Subject: Re: [Sipping] New Assured Service draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:06:50 EST

In a message dated 2/27/02 11:01:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> While the draft provides good background on circuit-style approaches,
>  such as PSTN, Intserv/RSVP, MPLS, one has to wonder if it makes sense to
>  emulate telephony approaches and lay countless paths and priorities over
>  the Internet and in private IP networks. Daily use of SIP phones for
>  international calls over the public Internet and in enterprise networks
>  certainly show that voice is doing just OK, or better than OK without
>  all these mechanisms.
>  
>  If you are bandwidth-starved (bad decision), it is still better to get
>  an important/emergency call across without QoS than not to communicate
>  at all.
>  
>  My two cents.
>  
>  Henry

Henry,

Your're right that we need to get away from the circuit-mode approaches, 
which is why I don't think call (connection) preemption is the solution.

The problem is that I am doing this work to support military networks which 
always seem to be bandwidth starved, especially in case of damage to large 
parts of the infrastructure. We know that there is no problem demonstrated 
with today's IP network and the level of voice calls using it (especially 
since the vast majority of the bandwidth is used for data traffic that can be 
"pushed aside" to let the voice get through). But we're addressing the 
possibility of the completely non-normal condition, including low-bandwidth 
applications being used mostly for voice traffic, as well as non-voice 
traffic that also needs such Assured Service considerations.

Yes, it is important to get the emergency call through, even if it has really 
bad QoS (lost packets, etc.), so high priority doesn't require high quality. 
But there needs to be mechanisms to give the high priority calls better 
quality than the lower priority calls are getting at the same time.

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP