Subject: [Sipping] New Requirements draft for Generic Request History

From: "Mary Barnes"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:44:10 -0600

Hi all,

We've submitted a draft capturing "Generic Request History" requirements.
Until it appears in the repository, it's available at:
http://www.obsidian97.com/draft-watson-sipping-req-history-00 

Abstract:
   Many services that SIP is anticipated to support require the 
   ability to determine why and how the call arrived at a specific 
   application.  Examples of such services include (but are not limited 
   to) sessions initiated to call centers via "click to talk" SIP URLs 
   on a web page, "call history/logging" style services within 
   intelligent "call management" software for SIP UAs and calls to 
   voicemail servers and call centers.  While SIP implicitly provides 
   the redirect/retarget capabilities that enable calls to be routed to 
   chosen applications, there is currently no standard mechanism within 
   SIP for communicating the history of such a request. This "request 
   history" information allows the receiving application to determine 
   hints about how and why the call arrived at the application/user.    

   This draft discusses the motivations in support of a mechanism which 
   records the "request history" and proposes detailed requirements for 
   such a generic "request history" capability. 

There was a thread started on this topic following IETF-52
(http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sipping/current/msg00874.h
tml ).  We've attempted to capture the spirit of the requirements discussion
from that thread which seems to have stopped around the end of January
(right around the time bis-06 came out). We would like to get some
additional discussion started to progress these requirements. 

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806