Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Connection Reuse in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : R. Mahy, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-09.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-02-08

This document enables a pair of communicating proxies to reuse a
congestion-controlled connection between themselves for sending
requests in the forward and backwards direction.  Because the
connection is essentially aliased for requests going in the backwards
direction, reuse should be predicated upon both the communicating
endpoints authenticating themselves using X.509 certificates through
TLS.  For this reason, we only consider connection reuse for TLS over
TCP and TLS over SCTP.  A single connection cannot be reused for the
TCP or SCTP transport between two peers, and this document provides
insight into why this is the case.  As a remedy, it suggests using
two TCP connections (or two SCTP associations), each opened pro-
actively towards the recipient by the sender.  Finally, this document
also provides guidelines on connection reuse and virtual SIP servers
and the interaction of connection reuse and DNS SRV lookups in SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-09.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-09.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip