Subject: Re: Wacky thead of the month award goes to ... Re: [Sip]

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:01:22 -0700

I certainly agree we need to deal with some end to end problem - the  
raisec mailing list and several other WGs are trying to figure out  
ways to make the keying of SRTP media work. I will point out that in  
3261, the solution for end to end is not sips but is S/MIME. We have  
been trying to deal with issues around S/MIME for a long time. Part  
of this has focused on making certificate management easier and  
cheaper. The Identity work has provided close to end end type  
integrity without S/MIME. We have been looking at SAML for certain  
types of assertions. We defined AIB for certain types of end to end  
assertions.

On May 30, 2006, at 7:24 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

>
>
> This is a nice encapsulation of the capabilities that are there.   
> While I agree that depracating sips is probably not useful, its  
> also clear IMHO that something needs to be put in place to allow  
> for end-to-end secure signaling.  If sips can be morphed simply to  
> do that then lets do it.  If it can't, lets forget about sips and  
> figure out a way to solve the end-to-end problem.
>
> The end-to-end problem is hard given the basic architecture of SIP  
> but is also the problem that once solved will really boost the  
> usefulness of SIP in general, again, IMHO.
>
> FM
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------
> On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:02:51 -0700, Cullen Jennings  
> <[email-masked]> wrote:

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip