Subject: [Sip] Where I think we're at with Outbound keepalive (poll results)

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:39:38 -0600

Note that this is posted with my "chair hat" firmly in place.

At IETF 67, the sense of the room was that we should use STUN as a  
keepalive mechanism for Outbound in both TCP and UDP scenarios.

Since then, we've had a whole lot of list discussion. Not everybody  
has weighed in, but I think we've mostly changed our minds. I changed  
mine, anyhow.

Here's what I've concluded from the polls and list discussion:

We generally agree that we need to make a decision and move outbound  
forward. I don't think anybody disagrees here.

We are undecided about the future of the UDP vs TCP debate, and  
generally don't think we can usefully conclude anything about that in  
the context of the Outbound draft. Some of us would like to, but the  
general sense is that we should not hold up Outbound in trying to do  
so. We should continue to have that discussion, but not in the  
context of Outbound.

I believe that the current rough consensus is to keep Outbound pretty  
much as it currently is, but to change the keepalive mechanism for  
TCP connections. Most of the folks seem to believe that CRLF is  
entirely adequate for keepalive over TCP, and that in environments  
where it is supported, TCP-level keepalive (SO_KEEPALIVE) is also  
adequate. The general rule would seem to be "If you can do  
SO_KEEPALIVE with a timer less than 10 minutes, use it, and if not,  
then use the CRLF technique."

So I would like to know: Who, if anybody, strongly disagrees with the  
preceding approach? If you DISAGREE, please post to that effect, and  
explain what you think the problem is and why we should stay with the  
IETF-67 agreement to use STUN for both TCP and UDP.

This is getting time-critical (author needs to make changes before  
cut-off), so I'll expect any dissenting positions to be raised on- 
list by the end of the week, Feb. 23.

Thanks!

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip