Subject: RE: [Sip] Interpreting Missing Content-Disposition

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:21:15 -0500

No.  The language is clear:
"... if the Content-Disposition header field
is missing, the server SHOULD assume bodies of Content-Type
application/sdp are the disposition "session", while other content
types are "render"."

Answer: Yes, unless you have a good reason not to.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shekar, Nagesh Soma (Shekar)** CTR ** [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 8:56 AM
To: 'sip-ietf'
Subject: [Sip] Interpreting Missing Content-Disposition

Could someone help me interpret RFC 3261 related to the the case when 
the Content-Disposition header is missing from an Invite. 

The verbage below clearly specifies that if the handling parameter is
missing 
from a Content disposition header, then it should be assumed that the
Disposition 
is required.  Extra-polating that, should a missing Content-Disposition
header be 
treated as a required Disposition. 

Here is the snippet from RFC 3261, section 20.11 about Content Disposition.

Several new "disposition-types" of the Content-Disposition header are
defined by SIP. The value "session" indicates that the body part
describes a session, for either calls or early (pre-call) media. The
value "render" indicates that the body part should be displayed or
otherwise rendered to the user. Note that the value "render" is used
rather than "inline" to avoid the connotation that the MIME body is
displayed as a part of the rendering of the entire message (since the
MIME bodies of SIP messages oftentimes are not displayed to users).
For backward-compatibility, if the Content-Disposition header field
is missing, the server SHOULD assume bodies of Content-Type
application/sdp are the disposition "session", while other content
types are "render".

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip