Subject: [Sip] Unknown via-params

From: Alex Bligh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:11:52 +0100

SHOULD / MUST SIP devices ignore/strip/reject via-params that are not
defined by RFC3261?

IE if I build a proxy which inserts a proprietary via-param (so
for instance inserts a Via line like):

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP host.user.com:4321;
     maddr=224.1.2.3;branch=f4fs34.1;myparam=foobar

can I guarantee that compliant proxies & UAs will ignore (rather
than reject, or, in the case of a proxy strip) the myparam=foobar?

Alex

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:13:45 -0400

> SHOULD / MUST SIP devices ignore/strip/reject 
> via-params that are not defined by RFC3261?

The receiver MUST echo them back.  However 
extra Via parameters were not part of rfc2543.  
Thus some older devices might strip the extra 
parameters or reject the message.