Subject: [Sip] Record-route uri must be sip or sips

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:10:14 +0300

Section 16.6 item 4 states that

"The URI placed in the Record-Route header field value MUST be a
         SIP or SIPS URI"

But the grammar for record-route allows absolute URI. Why allow it in the grammar?

Regards,
Hisham
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 09:14:41 -0500

We have lots of places where the grammar allows you to produce
a message that isn't semantically valid. Both the text and the
grammar have to be taken together. For example, the Contact header
field takes an arbitrary number of name-addrs. But all the currently
defined methods other than REGISTER restrict it to containing exactly
one SIP or SIPS URI. We've developed a convention of expressing the
grammar for header field parameters that allow arbitrary numbers of
each parameters in each field value - the text almost always adds
a "zero or one" restriction. 

Every time we've discussed attempting to push all these restrictions
into the grammar, we end up deciding that the "grammar plus tuning text"
approach makes the specification easier for humans to understand.

RjS