Subject: [Sipping] Draft resource priority

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:06:54 EST

Comments on draft resource priority:

4 IANA

There should not be a total restriction against adding new priorities within 
a namespace between others. The DSN can't be prevented from ever expanding 
its set of priorities. It already states (in Annex A, but should be moved) 
that unrecognized values are treated as Routine (the lowest). Granted, the 
network would have to ensure upgrade of all equipment before making full use 
of a new value, but it should be possible to do this. At most, the text 
should recommend (with "SHOULD") that new values not be added, as in the 
previous draft. Or a statement like:

New priority values MAY be added to a namespace, however, it SHOULD be 
understood that any new value would continue to be treated the same as the 
lowest assigned value by equipment which has not been upgraded to take into 
account the newly registered value.

Annex A

"critic-ecp" should be added to the list in the first paragraph. The 
statement about what is highest and lowest can be deleted, since it is stated 
in the third paragraph. Since this is a "well-known" set of priorities, and 
very short, it is useful to include its definition here.

The statement in third paragraph about the treatment of additional values 
should  be moved to the main body of the draft to apply to all cases, not 
just the DSN namespace. It should refer to "priority value", not "extension 
parameter", since no place else in the draft refers to it as "extension 
parameter" (unless that should clearly be understood to be the part after the 
"dot"). The default (when the value is unrecognized) should be the lowest 
value assigned (in the general case) rather than "routine" (only for DSN).

Mike

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP