Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'S/MIME AES Requirement for SIP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:34:42 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'S/MIME AES Requirement for SIP '
   <draft-ietf-sip-smime-aes-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   RFC3261 currently specifies 3DES as the required minimum ciphersuite
   for implementations of S/MIME in SIP.  This document updates the
   normative guidance of RFC3261 to require the Advanced Encryption
   Standard (AES) for S/MIME.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The Working Group supported this document.  It was adopted immediately
   on its initial airing.  It was gated by progress on S/MIME support.
 
 Protocol Quality
 
   General S/MIME implementation for SIP has been fairly slow to progress.  
   Some prototype implementations have been tested at the SIP 
   interoperability events, without testing their cryptography to date.

The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin and Russ
Housley.

RFC Editor Notes 

OLD:
   S/MIME implementations MUST at a minimum support RSA as a digital
   signature algorithm, SHA1 as a digest algorithm, and AES as an
   encryption algorithm (as specified in [4].  For key wrap, S/MIME
   implementations MUST support the AES Key Wrap Algorithm ([5]).  

NEW:
   S/MIME implementations MUST at a minimum support RSA as a digital
   signature algorithm and SHA1 as a digest algorithm [ xx],  and AES as
   an encryption algorithm (as specified in [yy]).  For key transport, 
   S/MIME implementations MUST support RSA key transport as specified
   in section 4.2.1 of [xx].  

RFC Editor, replace [xx] with the citation number of a reference to RFC 3370
added to the Normative References.  Replace [yy] with the citation number
of a reference to RFC 3565 added to the Normative References.

3370 Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Algorithms. R. Housley.
    August 2002.

3565 Use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Encryption
     Algorithm in Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS). J. Schaad.
     July 2003.

****

Abstract

OLD:
  required minimum ciphersuite
NEW:
  mandatory-to-implement ciphersuite

****

Section 4

OLD:
  Triples-DES

NEW:
  Triple-DES

****

   Several places: Adjust line breaks to avoid funny
   line break placement --  Avoid  S/ <CR><LF> MIME

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip