Subject: RE: [Sip] Changing the From header

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:05:14 -0600

John,
 
Do you think we need this?
 
Seems to me this is unecessary (provided we don't require RFC 2543
backward compatibility).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Elwell, John
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 19:09
To: IETF SIP List
Subject: [Sip] Changing the From header

At yesterday's SIP session we had rough consensus on changing the From
header field URI in mid-dialog requests. We also said that no special
provision would be made to accommodate proxies that cannot cope with
this. Nothing was said about UASs that cannot cope with this. Do we need
an option tag to indicate support for a changed From header field URI
during a dialog? With such an option tag, a UA that does not receive a
Supported header field with this option tag during the dialog-forming
transaction would refrain from changing the From header field URI in
mid-dialog requests.

John 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:11:52 -0800

The consequences of not using an option tag would be that a 2543 UAS might
reject the in-dialog request with a 481. The UAC could then change back to
the original From and re-try, but if any proxies along the path are keeping
any kind of dialog/call state, they might remove that state when they saw
the 481 pass by.

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
71 Third Avenue
Burlington, MA 01803
[email-masked]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
To: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>; "IETF SIP List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: [Sip] Changing the From header

John,

-----Original Message-----

John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----