Subject: [Sip] WG Action: RECHARTER: Session Initiation Protocol (sip)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:02:44 -0500

The charter of the Session Initiation Protocol (sip) working group in the 
Transport Area of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Session Initiation Protocol (sip)
==================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Director(s):
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/index.html

Description of Working Group:
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) working group is chartered to
maintain and continue the development of SIP, currently specified as
proposed standard RFC 3261, and its family of extensions.

SIP is a text-based protocol, similar to HTTP and SMTP, for
initiating interactive communication sessions between users.
Such sessions include voice, video, chat, interactive games, and
virtual reality. The main tasks of the group involve bringing SIP
from proposed to draft standard and specifying and developing
proposed extensions that arise out of strong requirements. The SIP
working group will concentrate on the specification of SIP and its
extensions, and will not explore the use of SIP for specific
environments or applications. It will, however respond to general-
purpose requirements for changes to SIP provided by other working
groups, including the SIPPING working group, when those
requirements are within the scope and charter of SIP. The process and
requirements for such extensions are documented in RFC 3427, "Change
Process for the Session Initiation Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic model
and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Standards-track extensions and new features must be generally
applicable, and not applicable only to a specific set of session types.

3. Simplicity is key.

4. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and integrating
with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements to be considered by the SIP
Working Group is the SIPPING working group, which
analyzes the requirements for application of SIP to several different
tasks, including the tasks of standards-development organizations
that are developing systems based on SIP and that may require changes
or extensions thereto. Additional requirements are produced by the
other IETF working groups that are using SIP, including the SIMPLE WG
(which is using SIP for messaging and presence) and the XCON working
group (which is using SIP for centralized conferencing).

In addition to extending SIP as required to address these externally-
derived requirements, the deliverables of the group include assuring
capable security and privacy mechanisms within SIP and increasing
the stability of the SIP specification.

Specific deliverables toward these goals include:

1. Mechanisms for secure expression of identity in requests and
responses.

2. Mechanism to securely request services delivery by non-terminal
elements ("end-to-middle").

3. Guidelines for use of existing security mechanisms such as TLS,
IPsec, and certificates.

4. Guidelines for the use of descriptive techniques such as SAML
(Security Association Markup Language) with SIP.

5. Draft standard versions of SIP and critical supporting
specifications.

Other deliverables may be agreed upon as extensions are understood
to be necessary. Prospective deliverables will be discussed
with the Area Director before inclusion on agendas, and new
proposed work must be approved via a charter update.

Goals and Milestones:
Done    Server Features Negotiation submitted to IESG  
Done    Complete IESG requested fixes to provrel and servfeat  
Done    Revised proposed standard version of SIP (2543bis) submitted to IESG  
Done    SIP Events specification to IESG  
Done    The UPDATE Method submitted for Proposed Standard  
Done    SIP extensions for media authorization (call-auth) submitted as
Informational  
Done    Preconditions extensions (manyfolks) spec to IESG  
Done    SIP Privacy specification to IESG  
Done    SIP Privacy and Security Requirements to IESG  
Done    The MESSAGE Method submitted for Proposed Standard  
Done    The Replaces Header submitted for Proposed Standard  
Done    Refer spec to IESG  
Done    SIP NAT extension submitted to IESG  
Done    SIP over SCTP specification and applicability statement  
Done    Mechanism for Content Indirection in SIP submitted to IESG for Proposed
Standard  
Done    The SIP Referred-By Header submitted to IESG for Proposed Standard  
Done    Session Timer spec, revised to IESG  
Done    Caller preferences specification submitted to IESG  
Done    Submit SIP Identity documents to IESG for Proposed Standard  
Done    The SIP Join Header submitted to IESG for Proposed Standard  
Done    Replaces header to IESG (PS)  
Done    Upgrade S/MIME requirement for AES in 3261 to IESG (PS)  
Done    Application Interaction to IESG (BCP)  
Done    Presence Publication to IESG (PS)  
Done    Resource Priority signaling mechanism to IESG (PS)  
Done    Guidelines for Authors of SIP extensions submitted as Informational  
Done    Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management to IESG (BCP)  
Done    MIB spec to IESG  
Done    Request History mechanism to IESG (PS)  
Oct 05    Mechanism for obtaining globally routable unique URIs (GRUU) to IESG
(PS)  
Oct 05    Mechanism for REFER without implicit SUBSCRIBE to IESG (PS)  
Nov 05    Connection reuse mechanism to IESG (PS)  
Dec 05    Mechanism for Target-Dialog to IESG (PS)  
Jan 06    Mechanism for feature parameters with REFER To IESG (PS)  
Feb 06    Mechanism and guidelines for outbound connections to IESG (PS)  
Feb 06    Guidelines for Using Certificates with SIP to IESG (BCP)  
Mar 06    Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)  
Apr 06    Mechanism for End-to-Middle Requests to IESG (PS)  
Apr 06    Mechanism for Response Identity to IESG (PS)  
Jul 06    Using SAML for SIP (PS)  
Jul 06    Revise Charter, including developing a task for a roadmap that will
identify the "critical supporting specifications" and map out the Draft Standard
interoperability report effort  

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip