Subject: Re: [Sip] News flash: Verizon appears to have exclusive rights to IP telephony and SIP proxy operations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:43:00 +0200 (EET)

there must be earlier publications that state that any ip
application can run on any layer 2 technology for which an ip driver has
been written.  that is the one of the very basic properties of ip
networks.  u.s. patent system is completely brain damaged (by cleaver
lawyers) if one needs to patent each application for each possible ip over
layer 2 technology.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:13:31 -0500

From: [email-masked]

   there must be earlier publications that state that any ip
   application can run on any layer 2 technology for which an ip
   driver has been written.  that is the one of the very basic
   properties of ip networks.

OK, now do we have a reference to the SIP registrar/proxy system
before March 1996?

   u.s. patent system is completely brain damaged (by cleaver lawyers)
   if one needs to patent each application for each possible ip over
   layer 2 technology.

The major failing of the US patent system is that it isn't
particularly good at thoroughly checking the prior art.  The patent
office will search the literature that is easy to search.  But the
patent office assumes that if a patent becomes economically important
(and the bulk of them do not), the other companies that would like to
make the device without paying royalties will spend the money to do
the prior art research well.  But that is probably the least-cost
strategy for society as a whole, since the validity of the bulk of
patents is of no real importance.

It sounds horribly inefficient, but in the context of making and
selling high-tech devices, where it can easily take millions of
dollars of investment to bring something to market, litigation isn't
really that expensive.

Dale