Subject: [Sip] Removing security preconditions from manyfolks

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:34:44 +0200

Hi,

we are thinking of removing security preconditions from manyfolks. Right
now manyfolks handles QoS and security preconditions. However, with
MIKEY, this feature seems useless to establish secure channels.

If somebody thinks that removing security preconditions from manyfolks
is a bad idea, please speak up.

Regards,

Gonzalo
-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:41:47 -0500

Not all media streams use RTP or SRTP, and there are other security
mechanism than MIKEY. While I don't feel strongly about keeping the
"security" precondition, I don't see much gained from removing it. Perhaps
more importantly, since you are going to break the existing manyfolks-03
draft mechanism anyway, it would make sense to make the preconditions
extensible (with suitable IANA registration procedures of course).

-- Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems