Subject: [Sip] SIP on top of tcp

From: "ajay thakur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:45:35 +0530

Hi all,
I am new to SIP and have few doubts about SIP over tcp.
I saw that once UAC registers with register-server, UAC closes
tcp connection with the server. Is it intended behaviour ? I mean
if there is any firewall presence in the network then UAC closing
connection with UAS creates problem.
I am confused about this. Any idea ?

Thanks
Ajay Thakur
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:34:01 +0300

> I am confused about this. Any idea ?

While an arguable design decision, this behavior seems correct with regards to 
the specification.

If you want an always-on TCP connection from the client to the server, use 
sip-outbound.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont

---

From: "ajay thakur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:43:50 +0530

Thanks for reply Denis,

You mean to say we need to have sip-proxy in the same network to
avoid this problem? Please correct me if i m wrong.

Thanks
Ajay

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:22:31 -0500

> avoid this problem? Please correct me if i m wrong.

Either the UA has to be reachable via TCP from the proxy, or the UA  
has to hold the TCP connection open to the proxy.

Techniques for this latter condition are described in draft-ietf-sip- 
outbound, which is currently in working group last call and will  
hopefully become an RFC relatively soon.

--
Dean