Subject: [Sip] History-Info: Processing of Reason header in responses

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:21:42 -0400

Hi all,

Per my posting on the SIPPING list, the currently agreed option for the
Reason header proposal for redirection would impact the History-Info
processing because it was never considered to capture the Reason header from
a response as part of the History-Info entries,  but rather the SIP response
codes are used to generate a new Reason header associated with a specific
retargeted-uri.  Independent of whether the WG progresses the redirection
reason proposal, there is a general issue as to whether the History-Info
should use the Reason header in the responses in the case of retargeting.
Per RFC 3328, you can have multiple Reason headers, however, only one SIP
reason header.  And, while the typical scenario for Reason header was for
requests, it doesn't preclude the use of the header in responses.  

So, it does seem in terms of completeness, History-Info should specify the
general processing if there is a Reason header in the response.  I'm
proposing to add some discussion to section 4.3.3.1.2 replacing the existing
1st sentence of the 1st paragraph:
"For retargets that are the result of an explicit SIP response, the SIP
Response Code that triggered the retargeting MUST be included in the Reason
header field of the Request URI that has been retargeted."

 with something like the following:
"For retargets that are the result of an explicit SIP response, a Reason
header field MUST be included.  If the SIP response does not include a
Reason header, the SIP Response Code that triggered the retargeting MUST be
included in the Reason header field of the Request URI that has been
retargeted.  If the response contains a non-SIP Reason header, it MUST be
captured as an additional Reason associated with the Request URI that has
been retargeted, along with the SIP Response Code.  If the Reason header is
a SIP reason, then it MUST be used rather than the SIP response code." 

I'd appreciate any concerns be raised by the end of this week (Oct. 8). 

Thanks,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip