From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:05:20 -0400

TLD
NOT contain the gruu Contact header field parameter, and the contact
URI itself SHOULD NOT contain the "grid" URI parameter defined below. Any
such parameters are ignored by the
registrar, as the UA cannot propose a GRUU for usage with the
contact. Furthermore, the contact URI SHOULD NOT contain the "gruu"
URI parameter, since a UA cannot register a GRUU as a contact URI and
ask for the registrar to assign that contact a GRUU. Note, however,
that a UA could include, in a registration, a contact that is a GRUU;
however, in such a case, the "instance" Contact header field would
absent. This would be similar to including an AOR in the contact URI
of a registration.
</t>

> - section 7.1.2.1 : should the REGISTER response contain a Supported or
> Require header?

Neither in fact. In the previous version, Require was required since the 
UA *had* to use the GRUU in order to properly process the response. As 
of -07 this is not needed, since with the "gruu" URI param, actual usage 
of the gruu is now optional, and nothing breaks if the UA doesn't use it.

> 
> I suppose even if the UA is not requesting GRUUs, the registrar could still
> indicate support for them, such that the UA knows it can request them. So a
> suggestion might be: if REGISTER contains Supported: gruu, response MUST
> have Require, else it SHOULD have Supported

Per above Require isn't needed. Your idea of including Supported is 
interesting. However it brings us back into the vortex, discussed a few 
times on the list, of the scope of these values - does this mean all 
registrars in the domain support it? Is it supported for the specific 
AOR being registered or any AOR can get a gruu? etc. So I'd rather avoid it.

> 
> - section 14.3 : This text still refers to Supported: gruu as the mechanism
> to indicate that Contact is a GRUU

Fixed.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip