Subject: [Sip] RFC3261: Authorization versus Proxy-Authorization in CANCEL

From: "Arunachalam Venkatraman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:10:46 -0500

In Table 2 and Table 3 in Section 20 of RFC3261, the Authorization header is
shown to be Optional on a  CANCEL while the Proxy-Authorization header is
not applicable on a CANCEL.

What is the reason for this difference?

      Header field          where   proxy ACK BYE CAN INV OPT REG
      ___________________________________________________________
      Authorization           R            o   o   o   o   o   o
      Proxy-Authorization     R      dr    o   o   -   o   o   o

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:10:18 -0500

Hi Arunachalam,

A CANCEL can not be challenged with either a 407 or a 401 because it can 
not be resubmitted with an incremented CSeq (the CSeq must be identical to 
the INVITE it is matching).

The row of Table 2 for Authorization should show a "-" for CANCEL to 
indicate that it is not applicable.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
WorldCom
sip:[email-masked]