Subject: [Sip] INFO: Case Sensitivity

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:44:36 -0600

We had a long discussion about case sensitivity for Info Package  
names. The current text follows RFC 3265 and avoids charset and I18N  
issues, by mandating octet-by-octet comparison.

Some folks pointed out that RFC 3261 says that headers and header  
values should be case insensitive.

Please vote:

1. Keep case sensitive comparison, just like RFC 3265 mandates and  
experience shows promotes interoperability

2. Use case insensitive comparison, like RFC 3261 suggests

3. Keep case sensitive comparison, and tell IANA not to register  
multiple package names that might collide in the event someone does to  
case insensitive comparisons (liberal in what you receive)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:05:04 -0500

I think I will abstain. I didn't realize that 3265 called for case 
sensitive comparisons. IMO it is the oddball among headers, but it is a 
good precedent here.

	Thanks,
	Paul

Eric Burger wrote:
> We had a long discussion about case sensitivity for Info Package names. 
> The current text follows RFC 3265 and avoids charset and I18N issues, by 
> mandating octet-by-octet comparison.
> 
> Some folks pointed out that RFC 3261 says that headers and header values 
> should be case insensitive.
> 
> Please vote:
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:09:19 -0600

3.

RjS

(p.s. - please make it a red one if you can).

On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Eric Burger wrote:

> multiple package names that might collide in the event someone does  
> to case insensitive comparisons (liberal in what you receive)
>

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:09:39 -0600

My mistake: small typo.  #3 should be "Keep case INSENSITIVE  
comparison, and tell IANA not to register multiple package names that  
might collide in the event someone does to case insensitive  
comparisons (liberal in what you receive)."

So, we have for your choices:
1. Keep case sensitive comparison, just like RFC 3265 mandates and  
experience shows promotes interoperability

3. Keep case INSENSITIVE comparison, and tell IANA not to register  
multiple package names that might collide in the event someone does to  
case insensitive comparisons (liberal in what you receive)

On Nov 19, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> sensitive comparisons. IMO it is the oddball among headers, but it  
> is a good precedent here.
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	Paul
>
> Eric Burger wrote:
>> names. The current text follows RFC 3265 and avoids charset and  
>> I18N issues, by mandating octet-by-octet comparison.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:12:28 -0600

Well now I'm really confused.

I liked your 3 before

Case _sensitive_ comparison.
and
Never register both "Foo" and "foo".

So, now I prefer a red "4".

RjS

On Nov 19, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Eric Burger wrote:

> comparison, and tell IANA not to register multiple package names  
> that might collide in the event someone does to case insensitive  
>>> multiple package names that might collide in the event someone  
>>> does to case insensitive comparisons (liberal in what you receive)

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:13:22 -0600

Aargh - I was right the first time. Never mind. Case SENSITIVE, but no  
registration of human-readable-potential-conflicts.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:20:08 -0600

> registration of human-readable-potential-conflicts.

I vote for that.

/a

---

From: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:02:04 -0500

Me too - original #3, in XXXL size please (or xxxl).
-hadriel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adam
> Roach
> Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:20 PM
> To: Eric Burger
> Cc: SIP List
> Subject: Re: [Sip] INFO: Case Sensitivity
>