Subject: [Sip] Cipher suites in SIP

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:26:12 -0500

Hi,

   In "wacky thread" I replied to David Oran's question on Cipher
suites. Now it is available as ID.
I will appreciate your comments on this. Mike Hammer also came up with
the same viewpoint. But due to 00 version deadline and me working on
weekend, I could not connect with him. 

I was referring to one of discussion thread between Jonathan and Dean on
the Proxy-Require / Supported after the submission. I think transport
security level features were not considered earlier. For the ironclad
encryption protection, we need Proxy-Require for ACK of non-2xx. This is
due to _stateless_ proxies. Naturally it need to have the same tag as
that of INVITE. 

There has been warnings for SRV etc lookups for the stateless proxies in
Section 4.4 of RFC 3263.
We can add the similar warnings for this or allow Proxy-Require/Require.
This point has been missed in this version. Or have I missed something ?

Thx
Samir 

	Title		: Ensuring End to End Cipher Suites in SIP
	Author(s)	: S. Srivastava
	Filename	: draft-srivastava-sip-e2e-ciphersuites-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-6-20
	
   The security mechanism currently offered by SIP is essentially hop-
   by-hop and not end-to-end.  The current SIP specification doesn't
   guarantee that a specific level of security (encryption, digest etc)
   is employed at each hop.  This version of the draft outlines the
   solution broadly.  As the solution progresses, it will have exact
   details in the subsequent versions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-srivastava-sip-e2e-ciphersuite
s-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip