Subject: RE: [Sip] The cost of UDP

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:13:56 -0400

Just in case one was thinking "how often does a power failure occur in a
city -- it is a corner case I can ignore"...

Consider a conference bridge w/ 80,000 ports.  Most conferences start on the
hour, with people connecting in a 3 minute window.  Not only is that more
than 64,000 connections, but that corresponds to a connection rate of over
1,000,000 connections per hour.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Cullen
Jennings
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Avshalom Houri'; Dean Willis
Subject: RE: [Sip] The cost of UDP

Few thoughts on this ....

64,000 subscriber per host is not very many - people that are going to
deploy millions of users don't want a boat load of servers to manage. 64,000
could correspond to around 50 cps. I can imagine proxies that easily do 500
cps on a cheap machine today and I can imagine proxies that do 30,000 cps on
a $1000 machine 10 years from now. Perhaps no one will care about that level
of performance but the point I am making is simple - 64,000 users per host
is very low.

If a host supported several IP address on a single interface, it might be
able to do more than 64k TCP connections. Should work in theory but probably
does not work in practice.

The following scenario is quite realistic - We end up with a city with
several million IP phones. This city regularly looses power resulting in all
UA simultaneously rebooting and trying to register.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip