Subject: Re: [Sip] Question on SIP Security considerations for future extensions

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:12:33 -0700

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:39 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> The idea is simple, rather than having the CONNECT message  
> establish a "tunnel" through a series of proxies, CONNECT is used  
> to trade addressing information between the UAs that then signal  
> each other directly.  This proposal was made as modifications to  
> the sipsec draft.  The draft is available as a standalone and as a  
> diff to the current sipsec draft at the following links.  Comments  
> are hoped for...

Frank, I'm not putting in an argument one way or the other about if  
the following is a good or bad idea but I thought you might find it  
interesting to consider either way. The CONNECT idea you have above  
works in environments where all the SIP proxy would do is blindly  
forward the messages - I have seen multiple SIP UA products that do  
something similar to what you are suggesting here by just using SOCKS  
and running SIP over that. I think it was primarily used by some  
financial companies that wanted any SIP traffic going in our out of  
the firewall to go through a SOCKS server. I've also heard people  
sagest running SIP over TURN to provide relays in places where a  
proxy was not needed.

Cullen <with my individual hat on>

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip