Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:15:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Addressing Record-Route issues in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : T. Froment, C. Lebel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-02.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2008-02-22

A typical function of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Proxy is to
set a Record-Route header on initial requests in order to make
subsequent requests pass through it.  This header contains a SIP
Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) indicating where and how the
subsequent requests should be sent to reach the proxy.  Like any SIP
URI, it can contain sip or sips schemes, IPV4 or IPV6 addresses, and
URI parameters that could influence the routing like different
transport parameters (UDP, TCP, SCTP...), or a compression indication
like "comp=sigcomp".  When a proxy has to change some of those
parameters between its incoming and outgoing interfaces (multi-homed
proxies, transport protocol switching, sip to sips or IPV4 to IPV6
scenarios...), the question arises on what should be put in Record-
Route header(s).  It is just not possible to make one header having
the characteristics of both sides at the same time.  This document
aims to clarify these scenarios and fix bugs already identified on
this topic; it formally recommends the use of the double Record-Route
technique as an alternative to the current RFC3261 text, which
describes only a Record-Route rewriting solution.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip