Subject: [Sip] SPEC SIP benchmarking effort

From: Erich Nahum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:36:29 -0500

I wanted to make people on this list aware of an effort at SPEC to develop
an industry-standard SIP benchmark.  SPEC is a non-profit corporation
formed to establish, maintain and endorse a standardized set of relevant
benchmarks that can be applied to the newest generation of high-performance
computers. SPEC develops benchmark suites and also reviews and publishes
submitted results from our member organizations and other benchmark licensees.

The SPEC SIP SubCommittee was established in March of 2007 and has been
chartered with designing, developing, and releasing a benchmark.  The
benchmark design document is completed, and development of the benchmark
is under way with an expected release date of 2Q 2008.

The design document is available for review at

        http://www.spec.org/specsip

The design document is a result of a collaborative, consensus effort
with participation from AMD, BEA, Columbia University, Communigate
Systems, HP, Intel, IBM, and Sun Microsystems.  There is also a design
FAQ to answer common questions.

I'm making this announcement for two reasons:

- To solicit feedback about the design document.  Most of our members
  are on the server side rather than ISP or NEP side, and getting
  additional perspective would of course help.

- To encourage participation in the SPEC SIP SubCommittee.  There's
  still plenty of opportunity to influence the benchmark and help in
  the development, testing, and documentation.

While participating in SPEC does cost money, we can allow temporary
participation on a trial basis in the SubCommittee so that people can
test it out and see if they want to pursue it.  We have weekly calls on
Thursdays at 10:00 AM Pacific.  We could also schedule an extra call if
there is enough demand.  You can find out more about SPEC membership at

        http://www.spec.org/spec/membership.html

Please contact me if interested. I'll also try to respond to any comments
about the design document posted on the mailing list.

Thanks,

-Erich

-- 
Erich M. Nahum                  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Research Staff Member           P.O. Box 704
[email-masked]            Yorktown Heights NY 10598
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip