject: [Sip] RE: nits - draft-ietf-sip-events-02

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:32:33 -0500

Thanks for your comments, Bert. I'll be incorporating them into
the next version.

>throughout - there are several places where sentence punctuation appears
>inside double-quoted information.  This should not be so IMHO.  Almost all
>occurrences are with parameter values defined in the SIP spec., whose
>definition doesn't contain the punctuation.

Yeah, that's an oddity of American English. British English reverses this
rule, if I recall correctly. I agree that that the British usage makes
more sense overall, but I don't think mixing styles is acceptable.

I'll cite NASA's technical writing guidelines on the topic:

    3.14.3. Use With Other Marks

      Quotation marks may be used with all other marks of punctuation.
      Closing quotation marks always follow commas and periods,
      regardless of the context. 

(from http://stipo.larc.nasa.gov/sp7084/sp7084ch3.html)

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Schulz, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:18:21 -0800

Adam,

If you follow this rule consistently, the last paragraph of section 7 (p.27) should read...

     Registered tokens to designate packages and template-packages
     MUST NOT contain the character ".," which is used to separate
     template-packages from packages.

The draft does currently have several closing quotation marks that proceed a comma or period, staring with the third paragraph from the top down to the last Reference.  I agree with Bert that this is much less confusing than NASA's style, especially when the quoted material is highly dependent on syntax.

-Eric

"Adam Roach" <[email-masked]> wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...