Subject: [Sip] FW: WG Interim Meeting Opportunity in January 2009

From: "DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:18:38 +0100

As you will see below, although SIP had intended to take advantage of
the infrastructure provided by the Secretariat to have an interim
meeting in Malta, that infrastructure has now disappeared.

Therefore there will not be a SIP interim meeting in Malta.

We did have support for having both a SIP and SIPPING interim meetings,
and some work to address to an interim. We could still have an interim
meeting if we could find someone to provide a location. However time is
getting pretty short to do this.  

If you have any ideas in this regard then please contact us.

regards

Keith 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Russ Housley
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 3:59 PM
To: Working Group Chairs
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: WG Interim Meeting Opportunity in January 2009 

WG Chairs:

Thanks for all of the valuable input.  The IAOC has just taken a vote,
and the Malta Large Interim Meeting Experiment in January 2009 is not
going to take place.  The primarily reason for this decision is the
number of people that are able to commit to on-site participation.  The
total number of people that indicated that they would attend is less
than 60.  That does not qualify as a large Interim Meeting.  With this
level of participation, we will not learn the things that we had hoped
from the experiment.

Please direct anyone that purchased a non-refundable airline ticket for
the proposed Malta meeting to me.

The IESG may revisit the idea of a Large Interim Meeting Experiment in
the future.  At this point, it is unclear when travel budgets will make
this a viable experiment.

I encourage WG chars to experiment with virtual interim meetings.
Guidance about interim meetings can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/Interim-meetings.txt

Thanks for all you do for the IETF and the Internet,
    Russ

At 03:33 PM 10/16/2008, IETF Chair wrote:
>In our continuing effort to ensure that IETF WGs are getting enough 
>meeting time to progress their work, we are conducting another
experiment.
>   Many WGs have found interim meetings an effective way to tackle 
>thorny technical issues, resolve contentious technical issues, 
>accelerate standards development, and provide traction for new work.  
>As always, an interim WG meeting is not a substitute for a regular 
>session at the traditional IETF meeting.  Since some WG Chairs and ADs 
>have found the amount of time necessary to put together an interim 
>meeting can be excessive, we are trying to reduce the effort necessary 
>to conduct an interim meeting to determine whether reducing this burden

>will expedite IETF standards development.  To this end, the Secretariat

>will facilitate a large interim meeting from 20-22 January 2009 in 
>Malta.  If you are interested in participating in this experiment, 
>please contact your Area Director for approval.  All face-to-face 
>interim meetings require AD approval, and this is no exception.  The 
>IETF Secretariat is putting together a program with three full days and

>four tracks on each day.  Each WG interim meeting is expected to 
>consume at least one full day on one of the tracks.
>
>ADs will schedule the sessions.  A URL for the schedule will be 
>announced shortly.  Once it is available, if you detect a scheduling 
>conflict, please raise the concern with your AD for resolution.  
>Session time is limited, and sessions will be allocated first come,
first served.
>
>The Secretariat will provide registration, food and beverage, audio 
>visual facilities, and on site registration support.  VeriLAN will 
>provide network and audio streaming support.  It is expected that the 
>meeting fee will be $375 for early registration and $475 for late
registration.
>
>The Internet Society is looking for meeting sponsors for this event.
>Anyone interested please contact Drew Dvorshak <[email-masked]>.
>
>Russ

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:30:34 -0600

> If you have any ideas in this regard then please contact us.

I heard some people had bought tickets for the meeting already. I  
presume you didn't get direct-to-Malta flights. Where did you plan to  
change planes? Maybe we could get a facility there for the same dates?

--
Dean

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:52:40 -0600

> change planes? Maybe we could get a facility there for the same dates?

Frankfort on the way there, London on the way back. So, what... meet in 
Brussels?

/a

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:21:15 -0600

I like that idea - I found a $700 r/t for Frankfurt. And, I'm guessing
that within a few weeks AA will have more European specials. Also, given
the potential headcount, it seems the size of facility we might need is
not so large - I wonder if we could get someone to host at a corporate
location. 

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dean Willis
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 1:31 PM
To: DRAGE, Keith (Keith)
Cc: SIP List
Subject: Re: [Sip] FW: WG Interim Meeting Opportunity in January 2009

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip