Subject: [Sip] Skype Interview - SIP

From: "Lee Dryburgh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 00:34:24 +0100

The other week I interviewed Skype's general manager of audio and video.

When asked a question regarding SIP, he responded:

"I think that the vision of the early SIP founders has been largely
unreal in the SIP world. SIP is typically just used for this mundane
trunking application like the one we have or sending calls between two
networks and it is just calls. The vision of multi-modal
communications and rich end points has largely failed within the same
and I think that a big part of this is that they did not pragmatically
just solve basic problems like NAT traversal for example and they also
evolved the specification to the point that it is no longer had its
light weight appeal. So, we will see, SIP will continue to be dominant
protocol in terms of this sort of narrowly defined scenarios but I
think when it comes to rich communications, you are going to see more
of this fragmentation. You are going to see some islands of providers
who are just solving the problems. Just making it work for the user
and not being religious about the protocol for example."

For full transcript see:
http://ecommmedia.com/blog/2008/02/jonathan-christensen-skype.html

Thought this may be of interest.

Regards

Lee
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip