Subject: [Sip] Difference between dialog and session in SIP?

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:02:36 +0800

Dear all:

I am a little confused about the concept of a dialog.  What exactly is the
difference between a dialog and a session?  Does dialog mean a "call has
already been setup" in the signaling sense, while a session mean the "media
has already been setup" in the media sense?

Also, what does "part of a dialog" mean?  Are "INVITE", "ACK" and the
responses considered "part of a dialog"?

What does "outside the dialog" mean then?  Is a request is outside the
dialog, does it still affect or change anything "inside the dialog" then?

Thanks very much in advance,

Regards,

Patrick

---

From: "Shane McCormack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:05:27 +0100

Hi, 
I wish to implement a sip servlet that subscribes to different users that
can theoretically receive geographical location NOTIFY reports. Would the
correct scenario be for a servlet to send these SUBSCRIBE messages to each
user or use a non-SIP entity such as a GPS Location Server?

Regards

Shane McCormack

Research Assistant,
TSSG, Confederation House, 
Waterford Business Park, Cork Road, 
Waterford, Co. Waterford. 

Phone: +353 51 302927     Fax: +353 51 302901 
Mobile: +353 87 9955505 
<http://www.tssg.org/> 
MSN: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>