Subject: [Sip] RFC 3263 (NAPTR/SRV) procedure question on "TARGET"

From: Thomas Froment <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:04:52 +0100

In section 4 of RFC 3263 (Client usage for Locating SIP Servers):
it is written:

We define TARGET as the value of the maddr parameter of the URI, if 
present, otherwise, the host value of the hostport component of the URI.

THEN,
in section 4.1: if no transport protocol is specified, but the TARGET is 
a numeric IP address, the client SHOULD use UDP for a SIP URI, and TCP 
for a SIPS URI.
Similarly, if no transport protocol is specified, and the TARGET is not 
numeric, but an explicit port is provided, the client SHOULD use UDP for 
a SIP URI, and TCP for a SIPS URI

Ok, no question with that, but just after that we have the opposite case:

Otherwise, if no transport protocol or port is specified, and the target 
is not a numeric IP address,
the client SHOULD perform a NAPTR query *for the domain in the URI*

My question: should we perform a NAPTR query for the domain in the 
*(Request) URI* or in the *TARGET* ?
because the maddr parameter (i.e. the TARGET if maddr exists) is not a 
numeric IP Address BUT the Request URI may still be an IP Address
at this step of the algorithm.

any help welcome,

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip