Subject: [Sip] Are duplicate entries allowed in the Route and Record-Route?

From: "Judy Yi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:35:32 -0500

Are duplicate entries allowed in the Route and Record-Route? 

E.g. is the following Route header valid? 
Route: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

Thanks,
Judy

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:58:56 -0500

> Are duplicate entries allowed in the 

Yes.  If duplicate record-route entries are added by a proxy, it is
responsible for ensuring subsequent requests traverse the resulting route
correctly.

If duplicate pre-loaded Route entries are added by a UA, there is no
guarantee that the request will traverse the duplicates as the UA might have
desired.  Per rfc3261 section 16.3 number 4, it might trigger a 482 response
if the device is unwilling to honor the spiral.