Subject: RE: [Sip] New draft on coexistence of SIP identity and P-Asserted-ID

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:55:27 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

Assume the UAC, sending a request, is located in domain A (originating
domain). The request then exists domain A via egress proxy A, and enters
domain B (transit domain) via ingress proxy B. The behavior of those
proxies are described in the draft.

Now, the request exits domain B, via proxy X, and enters domain C
(terminating domain) via ingress proxy C, and then reaches the UAS
located in domain C.

My question is: what is proxy X? As far as I understand it's not an
egress proxy (as defined by the draft), since the domain (domain B) does
not match the From header (domain A). Does the mechanism in the draft
have any impacts on proxy X behavior (should it add/remove
P-Asserted/Identity-Info etc) in the first place?

Regards,

Christer

(NOTE: In this example none of the proxies are B2BUAs, so the question
is not related to the issue with having B2BUAs in a transit domain.)

> As folks know, we have defined both P-Asserted-ID and SIP-identity. 
> Though the intention is for SIP-identity to replace P-Asserted-ID, 
> there are a number of practical challenges in doing this. SIP identity

> requires both sides of the call to support it, and it doesn't work at 
> all with b2buas with media (whether THAT is a bug or a feature is a 
> matter of perspective).
> 
> I've written an I-D that describes a pretty straightforward technique 
> for allowing both mechanisms to simultaneously co-exist. Its backwards

> compatible with rfc3325 and works in the presence of b2bua's under 
> many (but not all) conditions. The essential idea is to use SIP 
> identity inter-domain and P-Asserted-ID intra-domain. Until it appears

> in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:
> 
> http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-identity-coexistence
> -00.txt
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> Jonathan R.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:44:12 -0400

inline.

Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) wrote:

> not match the From header (domain A). 

Right.

> Does the mechanism in the draft

Yeah, this isn't in the draft. it would remove P-Asserted-ID if present. 
It shouldn't normally be present since the ingress to domain B would 
have removed it if there.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com