Subject: [Sip] Via

From: "Karnam, Swamy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:21:04 -0500

Hi,

   This is my first post here and am a little bit unfamiliar with the
process.

   Hopefully, I am not asking something that has been answered.

   My comment is on RFC 3261.

   In a 302 Response message, there is a contact field that represents a
direct route to the destination.

   What if I want the message to be redirected to this contact via a
sequence of hops ?  Basically I want the

   Contact field to contact a Via string.

   Thanks,

   Swamy

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:16:34 -0600

Followups to sip-implementors please.

On Jan 20, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Karnam, Swamy wrote:

>     In a 302 Response message, there is a contact field that 
> represents a direct route to the destination.

Not QUITE sure what your use case here. It sounds like what you want to 
do is something like the service-route operation and return a string 
that would be used as a default route on requests to the target 
returned as a result of redirection.

This presumes that the party issuing the redirect understands the 
routing topology as viewed by the originating UA well enough to build a 
route, which is not likely to be the general case. So this is pretty 
likely to explode in some sort of useless way.

But I suspect you could return a Contact URI with an attached Route 
header-field to get something like this beahvior.

--
Dean