Subject: [Sip] When does the registrar have to create GRUUs ?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:13:22 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

GRUU draft tells the registrar to create a public GRUU and a
temporary GRUU whenever it receives a REGISTER request with
"+sip.instance" Contact header parameter but only return
them is the REGISTER request contains Supported: gruu.

Does this make any sense ? Why would the registrar have to
create those GRUUs if it would not return them to the UA ?

The use case I am thinking is:

- A registrar which supports both GRUU and Outbound 
- An UA which supports Outbound but not GRUU

Such an UA would send its Contact header with "+sip.instance"
parameter but it would not include Supported: gruu in its
REGISTER. Strictly speaking GRUU draft currently tells
the registrar to create GRUUs but not to return them to 
the UA.

I would assume GRUU draft needs a small fix to tell the
registrar to create the GRUUs only if the REGISTER
request contains "gruu" option tag in Supported header.

Do you agree or have I missed something ?

Regards,

Erkki
____________________________________

  Erkki Koivusalo
  Nokia Mobile Software
  tel:+358 40 7571197
  mailto:[email-masked]
____________________________________ 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:15:55 -0500

From: <[email-masked]>

The GRUUs are visible in the reg event package for the AOR
(draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-08), and UAs can use the GRUU to
send requests to its UA.

Dale

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:41:31 -0500

> Do you agree or have I missed something ?

This is partially one of those questions like "does a tree that falls 
make any noise if nobody is listening?"

If in fact nobody will learn about this gruu then there is no need to 
create it. But that is all about the difference between the conceptual 
model and the implementation, so it doesn't need to be stated.

The problem arises when there are multiple observers of registration 
state. There are at least two ways this can happen:
- other UAs that register
- subscribers to the reg event package

After you register, if others register they will get your contact back 
in the response to their register request, along with their own. If they 
support gruu, then they will will see the permanent gruu and latest temp 
gruu for your contact.

Similarly, when you register, any subscribers to the reg event package 
will get a notify telling of the change in registration state, including 
your contact and the gruus that were "assigned" to you.

Everything hangs together better this way. Still, if nobody is looking 
you don't have to assign these, as long as you do assign them when 
somebody does start looking.

	Paul

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 23:15:26 -0500

What Paul and Dale said.

Indeed previous versions of GRUU did only create gruu when the Supported 
header field was present, but Paul K. found the issue described below 
and so it was changed to do so even when Supported is not there.

-Jonathan R.

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>> - A registrar which supports both GRUU and Outbound - An UA which 
>> supports Outbound but not GRUU
>>
>> the registrar to create GRUUs but not to return them to the UA.
>>

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com