Subject: [Sip] abnormal situation after connect

From: "Munira Sharmin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:06:17 -0400

Caller and callee SIP endpoints session starts (i.e. 200 Ok for the INVITE
and ACK exchange happens). If for some abnormal situation, say in one of the
proxy in between, session has to get torn down,  then it looks like
currently, only BYE is sent with no indication as to whether this is a
normal release or some abnormal release. So other proxies in the path or the
endpoints will have no idea why the call dropped.
How about inclusion of an optional reason header in the BYE message for such
a case, or can the SIP gurus gaurantee that such a situation will NEVER
occur (well, I have seen that happen once in a rare while) ?
Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:10:42 +0200

Munira,

In draft-ietf-sip-reason-01.txt you can find examples of requests with
Reason headers. One of the examples consists of a BYE with a "Not
Acceptable" Reason header field. This way, all the SIP entities in the
path will know (as long as they can read the Reason header) that the BYE
was sent because the last offer received from the peer was unacceptable.

Regards,

Gonzalo

Munira Sharmin wrote:
> +AF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXw-
> Use sip-implementors+AEA-cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
> Use sipping+AEA-ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:35:22 -0600

Munira Sharmin wrote:
> Caller and callee SIP endpoints session starts (i.e. 200 Ok for the 
> INVITE and ACK exchange happens). If for some abnormal situation, say 
> in one of the proxy in between, session has to get torn down,  then it 
> looks like currently, only BYE is sent with no indication as to whether 
> this is a normal release or some abnormal release. So other proxies in 
> the path or the endpoints will have no idea why the call dropped.
> How about inclusion of an optional reason header in the BYE message for 
> such a case, or can the SIP gurus gaurantee that such a situation will 
> NEVER occur (well, I have seen that happen once in a rare while) ?

Take a look at the SIP Reason Header I-D
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-reason-01.txt.

It does what you want.

Regards,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216