Subject: Re: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-symmetric-response-00.txt

From: feng zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:55:4 +0800

Hi All,

   Can anybody tell me what's the difference between this draft and 
draft-ietf-sip-nat-02.txt(July 1, 2002)? I think they are the SAME!

Best Regards.
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: An Extension to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
>                          for Symmetric Response Routing
>	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, J. Weinberger, H. Schulzrinne
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-symmetric-response-00.txt
>	Pages		: 12
>	Date		: 2002-9-30
>	
>The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) operates over UDP and TCP. When
>used with UDP, responses to requests are returned to the source
>address the request came from, and to the port written into the
>topmost Via header field value of the request. This behavior is not
>desirable in many cases, most notably, when the client is behind a
>Network Address Translator (NAT). This extension defines a new
>parameter for the Via header field, called 'rport', that allows a
>client to request that the server send the response back to the
>source IP address and port where the request came from.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:43:55 -0500

> draft-ietf-sip-nat-02.txt(July 1, 2002)? I think they are the SAME!

It's a slight update -- Jonathan has separate mail to the list
discussing changes.

The name change was requested by the AD. This isn't a general NAT
protocol draft, therefore the NAT in the name was considered
problematic. 

I quote from Jonathan's note:

--------------------------
This draft is an update to draft-ietf-sip-nat-02. The name has been 
changed to reflect the fact that it is not NAT traversal for sip. Some 
of the other changes in this version:

* addition of an UNSAF considerations section, addressing the issues 
pointed out in 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.tx
t.

* clarification that responses need to be sent from the address/port on 
which the request was received

* addition of branch IDs to the example via headers

* updated references

It also incorporates the various comments received during working group 
last call. I believe this document is now ready to go to iesg.
---------------------------

--
Dean