Subject: RE: [Sip] outbound i-d update?

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:24:03 +0200

Hi, 

>>Please do not forget about the effort to get the SIP Outbound
autodiscovery defined to rely on configuring only one 
>>single URI with which the UA is able to derive the addresses of
multiple proxies. I would hope to keep the door still 
>>open for such a solution.
>
>i don't like a single URI alternative at all, since a single URI may
result into a single host.  there must be at least 
>two URIs in outbound proxy set.

I think that is a network/DNS configuration issue.

>>There has been some requests on the list to have it possible for a
mobile device to keep only a single flow open in 
>>order to save the battery. I still think SRV has a way to facilitate
load balancing even if the basic SRV has always 
>>aimed at one single connection per client. By maintaining one single
flow the UA does not get as high reliability as 
>>with multiple flows, but I think load balancing could still be
achieved.
>
>if there is only one flow open, you can forget fault tolerance, since
there is only one proxy that can at any time reach 
>the UA.

I think that can be mentioned in the document, but I still think the
operator should be able to choose. Because, there may be other ways to
provide fault tolerance than using multiple IP addresses.

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:15:03 +0300

> provide fault tolerance than using multiple IP addresses.

i know, since at the moment we are using those "other ways" and i can
tell you that they are not fun.  but you are right in that if a domain
only advertises one outbound URI, which resolves to only one proxy host,
then let it be that way.  it is domain's call.

however, the important thing is that IF domain advertises more than one
outbound URI or a single URI that resolve(s) to more than one proxy
host, then UA MUST keep flows open to at least two of those proxy hosts.

without this above requirement, outbound-id doesn't add any real value
over what we have today.

-- juha

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:21:10 -0700

> without this above requirement, outbound-id doesn't add any real value

Agree - I been tryiing to write this so the

UA need to implement support for multliple flows - at least two and  
should do four can do more

Operator of a domain can choose how many to use