Subject: [Sipping] New Assured Service draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:15:01 EST

To all,

A revision to the ID for Assured Service definition in SIP has been submitted 
which provides changes based on those comments received. This ID defines the 
requirements for Assured Service in SIP to provide prioritized handling for 
certain sessions established using SIP. It also discusses some of the factors 
to be taken into account when planning protocol revisions which may be 
required.

The draft can be found at:
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pierce-sipping-assured-service-01.txt

Mike Pierce

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:01:02 -0600

While the draft provides good background on circuit-style approaches,
such as PSTN, Intserv/RSVP, MPLS, one has to wonder if it makes sense to
emulate telephony approaches and lay countless paths and priorities over
the Internet and in private IP networks. Daily use of SIP phones for
international calls over the public Internet and in enterprise networks
certainly show that voice is doing just OK, or better than OK without
all these mechanisms.

If you are bandwidth-starved (bad decision), it is still better to get
an important/emergency call across without QoS than not to communicate
at all.

My two cents.

Henry

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] New Assured Service draft
> 
> 
> To all,
> 

Mike Pierce

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP