Subject: RE: [Sip] Path scenario outside of 3GPP requirements

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:58:05 -0800

> 1) Give my home phone knowledge of the proxy it's behind, and have it
> insert
> an adjusted Contact: in the REGISTER. This of course requires
replacing
> all
> the phone software, and is a pain in the behind (I have a 3Com phone
right
> now, no software updates available as far as I know).

There is actually a spec on how to do just that -- check the UPNP
standard for Internet Gateway Devices at
http://www.upnp.org/resources/standards.asp. I know of at least one SIP
UA that implements this spec.

Failing that, your best bet is to migrate to IPv6.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:43:40 -0600

Christian wrote:
> Dea nWrote

Don't all the UPNP documents say "Microsoft Corporation. All Rights
Reserved" ? ;-)

Ok, insert my original example, but instead of a home proxy firewall I'm in
a hotel using pay-per-view IP transport and have to register through a proxy
that handles policy decisions . . .  (gee, sounds exactly like one-half of
the 3GPP problem set).

The point is, we keep seeing the same pattern again and again -- the need to
register a "contact" which is a vector rather than a singular node.

> Failing that, your best bet is to migrate to IPv6.

yeah, like THAT woudn't impose change requirements on my existing
obsolete-but-beloved phone . . .

--
Dean