Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:38:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management 
			  in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Peterson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
The existing mechanisms for expressing identity in the Session
Initiation Protocol oftentimes do not permit an administrative domain
to verify securely the identity of the originator of a request.  This
document recommends practices and conventions for authenticating end
users, and proposes a way to distribute cryptographically secure
authenticated identities within SIP messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Mark Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:41:12 -0000

Jon,

Not sure if this was in the previous version, but I have a comment on the
following from the introduction:

  "Coincidentally, the address-of-record URI of a SIP user is also the
   URI with which a SIP UA populates the From header of requests from
   that user - in other words, the address-of-record is an identity.  So
   in this context users already have a means of providing their
   identity, which makes good sense: since the contents of a From header
   field are essentially a 'return address' for SIP requests, being able
   to prove that you are eligible to receive requests for that 'return
   address' should be identical to proving that you are authorized to
   assert this identity."

I agree that prove of eligability to receive requests for an address is a
sufficient condition for being authorised to assert an identity, but I do
not think it is necessary.

I can imagine scenarios in which I am authorised to assert an address as my
identity, but I am not eligable to receive requests for that address. Just
because I have an outgoing call service does not mean I have an incoming
calls service.

So, I suggest replacing "identical to proving" with "sufficient to prove" in
the above paragraph.

Regards...Mark

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 07 March 2003 20:39
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-identity-01.txt
> 
>