Subject: [Sip] REFER and dialogs terminated by BYE

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Aug 2002 16:38:53 +0300

Hello,

	Let's say a REFER is used to transfer an existing call. REFER is
	sent using the existing dialog. Now, what should happen to the
	dialog and the subscription(s) when either end uses BYE to
	terminate the original call before the subscription(s) created
	by REFER have terminated?
	
	BR,

					Pekka

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:41:00 -0500

RFC 3261 leaves this open ("The mechanism for terminating confirmed
dialogs is method specific.") There is some guidance about how this
applies to dialogs associtated with subscriptions in section 3.3.4
of RFC 3265. In partcular, the following (non-normative) explanation
from that section is of interest:

     "...[A] dialog created with an INVITE does not necessarily
      terminate upon receipt of a BYE."

For the particular case you describe, then, the answer is that the
dialog and subscription are not destroyed until a NOTIFY with a
"Subscription-State" of "terminated" is sent.

/a

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pekka Pessi [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 8:39
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] REFER and dialogs terminated by BYE
> 
> 
> 	Hello,
>