Subject: [Sip] What is the port number in "Invite" request-line? Thanks

From: "Yuantao Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:10:13 +0800

Dear all

INVITE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0:5555

INVITE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0

Above are 2 "Invite" request-line examples. In example one, it indicates
a port number, 5555. What does the port number mean? 

Is it the port number of SIP proxy? Why we include port number here? The
SIP proxy(biloxi.com) application layer who receives this "Invite"
should receive this via port 5555 from lowe layer(UDP). Therefore, The
SIP proxy(biloxi.com) application layer already know the port is 5555.
Actualy, the SIP proxy application layer keeps listening port 5555. 

The second "Invite" request-line example is from RFC3261 and does not
include port number. Can I say the port number is useless? So why
example one includes a useless part in "Invite" request-line URL? 

Or is the port number is which the UAS is listening to? How the UAC
knows it is 5555 if so? 

Any standard on this port number issue? Thanks. 

Best regards

Steven

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 01:51:17 -0400

From: "Yuantao Zhang" <[email-masked]>

This is syntactically invalid.  Do you mean

   INVITE sip:[email-masked]:5555 SIP/2.0

?

Dale

---

From: "Liran Tal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 02:22:58 +0300

Hey Yuantao,

>  *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:
> [email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *Yuantao Zhang
> *Sent:* Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:10
> *To:* [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [SIPForum-discussion] What is the port number in "Invite"
> request-line? Thanks
>
> Dear all
>
> INVITE sip:[email-masked] <[email-masked]> SIP/2.0:5555
>
> INVITE sip:[email-masked] <[email-masked]> SIP/2.0
>
> Above are 2 "Invite" request-line examples. In example one, it indicates a
> port number, 5555. What does the port number mean? Is it the port number
> of SIP proxy?
>
As you suspected yourself and as Shmulik pointed correctly, the number 555
indicates
the port number of the running SIP Proxy which the UA is registered to.

>  Why we include port number here? The SIP proxy(biloxi.com) application
> layer who receives
>
Simply because this is a non-standard SIP port, just as if a web server was
running on port
8081 you would have to explicitly tell the browser to use that port, for
example:
http://www.non-standard-server.com:8081

This is also required when more than one SIP Proxy is involved in the
process and the
INVITE travels from one proxy to another.

> include port number. Can I say the port number is useless? So why example
> one includes a useless part in "Invite" request-line URL?
>
To be more precise the first invite message (INVITE
sip:[email-masked]<[email-masked]>SIP/2.0:5555)
is wrong. It should have been INVITE sip:[email-masked]:5555 SIP/2.0

>  Any standard on this port number issue? Thanks.

It is very common for different SIP stacks to behave somewhat differently
and quite
a few of them do not comply with the RFC which is very unfortunate.

-- 
-- 
Regards,

*Liran Tal
**Unix Kernel Developer
NGN Solutions, TELES Israel

*

[image: [Teles Logo]]

Phone           +972 4 9092592
Fax               +972 4 9597144
Mobile           +972 52 3793446

---

From: "Shmulik Basan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:57:48 +0200

Stevan hi,

The reason is that the proxy is listening to port 5555.

By example one it reference to send the SIP message to this port (port
5555).

By using example two, the SIP message will be sent to the default SIP port
(i.e. 5060)

Sincerely,

* 

Sam Basan

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yuantao Zhang
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:10
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] What is the port number in "Invite"
request-line? Thanks

Dear all

Above are 2 "Invite" request-line examples. In example one, it indicates a
port number, 5555. What does the port number mean? 

Is it the port number of SIP proxy? Why we include port number here? The SIP
proxy(biloxi.com) application layer who receives this "Invite" should
receive this via port 5555 from lowe layer(UDP). Therefore, The SIP
proxy(biloxi.com) application layer already know the port is 5555. Actualy,
the SIP proxy application layer keeps listening port 5555. 

Or is the port number is which the UAS is listening to? How the UAC knows it
is 5555 if so? 

Best regards

Steven

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
database 3157 (20080604) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com