Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-hop-limit-diagnostics-03

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:59:57 -0400

I've just submitted another version of "Diagnostic Responses for Session
Initiation Protocol Hop Limit Errors".  It should appear in the
canonical places soon, but in the mean time you can get it from:

http://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/lawrence/hopcopy/draft-ietf-sip-hop-limit-diagnostics-03.html

or

http://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/lawrence/hopcopy/draft-ietf-sip-hop-limit-diagnostics-03.txt

I've addressed most of the comments we got over the last couple of
weeks, and the spec is better for it.

There are, I think, two issues remaining for discussion:

1) Should a specific warning code be defined for this usage so that, as
Dale suggests "there is hope that an automaton (traceroute-like program)
will be able to interpret the responses".  

2) Should the suggested usage of this error response be expanded to
include more unrecoverable errors.  The argument being that it's
probably useful for other conditions that the UA would otherwise be
unable to diagnose.  My own feeling is that it should, and I'm happy to
suggest a specific list of such errors, but it seemed to me and to my
co-authors that this would be an expansion of the scope and deserved WG
discussion.

-- 
Scott Lawrence  tel:+1-781-938-5306;ext=162 or sip:[email-masked]
  sipXpbx project coordinator - SIPfoundry    http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipX
  Chief Architect             - Pingtel Corp. http://www.pingtel.com/

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:00:50 -0700

> There are, I think, two issues remaining for discussion:

I disagree - I don't think the draft of the discussion has addressed  
the issue I brought up.