Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-hilt-sip-correction-503-01.txt

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:11:21 -0400

Folks,

I've submitted a new version of the "Essential Correction to the Session 
Initiation Protocol (SIP) 503 (Service Unavailable) Response":
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sip-correction-503-01.txt

Here is a quick change log:
- Added a discussion on server maintenance vs. overload control
- Proposed an alternative change (alternative 1) that is based on 
introducing an new response code for overload.

All comments, thoughts are very welcome.

Thanks,

Volker

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:31:12 -0400

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>

This work is important, but I don't see how it fits in the category
"essential correction", as a SIP system can function without it.
Perhaps you could add a section explaining why it is an essential
correction.

Dale

---

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:40:35 -0400

> Perhaps you could add a section explaining why it is an essential
The problem is that, with the current mechanism, a SIP system won't 
function properly when it is in overload in many deployments. Since it 
seems close to impossible to dimension a SIP system so that it will 
never experience overload, I think fixing this is important for the 
functioning of a SIP system.

I'll add a section explaining this to the next rev of the draft.

Thanks,

Volker