Subject: Re: [Sip] GRUU text around modification of URI parameters

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:54:33 -0400

I think the default for ones it doesn't recognize is to treat them 
opaquely. I added a sentence along those lines.

-Jonathan R.

[email-masked] wrote:

>    From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
> 
>    At the moment I'd say there are no parameters that are usefully 
>    modifiable by a client. However I think its easier if the text be 
>    explicit both ways - saying what you can and cannot modify. I'm fine to 
>    add a sentence which further notes that the other URI parameters just 
>    aren't useful to manipulate.
> 
> What I'm looking for is "default" guidance -- If a device sees a URI
> parameter that it doesn't recognize, should the general policy be to
> treat it opaquely?  I think that we're getting muddled by not having
> an overall philosophy.  Once we do that, the particular deviations
> required within GRUU will probably be small, and they will be
> "obvious".
> 
> Dale
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:40:46 -0400

I think the default for [URI parameters that a device] doesn't
   recognize is to treat them opaquely. I added a sentence along those
   lines.

Yes, that seems like the best policy.

Dale