Subject: RE: [Sip] SMS via VoIP

From: Charles Kristofek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:22:19 -0500

There are 2 models in SIP for sending IMs (paging and session).

Paging mode has the UA client sending the MESSAGE method to pass the
information. Please refer to RFC 3428.

Session mode has the UA client sending the INVITE method to establish a
session first.

For SMS via SIP, the MESSAGE method carrying the text
within the body of the method to the SMSC (or application server)
mimics 2G.

The establishment of a session via INVITE mimics IM where
peer information can be relayed, such as "typing".

Chuck K.

------------------------------
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:10:27 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sip] SMS via VoIP
To: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

   From: "vamsi" <[email-masked]>

   Thanks for the message.  But for MESSAGE conversation, what kind of
   codec is used, that is audio codec or any other specified codec?
   As per RFC 3551 Audio and video codecs are specified.

A MESSAGE request contains the text content directly.  See RFC 3438
for details.  (I don't think anyone has specified how to carry
recorded audio segments as messages.)

For extended interchange of messages, as Fenar says, you set up a
dialog (using INVITE) and specify the use of MSRP in the SDP.

As others have noted, if you want to interoperage with 3GPP, its
specificaitons are available.

Dale

------------------------------

THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, COPYRIGHTED,  OR OTHER  
LEGALLY PROTECTED INFORMATION.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT 
(EVEN IF THE E-MAIL ADDRESS ABOVE IS YOURS), YOU MAY NOT USE, COPY 
OR RETRANSMIT IT.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS BY MISTAKE, OR WISH TO BE
REMOVED FROM A MAILING LIST, PLEASE NOTIFY US BY RETURN E-MAIL AT
 [email-masked], THEN DELETE.  THANK YOU.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "vamsi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:43:23 +0530

In RFC 3428, section 3, " MESSAGE requests do not establish dialogs".

 Does "Paging mode" mean that with out establishing a actual/voice session,
UA client can send IM to UA server?  

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Kristofek [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 2:52 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sip] SMS via VoIP

For SMS via SIP, the MESSAGE method carrying the text within the body of the
method to the SMSC (or application server) mimics 2G.

The establishment of a session via INVITE mimics IM where peer information
can be relayed, such as "typing".

Chuck K.

A MESSAGE request contains the text content directly.  See RFC 3438 for
details.  (I don't think anyone has specified how to carry recorded audio
segments as messages.)

For extended interchange of messages, as Fenar says, you set up a dialog
(using INVITE) and specify the use of MSRP in the SDP.

Dale

THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, COPYRIGHTED,  OR OTHER
LEGALLY PROTECTED INFORMATION.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT (EVEN
IF THE E-MAIL ADDRESS ABOVE IS YOURS), YOU MAY NOT USE, COPY OR RETRANSMIT
IT.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS BY MISTAKE, OR WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM A
MAILING LIST, PLEASE NOTIFY US BY RETURN E-MAIL AT
[email-masked], THEN DELETE.  THANK YOU.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip