Subject: Re: [Sip] SIP Congestion Control {offside}

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:45:09 -0400

As an offside,  I had  bookmarked two papers related to TCP congestion 
control - the latter of which
also discusses modifications to the TCP stack to avoid some of the attacks 
describes ( I hear linux kernel 2.2 onwards already
made some of these changes - not sure though)

"Chaotic Nature of TCP Congestion Control" 
http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2000/papers/74.pdf
"TCP Congestion Control with a Misbehaving Receiver" 
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/savage/papers/CCR99.pdf

Worth a read for folks who are interested.

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems
11717 Exploration Lane, Germantown MD 20876
(O): 301-212-7860        (M): 240-997-0066

Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
08/01/2002 12:17 PM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     Mark Watson <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], "Naidu, 
Venkata" <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: [Sip] SIP Congestion Control

Remember also that TCP offers flow control, so that the upstream proxy
will be throttled automatically. No packets lost and standard 
backpressure.

[email-masked] wrote:
> I remember a discussion quite some time ago about congestion control in
> SIP. Just found its reference:
>
> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sip/current/msg00143.html
>
> Personally, I think dropping messages should be only after you cant
> respond with 503 (so uacs can then use SRV to try alternate routes)
>

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the 
information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip