Subject: [Sip] RE: Sip Digest, Vol 26, Issue 25

From: rahul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:59:40 +0530

I agree with Dean. Info is a great method for reusing the protocol for
propriety uses and it lets any of propriety information to flow through
INFO message. I think its better if we don't start defining its uses (as
mentioned in RFC) since it lets two party exchange any data. Examples
could be transfer of passwords in a secured and encrypted format in
mid-dialog if both party has agreed before (since Info allows any sort
of payload). One of the principal advantages of SIP I feel is its
usability as compared to other protocols since it allows the users to
define their own uses and SIP just provides framework rather protocols
governing the implementation. 
Though this is my opinion my question to the group is there a plan to
limit the use of Info to some specific uses? (Looking from the Jonathen
text as it plans to limit it to PSTN uses) .If so is there a plan to
specify the messages exchanged for some of the the following scenarios:
1. To send a password securely to the SIP UAS/UAC to continue
functioning.
2. To send a wav file to a prepaid IP multimedia phone so that it could
be played during a mid-call when the account is about to expire.
Though my knowledge in SIP is limited so please don't mind if they seem
too simple to you.
Thanks,
Rahul

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip