Subject: [Sip] RE: Comment on draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-00

From: "David Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:21:46 +0200

Hi Otmar.

First of all I believe the correct place is in SIP and not SIPPING. 

As for the comments...

I tried to stay away from floating point values for performance reasons. 

My question is, why would you need to insert a value BETWEEN other values?
Why not just add a new higher value? Are you referring to cases where the
new value is a subset of another value?. Can you think of an example? 

As for proposal to use 40,50, etc., I usually try to stay away from
solutions that make things "a little better". If indeed there is a need for
values between existing values than using 40,50, etc. is not a real solution
since it only makes things a little better. 

As for your comment on the complexity of the example I agree. I was focusing
more on which attributes to use and less on the actual syntax. I took this
example from many others such examples on the web. If I did do this, though,
the xmlns would have to be the Trusted Anchor and not the originating MI as
these newly defined attributes need to be agreed on by all participants of
the federation and not just the two MI's in question. 

I hope to release an updated version with this and a few other changes
shortly so if you have any other input feel free to respond.

Thanks,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Otmar Lendl [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 6:48 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Comment on draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-00

Hello,

as I'm not sure whether this draft is supposed to be discussed in sip or
sipping, I'm writing directly to you:

After a quick reading of draft-schwartz-sipping-spit-saml-00 I'm
wondering:

* e.g. 5.1.1: 
	The numerical values maybe fine to denote the strength levels
	you have in mind now, but they do not offer any space for
	adding new notions which lie between current values.

	I'd recommend you change the values from 0,1,2,3,4 to
	0,10,20,30,40 to accomodate future enhancements.

* The XML (SAML) framents look overly complex:
	I haven't read the SAML spec itself, but the example

	<Attribute
		AttributeName="IdentityStrength"
		AttributeNamespace="http://mio.com">
		<AttributeValue>2
		</AttributeValue>
	</Attribute>

	looks overly contorted. Why not the following?

	<IdentityStrength xmlns="http://mio.com">2</IdentityStrength>

cheers,

/ol
--
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip