Subject: [Sip] rfc3262: validity and meaning of PRACK 488

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:12:28 -0500

Greetings,

While discussing draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer-05, several
questions surfaced.  Christer has requested time to discuss it at the
IETF; however I thought that I'd seek earlier resolution.

Many agree that offers within PRACK should be deprecated.  However since
they are discussed within draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer and these
questions are not limited to PRACK offer, please consider the questions
anyway.

Is rejecting PRACK by a UAS generically allowed by rfc3262?  And if so,
is the 18x 100rel considered acknowledged from UAS perspective always,
never, or sometimes?  And if sometimes, when?

Per rfc3262, is the UAS allowed to reject the PRACK body with responses
such as 488?  And if so, is the 18x 100rel considered acknowledged from
UAS perspective?  If UAC receives a PRACK 488 (or similarly body
response), should it resend PRACK with higher cseq and appropriate
SDP/body modifications/removal if desiring to provide satisfactory
acknowledgement of INVITE 18x?

Recent "sipping-sip-offeranswer-05: comments and questions" discussions
can be found within the sipping email archive; first post was 1/31/2008.
I didn't provide links to the relevant postings since I'm currently
unable to access the IETF email archives.

Thanks,
Brett
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:45:46 +0100

Hi Brett,
 
Thanks for putting this e-mail together.
 
A small correction, though: I have not requested time for this at the meeting. I told Dean that it was an issue missing from his list, which could be a candidate for discussion.
 
Regards,
 
Christer

________________________________

From: Brett Tate [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 19/02/2008 22:12
To: IETF SIP List
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Christer Holmberg; [email-masked]
Subject: rfc3262: validity and meaning of PRACK 488

Greetings,

Thanks,
Brett