Subject: [Sip] draft-poretsky-sip-bench-term-00.txt

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:50:25 -0500

The new I-D "Terminology for Benchmarking SIP Networking Devices", see 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-sip-bench-term-00.txt 

talks about items on the Internet that are not documented in any RFC, such
as the SIP Control Plane and the SIP Media Plane.

- How does this fit with the Internet e2e architecture?
- Are such planes defined in any SIP related RFC or elsewhere in the IETF?
- What are the two dimensions for each plane?
- Can there be a black box benchmark without describing its behavior (for
example the behavior of a SIP proxy is well documented)?

There are several other concepts that have no definition in the IETF, though
they have a familiar ring from ITU-T documents.

Thanks, Henry

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jun 2006 13:46:29 -0600

On a similar topic, I just posted an updated version of a draft called
"SIP Performance Metrics", see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malas-performance-metrics.02.txt

This draft does not focus on the testing aspects, but rather on the
ability for vendors, subscribers, and providers to measure the
performance of their SIP elements in a production environment.  It
defines the metrics and the methods for calculating them.  It can be
used as a guideline for the development of KPI's or SLA's directly
related to SIP environments.

Thanks,

Daryl