Subject: [Sip] Updated hitchhikers guide

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:30:44 -0400

I've submitted an update to the hitchhikers guide draft, now as a SIP WG 
-00 draft. Until it appears, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-00.txt

The changes from the last version are:

* Removed concept of SIP family of specifications; as suggested at the
last meeting this really belongs in some kind of draft-ietf-rai
document

* redefined set of documents in scope to now include SDP extensions
and MIME objects meant for SIP.

* redefined core specifications per my proposal on the list, moved RFC
3323 to general purpose, and added RFC 3264, SDP-new, callee-caps,
ICE, rtcp sdp attribute, sdp grouping framework, fork-loop-fix and
connected-identity to the set of core specs

* added a new topic area of confernecing, and moved the conference
event package, media-label attribute, Join header field, and
uri-list-conferencing there. Join also appears under call control
primitives, and the conference package under event packages

* clarified in the introduciton that specifications can appear in more
than one place

* updated references for those drafts that have issued as RFC since
the last version

* added RFC 3204 (MIME objects for ISUP and QSIG), RFC 3959 (early
session disposition type) to telephony specs

* added RFC 4483 (content indirection), RFC 3890 (transport
independent bandwidth modifier), SDP-bfcp, connectivity preconditions,
SDP content attribute as a minor extension

* added RFC 3420 (message/sipfrag), RFC 4145 (SDP comedia), RFC 4091
(SDP ANAT) and ICE-tcp to general purpose extensions

* added RFC 3893 (AIB), comedia-tls, draft-ietf-sip-certs, security
preconditions, to security extensions

* added RFC 3524 (SDP grouping for mapping media streams to resource
reservation flows) to QoS specs

* did NOT add sdescriptions or kmgmt-ext to the list, largely because
we are still sorting out what really is the media encryption solution
for RTP.

* added session specific policy package to the event packages list,
added event-list subscription there

* added RFC 4240 (netann) to SIP service URIs

* didnt add draft-ietf-sipping-xcap-config yet; wait to see how this
fully shakes out

* added reference [42] to hitchhikers guide

* added towel reference

* expanded PGGB to Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip