Subject: [Sip] Doubt in outbound draft v14 - auth proxy behaviour

From: "Hul spencer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:11:00 +0530

Hi,

I have a doubt related to outbound draft v14

In section 7 bullet 3

" If the proxy receives a final response from a branch other than a
      408 (Request Timeout) or a 430 (Flow Failed) response, the proxy
      MUST NOT forward the same request to another target representing
      the same AOR and instance-id.  The targeted instance has already
      provided its response."

As this section talks about authoritative proxy, this would imply that the
request gets sent to one of the edge proxy.
There can be cases where for same AOR and instance-id, UE register via 2
edge proxies, with reg-id=1 and reg-id=2.

  |----EP1---------|
  |                |
 UE        REGISTRAR/AUTH Proxy
  |                |
  |----EP2---------|

When auth proxy receives a request for this UE, it can decide to send the
request via EP1. Due to some problem(reboot etc) EP1, sends error response
404 Not Found(or any other error resp except 408 and 430). Once
authoritative proxy gets 404 , because of bullet 3 it can not try the other
path(via EP2) to UE.  Is it a correct behaiour ?  because  if authoritative
proxy sends  request to UE via EP2, request may still reach UE.

I understand that a proxy is supposed to send 430 in case flow is not there,
but there can be many other generic error conditions because of which proxy
may send any 4xx response.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip