Subject: [Sip] DNS-SD: use cases

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:23:19 -0400

Since there was a request for describing use cases during today's  
discussion:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-sipping-p2p-usecases-00

highlights several that relate to a local discovery/p2p protocol.  
Having been involved in the long run-up to the P2PSIP effort, I  
assumed these to be known, which was obviously a mistake on my part.

(As a side note, use of non-host names seems common in SD PTR  
announcemens, with _presence._tcp (aka iChat) and _sip._udp (for  
announcing phones, apparently by sipphone.com = Gizmo) using these.  
This says nothing about legality, although one would hope that the  
iChat developers would have talked to their colleague.)

Today's discussion about sips and verifying the identity of the other  
side directly relates to this and the larger P2P effort.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip