Subject: [Sip] Hitchhikers guide - when is it done?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:55:31 -0400

During the IETF meeting, I discussed the one current open issue in the 
Hitchhikers guide. The issue is: when does the document finish? When do 
we send to IESG to issue an RFC?

There were two approaches:

1. split the document in two. One part contains only the core specs, and 
issues relatively soon. The other part has everything else, and 
basically ends up being the last RFC produced by the SIP WG before it 
shuts its doors (which has always been 1.5 years from now for the last 5 
years).

2. keep it as one document. Issue an RFC at some point, and then revise 
it a few times as needed. We need to decide when to issue it.

I'd like to propose option 2. I think people get more value from it as a 
consolidated document. Furthermore, I'd propose that we send the 
document to IESG for consideration as informational at the instant all 
of the documents listed as 'core' have RFC numbers issued by RFC-ed.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:05:56 -0400

I like it, but I want to know why you want to wait until you have core RFC
numbers.  Whenever you put it in, you will block on normative references.
SIP will be guaranteed to move on before it issues.  You have to decide if
you try to edit it as that happens (AUTH48) or not. 

I'd submit it when it's done, and not wait. 

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:56 PM
> To: IETF SIP List
> Subject: [Sip] Hitchhikers guide - when is it done?
>

---

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:41:33 -0600

I like option 2.  I would like to see it submitted sooner rather than
later.  Any pending or new RFC's can be added to a new revision, which
will obsolete this one down the road. --Daryl

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:43:11 -0500

Sorry for being the voice out on the left field, but I think 1
is better.  Once the 'core' documents have RFC numbers, it makes
sense to go ahed and publish that as an Informational (maybe
name it "A Hitchhikers Guide to SIP - Part 1: Core Specification").

Then deal with the current I-Ds and other work as a separate
Informational, probably named "A Hitchhikers Guide to SIP -
Part 2: Extensions".  The first RFC will have an informative
reference to the second to-be RFC, so readers can be warned
that the document is split into to (plus the naming convention
of the title is a clue).

With Part 2 being in flux for a while, I would presume that it
would be easier from a process point of view to rev a I-D than
it is to obsolete or update a RFC.

Plus there is some poetic justice in the SIP WG closing doors
when the last RFC issued is one that (partially) summarizes what
we have done as a WG.  Too bad RFC number 4242 is already taken.

Thanks.

> of the documents listed as 'core' have RFC numbers issued by RFC-ed.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, Inc.
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:57:04 -0500

> we have done as a WG.  Too bad RFC number 4242 is already taken.

I'm aiming for RFC 5060.

--
Dean