Subject: [Sip] Fwd: SIP Connect 1.1

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 19:18:48 -0500

I thought you folks might be interested in this:

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: May 7, 2008 10:23:12 AM CDT
Subject: SIP Connect 1.1

The SIP Forum has chartered a work item to complete and refine the SIP
Connect 1.0 specification.

1. We are committed to a SIPconnect 1.1 Specification and we hereby  
reissue
our calls for contributions to that end.

The concept of SIP trunking has received a great deal of industry  
interest
over the last several months and many vendors and service providers are
ramping up their efforts. Many of them have come to see the SIP Forum
SIPconnect and SIPconnect Compliant effort as a valid forum to help  
resolve
many of the ambiguities existent in the IETF SIP specifications and  
create a
unified "profile" that both PBX vendors and service providers can rally
around.

The value of this work is self-evident. IP PBX vendors do not want to  
have
to go through separate certification processes to connect with each and
every service provider. More importantly, enterprises want to know  
that the
products and services they buy will work together.

2. Microsoft has Joined the SIP Forum and has committed to actively
contributing to the SIPConnect work.

Notably, Microsoft has formally joined the SIP Forum as a Full Member
company, and has released, for general distribution, their view of how
SIPconnect could be constructed. This is based on their own extensive
experience with their OCS product and extensive discussions with  
Enterprises
and Service Providers.

The SIP Forum has created a depository of SIPconnect 1.1 Scoping  
Documents,
which currently includes the Microsoft document mentioned above, and  
will be
the location of other member contributions as they are made available.

The URL for this material is:

http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,45/Ite
mid,75/

All members of this list are encouraged to make comments on the  
Microsoft
document. The first order of business is to bound the scope of what
SIPconnect 1.1 should cover.

3. CableLabs has also Joined the SIPForum as a full member and  
CableLabs and
its member companies are committed to contributing to the SipConnect 1.1
effort

As many of you probably already know, CableLabs is the joint industry
standards body of the North American Cable operators.

More information about CableLabs can be found here:

http://www.cablelabs.com/

It should be no surprise to anyone that Cable Operators want to offer
Enterprise-oriented SIP trunking services within their service  
boundaries.

CableLabs and its member companies believe that the SIP Forum SIPconnect
process is the best way forward to create a comprehensive industry-wide
specification for Enterprise IP-PBX to MSO interconnection.

CableLabs has a extensive PacketCable internal working group devoted to
delivering an Enterprise PBX to MSO specification to CableLabs partners.

They have agreed to coordinate their efforts with the SIP Forum  
SIPconnect
effort as well as make significant contributions to that end.

4. Broadsoft is also contributing extensive documentation Related to  
their
SIP Trunking experience

Broadsoft, a current full member of the SIP Forum, has also agreed to  
make
available their extensive documentation of experience with SIP  
trunking and
the current implementation of SIPconnect 1.0 as well.

5. World-Class Technical Support

The SIP Forum Technical Working Group Chairs are in the process of
recruiting a well-known SIP technical expert to actually edit the  
SIPconnect
1.1 specification.

The Time to Start the Work is Now!

Members of this list are encouraged to make comments and propose
contributions to begin this important effort.

The SIP Forum document depository for relevant SIPconnect 1.1  
contributions
is located here:

http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,45/Ite
mid,75/

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip