Subject: [Sip] message UPDATE

From: "Maxime JOSSET" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:53:24 +0100

Hi folks,

A call is initiated bye a SIP INVITE message, then 10 minutes after, peer A
send a message UPDATE ( I don’t know why) to which the remote peer B doesn’t
send anything but ICMP message “ destination unreachable (port unreachable)”

A few message UDATE later without response and a few seconds more later, the
remote peer sends a BYE message to close the communication.

Do you think that this is the flow of UDATE that make the remote peer close
the com ?

Why does the peer A send the message UPDATE after 1O minutes time …

Do you think about a bad configuration of one peer ?

Thanks for your replies,

Best regards to the community,

Maxime Josset 

Ingénieur NOC

Tel :  +33(0)1 75 00 83 68

Gsm : +33(0)6 16 75 04 36

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

15-17 rue Auber

75009 Paris

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:02:34 -0500

> Do you think that this is the flow of UPDATE that 
> make the remote peer close the com ?

The lack of response to UPDATE can trigger a BYE.

> Why does the peer A send the message UPDATE 
> after 1O minutes time .
 
It is most likely sent to refresh the session or check if the session still
exists.

> Do you think about a bad configuration of one peer ?

It could be a bad configuration or intended behavior by the device sending
the ICMP message "destination unreachable (port unreachable)".  It depends
upon how the device allocates ports, the status of the device, and the
status of the dialog.