Subject: [Sip] 100rel

From: "Jack Lix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:37:25 -0800

Hi,

RFC2543: Section 8.1.3.2 Unrecognized Responses:  The UAC MUST treat any
response it does not recognize as being equivalent to the x00 response code
of that class.

So, if a new provisional response code is defined, 100rel can not be used
with it until code updates are done at the UA's to "recognize" the new
response code.  100 (Trying) is specifically excluded from the 100rel
method.

My guess is that most of the code in existance will allow any 1xx other than
100 to pass thru to the user and that it will allow 100rel - but that  does
not adhere to the specification.

I suggest that the wording in the 100rel draft specifically allow the 100rel
method for any 1xx (other than 100) response even if the UA does not
specifically "recognize" the response code.  The wording for excluding 100
Trying comes close but, IMHO, doesn't do the job.

Thanks,

Jack

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:24:25 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Lix" <[email-masked]>

> response it does not recognize as being equivalent to the x00 response
code

FYI, this has been changed in the latest bis spec to state that unrecognized
1xx are treated like 183 since 100 has many special rules. The x00 rule now
only applies to final responses.