Subject: [Sip] Location Conveyance -10 is out

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:41:06 -0600

>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance-10.txt

This is a list of changes to Conveyance -10 that might not be so 
obvious, since a fair amount of the text was streamlined or just 
changed (meaning any diff won't point at these changes only):

- moved Conventions and (the new) terminology section in front
   of the Introduction section -- so that readers know the terms
   and acronyms before the Intro.

- removed the ability to provide granular CAtype indications in the
   locationErrorValue (to several people's relief!)

- modified all mentioning of "Location-by-Reference" and
   "by-reference" to "LbyR" throughout the doc, for consistency

- modified all mentioning of "Location-by-Value" and "by-Value"
   to "LbyV" throughout the doc, for consistency

- created a brand new errors section. All (17 previous) errors were
   distilled down to 5 actionable responses by a location error
   recipient essentially meaning:

       - General error
           - similar to SIP 400 response
      - retry later, with same data
          - no retry-after indicator though
       - retry later, once device has refreshed data
           - no retry-after indicator though
      - user permission to reveal location necessary to succeed
      - Denial error (active denial of location supplied in
        request)
          - similar to 6XX in SIP
    - each are defined and actions articulated, as well as
      non-actions and misunderstandings are articulated
    - created the ability for each action to have a range of error
    codes, such as 1XX, 2XX, 3XX, 4XX, and 5XX ranges - but that
      is left for future efforts
    - consequence of fewer errors is the inability to indicate URI
      scheme not supported (specifically, sips: and pres:)

- greatly shortened section 3 (Conveyance Overview) to not have
   2119 language. Moved remaining text to section 4.

- clarified Geolocation-Error header can be in any non-100
   response

- clarified role of 424 (Bad Location Information)

- removed all references to "recipient=" parameter within the
   Geolocation header

- created new IANA registry for Location Reference URI (schemes),
   and register 3 schemes with this doc (sip:, sips:, and pres:)

- corrected the IANA registration of "Header Field Parameters
   and Parameter Values" for both the Geolocation and
   Geolocation-Error headers (thanks Adam Roach!)

- fixed the Geolocation-Error ABNF (thanks Paul Kyzivat!)

- changed all usage of "per <RFC>" to "as defined in <RFC>"

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
>Group of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : Location Conveyance for the Session 
> Initiation Protocol
>         Author(s)       : J. Polk, B. Rosen
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance-10.txt
>         Pages           : 44
>         Date            : 2008-2-25
>
>This document defines an extension to the Session Initiation
>    Protocol (SIP) to convey geographic location information from one
>    SIP entity to another SIP entity.  The extension covers end to end
>    conveyance as well as location-based routing, where proxy servers
>    make routing decisions based on the location of the SIP user agents.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip