Subject: [Sip] query on sip-outbound and sip-connect-reuse

From: "Malleswara Rao Ankem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:33:07 +0530

Hello,
 I've a query on sip-outbound draft (-08) which indicates that a TCP
connection (flow) established by the client be re-used by the edge proxy.
While the sip-connect-reuse draft (-07) indicates that only a TCP connection
established for TLS (by the client) should be re-used by the edge proxy as
there is a security threat incase the TCP connection is re-used.
Was this not considered or it was mentioned in outbound draft somewhere but
I overlooked it.

Also, in sip-outbound if the client needs to be reachable on UDP and on TCP
does the client need to establish, register and maintain (keepalive) two
different "flows" to the registrar? which would basically means two
different REGISTER cycles with same instance id but different reg-id?

-regds
Mallesh
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:50:12 +0100

> Was this not considered or it was mentioned in outbound draft somewhere but

The reason is that for the server-to-server case, for which
connect-reuse is meant, you can't trust a connection unless both parties
are authenticated, and currently the only way to do this in SIP is to do
mutual auth in TLS.

This is not the case with outbound, where Digest authentication
effectively does mutual auth. Of course a better option is to do one way
authenticated TLS and then on top of that have Digest authenticate the
client.

> different REGISTER cycles with same instance id but different reg-id?

I guess. I have no idea why you would want to do that though.

Cheers,
Aki