Subject: [Sip] jon's rodeo of certificate savings!

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:06:52 -0400

Let's see if this survives anyone's spam filters.

Here's a round-up of the certificate business as seen through Google this
afternoon. This is far from an exhaustive list - basically, it's as many as
I was able to go through before I got bored.

Enrollment price for a certificate (contracting lasting a single year) is
given - multi-year contracts generally provide a lower cost per annum. Only
the lowest-cost applicable certificates offered by a particular provider are
listed. I've tried to limit this to CAs whose root cert is currently
distributed with IE, but in some cases I couldn't be exactly sure (all
promise compatibility with over 95% of existing web browsers). Only
certificates that cost less than US$100 per year are listed. About half of
the CAs provide free 30-day trial certificates. 

This mail does not constitute an endorsement of any of these services.

RegisterFly - $25 (special offer: $9!)
http://registerfly.com/ssl/
("instant signup process (as little as 5 minutes)")

FreeSSL - $39 (special offer: $19 - act now, supplies are limited (by the
DNS namespace size)!)
http://www.freessl.com/
("issued in minutes, installed in seconds!")
Uses the StarterSSL root. Another reseller:
http://www.ev1servers.net/english/starterssldetails.asp
... is apparently selling StarterSSL certs for only $4.95!

GoDaddy SSL - $49 (special offer: $29)
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/turbo.asp?isc=sslgol003t
(certificate issued "within minutes")

InstantSSL - $49
http://www.instantssl.com/
("certificates can be issued instantly" thanks to some proprietary thingy
they run)

DigiCertSSL - $99
http://www.digicert.com/SSL-Server-certificatee.html

GeoTrust - $149 - but if you're currently a Thawte/Verisign customer, only
$69 to enroll!
http://www.geotrust.com/jump/upgrade-ssl-certificate.html
(promises to issue a certificate in 10 minutes or less, sort of like pizza I
guess)

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip