Subject: [Sip] RFC 5393 on Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Forking Proxies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:27:45 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5393

        Title:      Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in 
                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Forking Proxies 
        Author:     R. Sparks, Ed., S. Lawrence, 
                    A. Hawrylyshen, B. Campen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2008 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48722
        Updates:    RFC3261

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5393.txt

This document normatively updates RFC 3261, the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), to address a security vulnerability identified in SIP
proxy behavior.  This vulnerability enables an attack against SIP
networks where a small number of legitimate, even authorized, SIP
requests can stimulate massive amounts of proxy-to-proxy traffic.

This document strengthens loop-detection requirements on SIP proxies
when they fork requests (that is, forward a request to more than one
destination).  It also corrects and clarifies the description of the
loop-detection algorithm such proxies are required to implement.
Additionally, this document defines a Max-Breadth mechanism for
limiting the number of concurrent branches pursued for any given
request.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip