Subject: [Sipping] Media Resource Control (MRCP) BOF

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:08:58 -0500

Multimedia Resource Control (mrcp) BOF

Chairs
------
Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
David Oran <[email-masked]>

BOF Description
----------------
Many multimedia applications can benefit from having ASR and TTS processing
available as a distributed, network resource. To date, there are a number of
proprietary ASR and TTS API's, as well as two IETF drafts, that address this
problem. However, there are serious deficiencies to the existing drafts
relating to MRCP. In particular, they mix the semantics of existing
protocols yet are close enough to other protocols as to be confusing to the
implementer.

The MRCP BOF will examine whether the IETF should charter a Working Group to
develop protocols to support distributed media processing of audio streams.
There are multiple IETF protocols for establishment and termination of media
sessions (SIP), low-level media control (MGCP and megaco), and media record
and playback (RTSP). The focus of this working group is to develop protocols
to support Automated Speech Recognition (ASR) and rendering text into audio,
a.k.a. Text-to-Speech (TTS). The working group will only focus on the
distributed control of ASR and TTS servers.

The working group will develop an informational RFC detailing the
architecture and requirements for distributed ASR and TTS control. The
working group will then examine existing media-related protocols, especially
RTSP, for suitability as a protocol for carriage of ASR and TTS control.
Then, the working group will propose extensions to existing protocols or the
development of new protocols, as appropriate, to meet the requirements
specified in the informational RFC.

The protocol will assume RTP carriage of media. Assuming session-oriented
media transport, the protocol will use SDP to describe the session.

The working group will not be investigating distributed speech recognition
(DSR), as exemplified by the ETSI Aurora project. The working group will not
be recreating functionality available in other protocols, such as SIP or
SDP. The working group will offer changes to existing protocols, with the
possible exception of RTSP, to the appropriate IETF work group for
consideration. This working group will explore modifications to RTSP, if
required.

The intention is to disband the work group within one year of chartering.

Goals and Milestones
--------------------
Mar 02	BOF at 53rd IETF
Jul 02	Informational Requirements RFC Published
Dec 02	Submit Internet Draft(s) Analyzing Existing Protocols
Dec 02	Submit Internet Draft Describing New Protocol (if required)
Mar 03	Drafts to IESG

Reading List
------------
"MRCP: Media Resource Control Protocol", draft-shanmugham-mrcp-01.txt
"Using Media Resource Control Protocol over SIP",
draft-robinson-mrcp-sip-00.txt

Mailing List
------------
The discussion list for MRCP is at [email-masked]. To subscribe, send a
request to:
	[email-masked]
with
	subscribe mrcp
in the body.

The list archive is at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/mrcp_archive/maillist.html

N.B.: This list replaces the [email-masked] list.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP