Subject: RE: [Sip] SIP Traceroute using Max-Forwards

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:06:08 -0400

>I think it would be a good exercise to look at
>the requirements for this sort of thing (over in
>SIPPING) and see if we can move towards a nice,
>safe, and secure way of solving the general class
>problem.

I'm wondering just how the general class of problem here is relevant to SIP
in itself. The route among proxies is going to be selected at the
application level by some combination of systems of which CPL and user
preferences are early representatives. Just what could SIP supply in this
application domain beyond the Kilroy-type headers described previously.
Certainly the selection of headers to exercise various aspects of the
application goes far beyond anything that could profitably be discussed in
SIPPING.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:39:24 -0500

>application goes far beyond anything that could profitably be discussed in
I suspect even standardized kilroys would be useful. Many questions 
abound -- for example, what are the security issues, when many operators 
insist that completely hiding their topologies from discovery is a 
critical security function? Can the kilroys-type-headers be spoofed? How 
do you debug routing problems that span multiple operator environments? 
How do you poliely ask for the service nodes to add headers? How do you 
insist?

--
Dean