Subject: [Sip] Headsup on extension/info/etc. Session

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:32:24 -0400

i believe SIPPING will be hosting a special session Monday night at 2200, 
room TBD. We will focus on the SIP extensibility model and how that ties 
into extension choices including new request types, new headers, payload 
mechanisms like INFO, MESSAGE and NOTIFY, and media path solutions like 
MSRP and TOTE.

I expect the agenda will look like:

Background of Problem 30 min
led by Dean Willis

Litmus test for choosing an extension technique 45 min
led by Jonathan Rosenberg

INFO and what to do about it 45 min
led by Hadriel Kaplan

--
dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:14:09 +0200

FYI: see email below.

Gonzalo

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Monday night: ad-hoc on SIP extensibility
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:13:07 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
To: sipping <[email-masked]>
CC: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>

Folks,

there has been substantial discussion on the topic of extensibility
models for SIP. Advancing consensus on this topic as a whole requires
broader discussions. Consequently, we are organizing an ad-hoc meeting
on Monday night between 2200 and 2400. We understand it is a bad time
but it is difficult to find empty meeting slots.

The agenda for this ad-hoc meeting will be as follows:

1) Problem overview and review of the multi-fold path (Extension
messages, extension headers, extension bodies, EVENT/INFO transport
packages, and non-SIP session/transport protocols.

2) Review of the "litmus test" guidelines for choosing an extension
modality, which we expect to eventually lead to a guidelines document.
Discussion to include the the use cases that are addressed by MEDIACTRL
Control Channel, MSRP, MSRP file transfer, and TOTE.

3) Discussion on clarification and finalization of the INFO
packages document. We would not be taking explicit HUMs in this
meeting about consensus as to whether or not to proceed with INFO packages.

We do not still have a meeting room. We will be reporting back to the
SIPPING list as soon as we get one.

Cheers,

Gonzalo
SIPPING co-chair

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:08:28 -0400

In today's SIPPING meeting, the extension/info/etc. session was  
cancelled. It isn't happening.

There are currently no plans to reschedule this session at IETF 71.

--
Dean Willis

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:07:44 -0400

The session was cancelled, but the slides are good. T he IETF server  
is currently not working, so I've posted them temporarily at:

http://www.softarmor.com/dwillis/ietf71/

if you're curious enough to read them. I'm sure the concepts will turn  
up again in working group discussion.

--
Dean