Subject: [Sip] Proxy-Authentication-Info header

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:51:56 -0600

Folks,

At the last IETF it was mentioned that the proposal in
draft-dotson-sip-mutual-auth-00 is not to be considered an essential
correction. A new version that presents the proposal as an extension was
uploaded sometime back:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-dotson-sip-mutual-auth-01.txt

As a refresher, the I-D proposes the use of the
Proxy-Authentication-Info header for Proxy-to-User authentication within
SIP. This header allows for a UA to authenticate the proxy during
Proxy-to-user authentication, thus enabling mutual authentication. This
is similar to the currently specified use of Authentication-Info header
for User-to-User authentication (and without the
Proxy-Authentication-Info header, the two would be inconsistent). It
also enables limited integrity protection, and for the proxy to provide
additional details such as the nonce to use for future authentication
responses (next nonce). 

We would request the WG to review the proposal and let us know if this
can be considered as a potential item for the WG or, more importantly,
if there are any objections (with reasons). 

(The original email made it through to SIPPING instead of SIP - :(.)

Thanks!

Sumanth, Stuart and Steve

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip