Subject: [Sip] Comments on draft-polk-sip-rph-new-namespaces-00

From: "DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 06:15:39 +0200

1)	I am not convinced this document does updated RFC 4412. RFC 4412
creates the namespace. This document merely adds new items to the IANA
registry created by that document. The document header should be
modified accordingly, and the following text in the abstract also
corrected:

   This 
   document intends to update RFC 4412, as a Proposed Standard document
   if published by the RFC-Editor.

2)	I believe the abstract could usefully summarise the new
namespaces that are created (in the same way as most drafts that define
new headers identify them in the abstract).

3)	In section 3, I do not see the need to include the following
text in the document, as it is already in RFC 4412, for which all the
requirements apply, not just this one.

   As stated in Section 9 of RFC 4412 [RFC4412], an IANA registered 
   namespace SHOULD NOT change the number, and MUST NOT change the 
   relative priority order, of its assigned priority-values.

4)	NIT. Tag all mentions of RFC4412 as references.

Regards

Keith

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:10:08 -0500

At 11:15 PM 7/21/2007, DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\) wrote:
>1)      I am not convinced this document does updated RFC 4412.

this ID is creating the OPTIONAL delimiter, which would be opaque to 
implementers otherwise, and potentially causing implementations to 
not process the header (therefore message) correctly.

I know this is a *really* small update, but since this delimiter is 
splitting the namespace into two-parts, when the '-' character 
appears, it requires coders to code differently according to this 
document - were they to chose to support this extension to RFC4412. 
Coders will look for the '-' character anywhere in a namespace, and 
have special process(es) for namespaces that have this delimiter.

>RFC 4412
>registry created by that document.

and the delimiter

>The document header should be

once we agree, yes

>new headers identify them in the abstract).

I'm open to how to summarize the new namespaces. Should the abstract 
state the namespaces are for DISA?

>    relative priority order, of its assigned priority-values.

fair point

>4)      NIT. Tag all mentions of RFC4412 as references.

will do