Subject: [Sipping] Drafts on SIP Telephony Devices

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:02:37 -0600

Hi folks!

Two related drafts on SIP devices have been submitted for the SIPPING
and SIP WGs. 
They can be retrieved here until they will appear in the IETF archive.

http://www.pingtel.com/docs/draft-sinnreich-sipping-device-requirements-
00.txt

                   SIP Telephony Device Requirements

Abstract

   The SIP Telephony Device Requirements in this document are aimed to
   enable users to procure SIP phones from various vendors and install
   them using a configuration process over the network, though still
   allowing manual configuration data input if desired.  SIP telephony
   devices are also required to be updated up automatically, without the
   intervention of the end user.  The requirements are aimed to allow
   service providers to support large numbers of SIP telephony devices
   from different vendors and SHOULD be used as a checklist for
   developers of SIP phones.

   SIP telephony devices may support basic telephony as well as advanced
   services such as PBX and Centrex-like telephony, third party call
   control, presence based services, roaming and other applications.
   The requirements aim to insure multi-vendor interoperability over the
   Internet and in private IP networks for such services.

               A Framework for SIP User Agent Configuration

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sip-config-framework-01
.txt

Abstract
   This document defines the application of a set of protocols for
   configuring a SIP user agent.  The SIP user agent must discover how
   and from where to retrieve its initial configuration and be notified
   of changes and updates which impact its configuration.  The
   objective is to define a means for automatically configuring a user
   agent such that it can be functional without user or administrative
   intervention.  The framework for discovery, delivery, notification
   and updates of user agent configuration is defined here.  This
   framework is also intended to ease ongoing administration,
   configuration and upgrading of large scale deployments of SIP user
   agents.  The contents and format of the configuration data to be
   defined is outside the scope of this document.

It would be nice to discuss these two together. 
Comments and discussions are most welcome.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Blatherwick, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:00:14 -0500

Thanks for these efforts Henry, Dan, all.  

As a member of a company that is building SIP phones, and plans to do lots more, I'd just like to state my strong support for these efforts.  

While SIP is an excellent toolkit to do all sorts of great things, it is also extremely important from an interoperability perspective to understand what the *minimal* requirements are for a device to be able to plug and play in a multi-vendor environment.  This should not be taken as constraint on what can be designed, but a statement of "if you want to plug in anywhere, do at least this".  Also allows us to say "if you want to do function X, of the N ways to do it, do at least this one".  Same reasoning applies to both SIP protocol use and auto-config aspects.  Both are big issues getting in the way of large scale deployment.  

-- Peter Blatherwick

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: February 22, 2002 10:03
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Drafts on SIP Telephony Devices

Hi folks!

Abstract

Abstract

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip