Subject: [Sip] Updated hitchhikers guide

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:16:40 -0500

I just submitted an update to the hitchhikers guide:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-05.txt

This update reflects Keith's review after WGLC, addition of the last 
comments from WGLC, and addition of the normative call flows documents, 
which was an open issue from the previous draft.

Here is a table I put together that indicates the number of references 
in each version of this document:

Version	References
ind-00	85
sip-00	100
sip-01	104
sip-02	109
sip-03	112
sip-04	122
sip-05	140

Quite an increase over time.

Changes from -04:

* added draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition to Minor Extensions added

* RFC4497 (QSIG to SIP) in PSTN interworking. ISUP to SIP was already
there.

* draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event added to event packages

* draft-ietf-sipping-uri-services added to URI Services
   section. Updated the descriptions of the URI list services specs to
   point to this.

* draft-ietf-sipping-consent-format added to security section. It
   comes in as a MIME object for SIP.

* added draft-ietf-mmusic-qos-identification to the QoS section

* added draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance to the emergency services
   section

* added draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse to minor extensions

* added draft-ietf-sipping-session-policy-framework

* added connected-identity (RFC4916) to security (was previously just
   in core). RFC4474 was in core and security, so it makes sense for
   4916 to mirror that

* added SIPS to security (was previously just in core)

* added draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-dtls to security

* security preconditions -> RFC 5027

* acr-code -> RFC 5079

* added draft-ietf-sip-body-handling to general infrastructure specs

* added draft-ietf-sip-domain-certs to security

* added draft-ietf-sip-ua-privacy to security

* added ipv6-abnf-fix to the list of essential corrections

* added draft-ietf-sipping-pai-update as part of the description of
   rfc3325

* broadened slightly the scope of documents to include, so that BCPs
   which significantly clarify other normative specs are included. This
   adds:

    RFC3665: Basic call flow examples [core sip]
    RFC3666: PSTN call flows [PSTN interworking]
    RFC4579: CC conferencing [conferencing]

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:40:57 -0500

Jonathan,

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers- 

DY> Thanks for continuing to maintain this document.  I know it has  
been very useful for a number of people just starting to learn about  
SIP (they have indicated this to me some time after I referred them  
to it).

> Quite an increase over time.

DY> Quite a number!  And it's no wonder that it's so hard to answer  
the question "how do I implement SIP?" when someone asks that.  It  
would be fun if your table also had the dates of those various drafts  
to see the growth as a function of time.

DY> One other suggestion - I realize it's not a *specification*, but  
RFC 5039 by you and Cullen about the issues around the potential of  
spam for SIP is one that I would add to the "security" section.   
While it doesn't go into detail on specific solutions, it does make  
people aware of the issues they need to be thinking about when  
implementing SIP solutions.  I would suggest that RFC 5039 could be  
added now and then replaced later as RFCs emerge with actual  
solutions (or steps toward solutions).  Just a thought.

Thanks for your work on this,
Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com

Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip