Subject: [Sip] sip call hold

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:57:08 +0100

In many mailing lists I read of problems with SIP signaling protocol and 
call on hold. In the actual implementation, "hold" is not different from 
"mute".
This problem also occurred during my work.
I wrote this draft: 
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-giordano-sip-call-hold-revision-00.txt
What's your opinion.
Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:42:34 -0400

It seems the essence of your draft has nothing to do with how hold is 
signaled - only with what the UA should do in that case. We don't 
normally specify much about what the UA should do in those cases - the 
UA has latitude to do as it wishes, which provides room for innovation.

Certainly a UA this is not receiving media is free to play something 
locally if it wishes. But some people would prefer not to have that.

Also note that hold applies to any kind of media, not just audio. What 
to do with video, or whiteboard, or IM or realtime text will be 
different than what to do for audio.

The issues that have arisen with hold have to do with people getting the 
signaling wrong - sometimes in a way that prevents getting off hold.

	Thanks,
	Paul

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:39:52 +0100

Hi,
 
I also had difficulties trying to figure out what you really want to say in the draft, but it seems like Paul has the same understanding as me: you do not touch the signalling related issues associated with hold, but only what local actions the UA should do when it is put on hold.
 
Also, I believe there could be cases where you do NOT want a hold tone to be played. For example, if I put you on hold because you are going to be transfered to someone else, I don't think you want to listen to a hold tone while communicating with that someone else...
 
Regards,
 
Christer

________________________________

Lähettäjä: [email-masked] puolesta: Paul Kyzivat
Lähetetty: ti 11.3.2008 22:42
Vastaanottaja: [email-masked]
Kopio: [email-masked]
Aihe: Re: [Sip] sip call hold

        Thanks,
        Paul