Subject: [Sip] Possible errors in BNF definition in bis-06

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 18:17:00 +0200

It seems to me that there are few errors in the BNF (I don't know if they 
were introduced in bis-06 or earlier)

1. Line-breaks are allowed to be added almost freely in the text, breaking 
many of the (english spelled) rules
COMMA = SWS "," SWS
this means that before and after every comma, CRLF sequence is allowed, 
with optional leading and trailing spaces.

2. No extension header is allowed (though many other items, such as 
methods, define extensions)

3. no CRLF after header lines.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:50:47 -0500

> with optional leading and trailing spaces.

This is an error in the definition of SWS. SWS is now defined as:

LWS    =  [*WSP CRLF] 1*WSP 
SWS   =  [LWS] 

which does not permit a standalone CRLF.

> methods, define extensions)

Yeah, Rohan mentioned that as well. Its been added; see my reply to his
note. Its a shocker to me that it wasnt in there till now.

> 3. no CRLF after header lines.

Another excellent catch. Fixed.

Thanks for your comments,

Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com