Subject: [Sip] Question according to draft-ietf-sip-srv-04

From: Boris Perlov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 19:15:20 +0200

Hi all,

 in "draft-ietf-sip-srv-04" paragraph "4.2 Determining Port and IP" of the
client DNS usage, it is specified that "...If the TARGET was not a numeric
IP address, and no port was present in the URI the client performs an SRV
query using the service identifier _sip and the transport protocol as
determined from section 4.1 ...". 

It is not clear what should be done if no SRV records are found. 

Previous version of the rfc2543 (bis 05), in case when no SRV records are
found, requires to apply 'A'/'AAAA' class DNS query.

Thanks,
Boris Perlov

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:55:14 -0500

Boris,

This is an excellent catch. In the many rewrites of this text, the
fallback to A records was lost. You are correct, that if no SRV records
are found, A/AAAA records are used. This will reflect in -05.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com