Subject: Re: [Sip] ISSUE 2 in Hitchhikers guide to SIP: What constitutes Core SIP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:55:28 -0400

old thread, but the -00 deadline is approaching and I want to get this 
one submitted. Comments inline:

David R Oran wrote:

>  From the peanut gallery:
> 
> Rather than suck everything that touches SIP into its gravity well  
> (TLS, DNS) 

Those are clearly out of scope.

> or conversely leave something out that you really need in  
> order to understand the unified field theory of SIP, let me suggest a  
> compromise: where there is a convenient grouping of things  independent 
> of SIP itself, introduce a level of indirection. Then let  somebody else 
> write a specification for that area.

I think that makes sense for things like enum, RTP, and so on. Indeed I 
think Cullen suggested it would be good for other working groups to do 
this too, and to have an NAI-level document that ties it all together.

The trouble I'm running into is that, of all of these RAI specs, the SDP 
in particular is the most tightly coupled to SIP, and hard to separate. 
I think most folks believe that SDP and rfc3264 are part of the 'sip 
suite' of specifications.

> 
> One obvious candidate here is to pull out everything having to do  with 
> NAT traversal (STUN, ICE, RFC3605, etc) and let somebody write  that up 
> separately.

Well, we more or less have done that with the nat considerations spec, 
whose purpose is exactly this. But the hitchhikers guide is different, 
its an enumeration rather than a cookbook.

So, my thinking is still to include the SDP stuff as I proposed into the 
hitchhikers guide.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip