Subject: [Sip] RE: NOTIFY behaviour

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:45:11 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Section 4.2.1 states 
> 
> Is the Accept header mandatory in SUBSCRIBE? INVITE mandates 
> its but say that UAS should be ready to receive Requests 
> without an Accept header. In that case, the spec should state 
> that any extension to the events draft should specify the 
> default content-type just in case the accept header was missing.

INVITE has that behavior for backwards compatibility with INVITE
behavior in RFC 2543. SUB/NOT isn't shackled to providing backwards
compatibility with a previous specification.

> Section 4.2.2
> I believe this section should talk a little about how a 
> NOTIFY is constructed when a SUBSCRIBE with expires 0 is 
> received. specifically the way the subscription-state header 
> is constructed. After all, its the NOTIFY that terminates the 
> dialog, Not the 200 OK to a SUBSCRIBE with expires 0.

Section 4.2.2 refers to section 4.2.4 on the topic (since
there's no reason to duplicate the description of "Subscription-State"
values and the processing is far more relevant to subscriber
implementation than notifier implementation). As far as I can
tell, 4.2.4 is fairly exhaustive in its description of how to form
this header. The Cliff's notes answer to your specific question
is in section 4.3.6:

     Note that the NOTIFY messages triggered by SUBSCRIBE messages
     with "Expires" headers of 0 will contain a "Subscription-State"
     value of "terminated", and a "reason" parameter of "timeout".

I'd like to thank you very much for taking the time to look over
the document -- but working group last call expired back on the
19th, and the document is now in a semi-static state awaiting its
presentation by the ADs to the IESG. Unless someone discovers a
fatal flaw, the document is effectively frozen.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: William Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:57:59 -0500 (EST)

> fatal flaw, the document is effectively frozen.

On Feb 22 the IETF-wide last-call was announced for events-03,
along with 2543bis-08, 100rel-05, and srv-05.  So I think the
comment period is still open, but possibly they should be
Cc'd to [email-masked].

Bill Marshall
[email-masked]