Subject: [Sip] TOTE comments

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:48:40 +0200

Hi,

Overall, I like the draft.

First, I think there are actually three interaction modes for UAs:

     1. SIP events
     2. Simple object push, or file transfer mode
     3. Peer-to-peer RPC

Clearly, #1 could be optimized a great deal. Notifications shouldn't
always pass a deep chain of record-routing proxies, etc. But on the same
vein, SIP events has the ultimate NAT traversal capability -- if SIP
works, SIP events works.

For #2, an invitation needs to carry enough meta-information of the
object so that the receiving end can be asked for confirmation:

"[email-masked] wants to send you a jpeg of size 1.5MB. Accept?" 

Miguel's file transfer draft proposes adding exactly this meta-data into
SDP. You could use TOTE for this, but you would still need the meta-data
in order to present a confirmation to the recipient. Then in the
transfer itself, why the overhead to plain ICE-TCP/comedia?

For #3, TOTE is a perfect match. The most important thing to keep is the
extensibility model. Definitely it needs two namespaces, private and
IANA, and I would even go as far as making the IANA namespace policy a
first-come-first-serve.

Cheers,
Aki

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip