Subject: [Sip] Minor nit for draft-ietf-sip-199-02

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:40:15 -0800

S 4.1 reads:

   NOTE: When using SRTP [RFC3261], the secure media stream is bound to
   the crypto context setup for the dialog, and can be identified using
   the MKI of SRTP.

Unless I've misunderstood 3711, MKI is optional, so this may not
be true.

-Ekr
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 04:29:43 +0100

Hi, 

>Unless I've misunderstood 3711, MKI is optional, so this may not be
true.

Ok. So, maybe we could say "using the MKI (if used) of SRTP".

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:27:03 -0800

At Fri, 14 Nov 2008 04:29:43 +0100,
> Ok. So, maybe we could say "using the MKI (if used) of SRTP".

I don't have a problem with this, but honestly I don't think this 
note is that necessary, since you have the problem with ordinary
RTP and SRTP doesn't always solve it, why say anything at all?

-Ekr

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:54:24 +0100

Hi, 

true.
>I don't have a problem with this, but honestly I don't think this note
is that necessary, since you have the problem 
>with ordinary RTP and SRTP doesn't always solve it, why say anything at
all?

The purpose of the note is not to say that this always solves this. But,
people requested an example where it does solve it.

I DO think we should have a more genric correlate-media-with-dialog
mechanism, but that is outside the scope of the 199 document.

Regards,

Christer