Subject: [Sip] RE: Question to Identity draft & cert draft

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:05:05 -0400

That language has been substantially changed in sip-identity-05. The whole idea of using a SIPS URI for this has been removed; it was ugly and in many ways non-functional.
 
Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Francois Audet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 3:41 PM
To: 'Cullen Jennings'; Peterson, Jon
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Question to Identity draft & cert draft

Cullen/Jon, 

I'm a little confused by the following paragraph in draft-ietf-sip-identity-04 
in section 10: 

   The Identity-Info header MUST contain either an HTTPS URI or a SIPS 
   URI.  If it contains an HTTPS URI, the URI must dereference to a 
   resource that contains a single MIME body containing the certificate 
   of the authentication service.  If it is a SIPS URI, then the 
   authentication service intends for a user agent that wishes to fetch 
   the certificate to form a TLS connection to that URI, acquire the 
   certificate during normal TLS negotiation, and close the connection. 

I understand the HTTPS URI case (which is used in the example in 
draft-ietf-sip-identity-04), but I'm not sure I understand the 
SIPS URI which is used in draft-ietf-sipping-certs-01. What do you 
mean by fetching the certificate through a TLS connection? Why would 
sips mean TLS? Do you mean fetch it using a SIP request over TLS? 
I don't understand how it works (and why HTTPS is not sufficient). 

Can you elaborate? 

I'm keeping this in SIP instead of SIPPING since one draft is SIP the other 
is SIPPING. 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip