Subject: RE: AW: [Sipping] New draft about SIP conferencing avaiable

From: Orit Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:24:09 -0500

A agree that standard way of participants' information distribution and
floor control are essential for SIP Conferencing standard application.
What bothers me with the current proposals is that they don't perceive a
conference as a stand-on-its-own concept. That leads to controversial
interpretations and would prevent from smooth service-interworking in
future.
In my opinion the very first requirements are to define:
1. "Conference Description": a way of specifying a desired (but unknown)
conference in terms of  capabilities, modes, ...
2. "Conference Identification": a global way of matching existing (and
reserved) conferences. (I don't think that existing ids (such as Call-ID) is
the right way of identifying a conference.)
Those should be equally applicable for different conferencing models such as
dial-in vs. dial-out and conferencing server vs. end user mixing.
It is a very important but chronologically a second question how to signal
these values: new methods, new headers and INVITE vs. Events model. My
preference is by not overloading existing fields because of the same
service-interworking issue.

Orit Levin
Chief Architect
RADVISION Inc.
TEL: +1.201.529.4300 x 230
FAX: +1.201.529.3516

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Igor Miladinovic [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Wednesday, February 13, 2002 5:35 AM
To:	'Sean Olson'; [email-masked]
Cc:	'Johannes Stadler'
Subject:	AW: AW: [Sipping] New draft about SIP conferencing avaiable

Hi,

> It was my understanding that the CONF request
> was designed to be used to determine the participants
> of a conference call before joining that conference
> call. That is, at the point in time at which you
> construct the CONF request, you may not know the
> Call-ID for the conference. But more importantly,
> there probably will not be a unique Call-ID for
> the conference as in the case of a conference
> bridge.

Actually, the purpose of the CONF request is to update participants lists in
a established conference. To determine the conference participants before
joining, we use the "participant" header in the INVITE request.

Regards,

Igor

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP