Subject: [Sip] draft-audet-sip-sips-guidelines - usage of transport=tcp

From: Matthew Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:22:06 +0100

Hi,

I have been reading version 1 of the above draft and I am confused at
finding the following string 

"sips:registrar.example.com;transport=tcp"

in request-URI of the REGISTER examples.

I assume that the presence of the sips scheme is to instruct the UAC's stack
to use a secure mechanism, SSL, to send the REGISTER. I am unsure as to why
transport=tcp is also stated, though I accept that transport=tls is
deprecated by 3261. In that case I think would be clearer just to write  

"sips:registrar.example.com"

as surely this implies SSL over TCP.

Is "sips:registrar.example.com;transport=tcp" suggested by the draft because
"sips:registrar.example.com" might also imply a "secure mechanism whose
underlying transport is UDP based"?

Could someone clarify?

thanks

Matthew Gardiner
Software Engineer
Aculab

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip