Subject: [Sip] Outbound comments

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:59:02 -0400

The draft still says that in case of flow failure, the UA should retry
registering every 900...1800 seconds *forever*. For an end user, even
the first 30 minutes of waiting will seem like forever, so the UA should
abort with an error much, much sooner than that. Why say forever in the
draft then?

What is the relationship between outbound, SIP identity and perhaps also
identity-coexistance? Will outgoing requests reuse the outbound flow, is
the edge proxy also the AS, and if so how will it determine the identity
of the sender of the request? The draft could say a few words (and maybe
add to the example) also about outgoing requests.

About the default keepalive timers: the TCP timer is awfully short. A
couple of minutes keepalive interval will make the battery life of any
2G or 3G mobile phone absolutely suck. What is the reason for such an
aggressive interval, if even the worst NAT generally has binding
lifetimes ten times that?

Overall, the draft says in the introduction that this is about SIP
traversing NAT better. However, the draft isn't only about that, but
tries to solve some other n-nines reliability requirement as well. These
could be separate drafts, really.

-- 
Aki Niemi
Nokia Research Center

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:03:42 +0300

> lifetimes ten times that?

aki,

uset yleisessa kaytossa olevan natit sidoksen hengissa luokkaa 30
sekunttia.

-- juha