Subject: Re: [Sipping] sip-911, Preventing dialog termination (slight variant)

From: Jay Batson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:51:37 -0500

I said:
>At 09:46 AM 3/6/2002, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>>A common scenario in this case is that the intruder notices the line is 
>>active and realizes there is someone in the house.
>>
>>One might assert that in this case the proper thing to do is hide the 
>>existence of the call from all other "extensions", present them all with 
>>dial tones, and permit
>>outbound calls, even if it means dropping the 911 call.
>
>
>Of course, the opposite is true too....  One might argue that "single line 
>extension" type behavior is desirable in an emergency call.  The emergency 
>services operator may be accustomed to saying (in appropriate 
>circumstances) "Hang up the phone, walk to another phone, and pick up the 
>phone.  I'll be on the line when you get there."....
>
>So this flies in the face of "hiding the existence of the call from all 
>other 'extensions.'"
>
>Interesting "requirements" exercise, eh?

Of course, I left out the obvious -- not hanging up, and switching to a 
different phone within the home, a behavior I'm sure all IP phone users in 
a residence will expect to experience.

-jb

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP