Subject: [Sip] re: Can Proxy Modify SDP?

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:44:47 -0800 (PST)

Jonathan Rosenberg said:
>Now, it is true that, ahem, certain prominent sip vendors have products
>called firewall control proxies which muck with the SDP. Whether these
>things are rightly proxies, based on the SIP spec, or a B2BUA, is more a
>matter of technical marketing than standards, so I would not lose too
>much sleep over it. Its far less a stretch than what people are calling
>softswitches these days ;). Our job here at IETF is to write standards
>that work and are good for the Internet.

I agree with Jonathan here.  We should leave the spec as is with the
exception of *adding* Contact-Length.  Another prominent vendor that I
know has an ALG that modifies the SDP, and I don't even want to
*think* about what you would call it.  Both of these will break as soon as
someone turns on the end-to-end SMIME integrity and encryption.  I would
like to have that problem some day...

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip