Subject: [Sip] Join header (draft-ietf-sip-join-03.txt) unnecessary?

From: "Christian Jansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:05:07 +0200

Why do we need a Join header to be able to indicate that we want to join
an ongoing session? Wouldn't it be enough to, for the party that wants
to join, actually use the call-id for the session when sending the
join-INVITE? Suppose A and B are in a session with the dialog identified
by call-id=12345;tag=A;tag=B. If C now wants to join the session he
sends an INVITE to A or B with call-id=12345, from-tag=C, and an empty
to-tag. Wouldn't it make more sense that the 2 dialog-ids had some parts
in common, that is the call-id, and something that distinguished them,
that is the to and from tags? It would be much easier to find the
session related messages as they would share the same call-id.

Have I missed some essential part of the Join header, or are we just
adding something that we could already express easily with what we
already have?

/ Christian Jansson, Hotsip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip