Subject: [Sip] Draft revision on SIP UA discovery using Zeroconf

From: Jae Woo Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 04:17:32 -0400

Hi,

We have revised the draft on distributing SIP URIs within a LAN using  
DNS-SD (aka Zeroconf or "Apple Bonjour").  It incorporates the  
feedback on the previous version we received through the mailing  
lists and in the IETF 68.  The list of changes from the previous  
version and the link to the IETF slides are included below.  Feedback  
is most welcome.

    Title      : SIP URI Service Discovery using DNS-SD
    Author(s)  : J. Lee, H. Schulzrinne, W. Kellerer, Z. Despotovic
    Filename   : draft-lee-sip-dns-sd-uri-01.txt
    Pages      : 22
    Date	      : 2007-5-14

    This document describes the Session Initiation Protocol Uniform
    Resource Identifier (SIP URI) advertisement for DNS-based Service
    Discovery (DNS-SD).  Using this mechanism, a SIP user agent (UA) can
    communicate with another UA even when no SIP registrar is available,
    as in a wireless ad-hoc network for example.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-sip-dns-sd-uri-01.txt

The slides from the IETF 68 can be found at:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/sip-11.pdf

CHANGES from version 00
------------------------
* Expanded "Security Considerations" (section 9)

* New "Other Related Mechanisms" (section 7)
   - Comparison to SIP multicast
   - "sip" service type used by Asterisk and Ekiga
   - P2PSIP

* Changes in the "User Agent Client Behavior"
   - Request-URI set from the contact attribute (section 5.1)
   - RFC3263 not followed in resolving host names (section 5.2)

* New "DNS-SD/mDNS Overview" (section 3)

* References to the Contact header parsing rules (section 4.2.3)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 17:52:54 -0400

This I-D seems to be a difficult read.  It's like reading code, it
describes all the mechanics, but there is no description at the
beginning saying what the point of the mechanism is.  (Unless you're
already familiar with the problems DNS-SD is supposed to solve,
maybe, but this is the SIP WG.)

It seems like an improved organization would be:

- description of the overall problem and the activities that the
  mechanism supports

- information that a UA is expected to possess, e.g., display name,
  SIP URI, etc.

- description of the mechanisms to carry out the supported activities

Dale