Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-vpim-cc-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:09:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Voice Profile for Internet Mail Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Critical Content MIME Parameter
	Author(s)	: E. Burger
	Filename	: draft-ietf-vpim-cc-05.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 01-Mar-02
	
This document describes the use of a mechanism for identifying body 
parts that a sender deems critical in a multi-part Internet mail 
message.  The mechanism described is a parameter to Content-
Disposition, as described by RFC 3204.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vpim-cc-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-vpim-cc-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vpim-cc-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:31:34 -0500

A little "extra" explanation of this draft may be of value.

The VPIM work group has been working on a critical content indicator since
early 2000.  I was asked to review the -04 draft of isup-mime; however, that
draft did not include the "handling" attribute.

As it happened, the isup-mime draft cleared the queue before vpim-cc.
Fortunately, both documents propose essentially the same protocol mechanism.
The names are different, however.

The purpose of the -05 revision of the vpim-cc draft is many-fold.  First,
the draft harmonizes its terminology with RFC 3204 (the RFC version of
isup-mime).  Second, the draft explains the generic protocol mechanism for
the "handling" attribute, independent of SIP.  RFC 3204 is specific to SIP.
The mechanism needs to be generic.  Third, there are a few areas that RFC
3204 did not specify that are needed in the SIP environment.  vpim-cc-05
describes these issues as EDITOR'S NOTES in the draft.  Note that the
specification of SIP procedures is entirely out of scope for vpim-cc-05.
The issues raised in the EDITOR'S NOTES are entirely the domain of an update
to RFC 3204 in the SIPPING work group.

Most importantly, RFC 3204 defines an important MIME attribute.  However,
the title, "MIME media types for ISUP and QSIG Objects", is not likely to be
the place one would look for such an attribute.

Since RFC 3204 really should address the SIP-specific issues raised by
vpim-cc-05, I took the liberty of submitting the draft as an update to RFC
3204.  Since the "handling" attribute is orthogonal to ISUP and QSIG
transport, it really should be in its own draft.  My expectation is that the
update to RFC 3204 will reference the separate critical content draft.

We will be discussing the critical content draft in Minneapolis at the VPIM
work group meeting.  I would encourage you to attend.

-----Original Message-----

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Voice Profile for Internet Mail Working
Group of the IETF.

[snip]

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP