Subject: Re: [Sip] TLS post connection verification

From: "James Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:51:48 +0000

Hi Eron,
The standard does not elaborate on that, but here is what I think:

For the second question: for sending responses on broken connections, I 
don't think that there is a need to do post connection assertion. for two 
reasons:
a - The server does not need to authenticate the client.
b - allot of applications put their specific IP address on the via field 
while a certificate is more likely issued to an FQDN.

The first question is more tricky. My guess is the "incoming" connection 
should only check for the correctness of the certificate and not do a post 
connection assertion. This might be a security issue though. Maybe someone 
with some hands on experience can would be more helpful here.

Regards,
James S. Ford

>Hi,
>
>When sending a request (ie REGISTER) to a server I can compare the request
>URI to the common name (or the alt dns name) in the certificate. If the
>names match, I can conclude that the certificate is OK.
>(I'm using OpenSSL, and they recommend this post connection assertion).
>
>I have two questions thou:
>
>1 - What name should I use for comparison when accepting a connection?
>Usually only the UAC will demand certificate, I am concerned with te case 
>of
>
>two proxies trying to connect using TLS and the UAS proxy asking for client
>certificates. (what uri will the UAS proxy has, there is no message yet).
>
>2 - how should broken connection be handled? lets say UAC1 sent a request
>over TLS to UAS1. the handshake went well and the request sent. than for
>some reason, the connection was broken and UAS1 now needs to reestablish 
>the
>
>connection. What should UAS1 do? use TLS w/out certificates?
>
>
>Regards,
>Eron Stein
>
>_________________________________________________________________
>The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*
>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
>
>_______________________________________________
>Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
>This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
>Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
>Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Amit Bhadoria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:23:29 -0800 (PST)

answer to these questions depend on whether the connection is intra domain
or inter domain. for an intra domain connection, when proxy is talking to
its clients, then yes it does'nt need to do post connection authentication
unless the clients are capable of it. however, it is recommended that for
this intra domain signalling, digest authentication should be used with
TLS. hence, this digest over TLS presents a pretty secured model.

things are different for inter domain connection though! it makes most
sense to perform mutual authentication (post-connection) for inter domain
signalling. for client side, its straignt forward. however, RFC also
mentions recommendations (section 26.3.2.2) for server side to verify the
certificate for domainname portion of the From header. this makes much
sense, coz interdomain signalling SHOULD be going thru proxies (which
should be able to present certificates), and there should'nt be more than
one interdomain hop involved in a sip session establishement.

as a side note, its highly unlikely (atleast inefficient) to have parsed
the message (for via) while TLS connection is still happening. hence, it
makes more sense to authenticate the certificate against the domain
of source IP addr in the connection instead of IP addr mention in Via
header.

regards,
-amit.

> >connection. What should UAS1 do? use TLS w/out certificates?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying
as an income tax refund.
   -- gnulib