Subject: [Sipping] UAS recovery mechanism from timeouts of responses that establish a dialog

From: "Venkatesh Venkataramanan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:28:23 -0800

Hi,

I have a question regarding the same...

Say, UA1 issues an INVITE to UA2. UA2 responds with a 100 Trying, followed
by a 180 Ringing. On answer, it issues a 200 response. Say for some reason
(short network outage in the subnet coresponding to UA2), the 200 OK
response timesout. Per bis07, UA2 SHOULD issue a BYE to terminate this
dialog. There is a possibility that this BYE reaches UA1, which in turn
could reject the BYE as UA1 doesn't consider the INVITE transaction to be
complete? Hence it returns a 4xx response for the same?

How do UA2 and UA1 recover from such a scenario? 

Regards,
Venkatesh

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:21:08 -0500

Venkatesh Venkataramanan wrote:
> dialog. There is a possibility that this BYE reaches UA1,

Not likely. The BYE will follow the route-set from the 180, and thus
should go to UA2 unless something is misconfigured.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com