Subject: [Sipping] WG Task to Develop SigComp Default Dictionary for SIP

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:54:20 -0600

During the SigComp ad-hoc Sunday night (17Mar, IETF 53), it was proposed
that somebody should develop a baseline compression dictionary for SIP
over SigComp. This would be functionally similar to the basic dictionary
in "deflate" -- not optimal, but significantly better than just plain
text compression as a starting point.

I'd like to propose that the SIPPING working group tackle this task as a
working group effort. I suggest that we establish a design team to make
pass at it and report back.

Comments?

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:55:27 -0500

AD comment on this:

This work is appropriate for SIPPING to do.  It should probably be
standards track.

I recommend that one of the SIGCOMP authors be asked to participate 
in the design team.  In the Sunday meeting, there was advice that
such a default dictionary should be well designed to be small and
well-ordered to give most benefit.

Allison