Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IANA Registration of New Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Resource-Priority Namespaces
	Author(s)       : J. Polk
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2008-02-23

This document creates additional Session Initiation Protocol 
Resource-Priority namespaces, and places these namespaces in the 
IANA register.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:04:40 -0500

Title           : IANA Registration of New Session
	   		     Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	   		     Resource-Priority Namespaces
	   Author(s)       : J. Polk
	   Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt
	   Pages           : 7
	   Date            : 2008-02-23

   Abstract:

As an editorial matter, can the abstract be made less vague?  Such as
mentioning that it creates a set of namespaces for the use of the US
Defense Information Systems Agency...

Dale

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:57:26 -0600

>Defense Information Systems Agency...

well, at least I didn't overstate things...  ;-)

I can change this if you want me to

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:11:59 -0500

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>

I've been sick and perhaps my message was a little short.  But when I
read the abstract, I realized that if I didn't already know what the
I-D was about, the abstract really wouldn't tell me.  It would be even
clearer to say something like "This document creates 40 additional SIP
... for the use of DISA."  But that might sound snarky, as people have
wondered what so many namespaces are needed for.

Dale

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:46:18 -0600

>wondered what so many namespaces are needed for.

Well... I can easily put the purpose of the namespaces in, to 
differentiated it from future IANA registrations of RP 
namespaces.  I'll submit this in two weeks, when we're out of the 
blackout period. This is easy.

James

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:01:53 +0100

Rather than "for the use of" I would prefer "to meet the requirements
of".

The usage of any namespace is a private matter between the operator of
the SIP entities, and the user. The fact that DISA requested such a set
of namespaces does not reserve usage to that particular organisation.
Rather it defines a particular set of priority and preemption schemes
that anyone can use.

Regards

Keith 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of James M. Polk
> Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:57 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-rph-new-namespaces-02.txt
> 
> >This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use 
> >[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use 
> >[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
> 
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use 
> [email-masked] for questions on current sip 
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:19:38 -0600

>Rather than "for the use of" I would prefer "to meet the requirements

ack

>Rather it defines a particular set of priority and preemption schemes

right, it doesn't prevent anyone from using the namespaces

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:20:15 -0600

> I can change this if you want me to

Since I personally only read the abstract of new drafts and extrapolate
all further content (including any errors) by intuitive deduction, I'm
sure that a more detailed abstract would be helpful. ;-)

Seriously, a well-written abstract is a big help for people who haven't
been reading along with the development. Many students I've talked to
start with the abstract, and then use that to decide how the RFC fits
into the mental framework they're building as they try to come to grips
with the documentation-kraken that SIP has become.

We should be careful to make our abstracts as useful for this sort of
thing as we can. That means that the abstract needs to tell us what the
draft is about well enough to fit it into a framework, but not tell us
much about the implementation detail. Admittedly, it is a fine balancing
act -- but I'm afraid the abstract for the draft in question hasn't even
stepped up to the high-wire, much less maintained its balance.

--
dean

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:51:50 -0600

>sure that a more detailed abstract would be helpful. ;-)

no problem... the next version will be done and submitted the week of 
the meeting