Subject: [Sip] Routing examples

From: Brazier Lachlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:57:57 +0100

Hello,

sorry if I missed this in one of the mailing lists.

In the examples for Proxy Route processing (16.11.1.1 Basic SIP Trapezoid)
P1 finds P2 resposible for "domain.com". P2 receives the INVITE request, and
inserts a Record-Route (Record-Route: <sip:p2.domain.com;lr>).

Wouldn't the Record-Route header be: Record-Route: <sip:domain.com;lr>

Did I miss something with DNS or a chapter in the draft?

Thanks 
Lachlan

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:50:28 -0500

Brazier Lachlan wrote:
> P1 finds P2 resposible for "domain.com". P2 receives the INVITE request,
> and inserts a Record-Route (Record-Route: <sip:p2.domain.com;lr>).
> 

The only requirement is that the record-route URI route back to that
proxy. A DNS lookup of domain.com probably would point to a bunch of
servers in a cluster, and thus may not route back to that specific
proxy. So, the proxy has inserted a FQDN for the specific host it is
running on, in this case, p2.domain.com, which has an A record only.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip