Subject: [Sip] Sip-199: security impacts (maj-4)

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:53:08 +0100

Hi,

We still need text for the security section in the 199 draft.

Robert said the following in his comments on the draft:

"There's a lot to talk through here. For instance, I can spoof 199s to
affect how a call is ultimately answered in ways that are different
(from the endpoints visibility into what happened point-of-view) from
cancels/byes or even other response manipulation."

As Robert says, calls can already be affected by spoofing responses
and/or CANCEL/BYE requests, so I guess the text we are looking for is
the "different ways" of spoofing that 199 could be used for.

If a spoofed 199 is sent to a UAC, the UAC will (assuming it supports
199) terminate that specific dialog. If a spoofed non-200 final response
is sent to a UAC, it will terminate the whole session setup. So, I guess
someone could use 199 to terminate a dialog which would be used to
provide the UAC with some important information, but the call setup
would still continue. However, the same thing could be achieved by
spoofing a BYE towards the UAC on the same dialog (eventhough I think
many terminals would terminte the whole session setup in that case...).

Feel free to do some brainstorming :)

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip