Subject: [Sip] outbound-keepalive question

From: zhou hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:51:29 +0800

Hi,
In draft-ietf-sip-outbound-03 says " This document defines a new STUN
usage for inband connectivity checks. The only STUN messages required by
this usage are Binding Requests, Binding Responses, and Error Responses.
The UAC sends Binding Requests over the same UDP flow, TCP connection,
or TLS channel used for sending SIP messages, once a SIP registration
has been successfully processed on that flow". 
But in draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-03 says " There are two types of
requests defined in this specification - Binding Requests, sent over
UDP, and Shared Secret Requests, sent over TLS [6] over TCP ".
So who can tell me which one is right or both right?
Regards,
Hong

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:37:07 -0700

> UDP, and Shared Secret Requests, sent over TLS [6] over TCP ".

I think that outbound would not us the shared secret requests. Other  
STUN usages might.

-1.cisco.com) by ietf-mx.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)
	id 1Fo0fQ-0004JX-QX for [email-masked]; Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:14:02 -0400
From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Sip] outbound-keepalive question
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:37:07 -0700
To: zhou hong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

> UDP, and Shared Secret Requests, sent over TLS [6] over TCP ".

I think that outbound would not us the shared secret requests. Other  
STUN usages might.

---

From: Harrison Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:30:21 +0800

Hi,

My question's true intent is: can we send Binding Requests using TCP or
TLS in Outbound. Because rfc3489bis-03 doesn't say " Binding Requests,
sent over TCP or TLS" and it only says " Binding Requests, sent over
UDP".

Regards,
Hong

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:54:33 -0700

> My question's true intent is: can we send Binding Requests 
> using TCP or TLS in Outbound. Because rfc3489bis-03 doesn't say 
> "Binding Requests, sent over TCP or TLS" and it only says " Binding 
> Requests, sent over UDP".

Consensus at the Dallas IETF SIP meeting was to send STUN over TCP
connections, too.  .  -behave-rfc3489bis- hasn't been updated since that
meeting.

Reference http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/minutes/sip.txt which says:

	...
	Proposal: 
	Do STUN for TCP and UDP 
	Do CRLF for TCP and STUN for UDP 
	TCP KeepAlive if supported, 1 or 2 otherwise 

	Resolutions:  
	OS TCP KeepAlive should be used if the client supports it. 
	Need something more because OS TCP KeepAlive is not supported in
every client OS. 
	Consensus to use STUN for UDP 
	Consensus to use STUN for TCP, with use of OS TCP keep alive above. 
	...

-d

---

From: Tim Thome <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:45:25 -0700

> connections, too.  .  -behave-rfc3489bis- hasn't been updated since that

Concur...

Tim