Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing Impairment draft.

From: "Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:39:04 +0100

Hello Peter,
A good thing about this draft is that the visual impaired can also benefit from the services.
I can imagine that a text to braille transcoding service is possible. The visually impaired also have a desire to read notes instead of memorizing them all the time from audio.
Or a text to audio for example for SMS and Instant Messages (SIMPLE).

A service that translates a newsreel/video fragment into something for the visually impaired is also possible (similar as a relay operator or signlangage interpreter for audio to text or sign)is probably also a desired service.

If we do our work well with the SIP services for the Hearing and Speech impaired users, adding visually impaired  
users will be seamlessly (same enablers, just different service).
I am thinking of adding a reference to mention that this draft can also include visual impairment. Maybe even add an example of text to braille transcoding. 

But the focus of this draft will remain mainly for the hearing and speech impaired users, since they will require the broadest range of services compared to the visual impaired. (audio is at this moment the default media for telephony :-)

What does the SIPPING WG think about that?

Greetz

Arnoud

_______________________________________________________________
ERICSSON EUROLABS NETHERLANDS BV
Arnoud van Wijk
Research & Development (ELN/V)
Fax: +31-161 247569
_______________________________________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: Kozdon, Peter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: woensdag 2002-03-13 20:48
To: 'Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing
Impairment draft.

This draft seems to excellently cover support needs for Hearing Impairment,
however, we should also consider Visual Impairment concurrently with any
activity that evolves from this draft. With Convergence - many
implementations will provide "text based" information in conjunction will
voice sessions. In the same way as Hearing Impaired are not able to utilize
the "audio" portions of sessions so the Visually Impaired will not have
access to the visual portion of a communication dialog.

Even though I am not fully familiar with such needs, many of the services
described in this draft would seem to have their direct complement for
Hearing Impaired, especially if we also broaden the scope to include
"SIMPLE". In many cases the draft specifies a need for a audio->visual media
conversion service - the complementary of visual (not limited to
text)->audio media conversion would also seem to be desirable. 

Peter Kozdon

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnoud van Wijk (ELN) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 4:35 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing Impairment
draft.

Hello SIPPING People!

We have released the latest draft describing User Requirements for SIP in
support of deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired individuals.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-deaf-req-00.txt

What I like to "hear" from you as SIPPING WG members;
Do you think that this draft is both a reasonable representation of
requirements and that it is complete and consistent with IETF document
models? (quote from Dean)

Have we forgotten anything? Should we mention other things? 
Do you want better flow drawings? 
Do you understand the message of this draft?
Do you think that you have enough material with this draft to start
designing/developing SIP in support of deaf, hard of hearing and
speech-impaired individuals? Etc. Etc.
 
So, please read this draft and post your comments on this SIPPING
mailinglist. It will soon go for WGLC and then to be submitted to the IESG!

Thanks!

Arnoud van Wijk
_______________________________________________________________
ERICSSON EUROLABS NETHERLANDS BV
Arnoud van Wijk
Fax: +31-161 247569
_______________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:33:26 -0500

I think that by focusing on one set of requirements will allow us to get to
a place where it will be easy to extend the solution set to include the
other.

Said in English, focus on hearing impaired, and services for visually
impaired users will come easily.  If we try to do too much, we may end up
with nothing at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 6:39 AM
To: 'Kozdon, Peter'; Arnoud van Wijk (ELN); [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing
Impairment draft.

Hello Peter,
A good thing about this draft is that the visual impaired can also benefit
from the services.
I can imagine that a text to braille transcoding service is possible. The
visually impaired also have a desire to read notes instead of memorizing
them all the time from audio.
Or a text to audio for example for SMS and Instant Messages (SIMPLE).

A service that translates a newsreel/video fragment into something for the
visually impaired is also possible (similar as a relay operator or
signlangage interpreter for audio to text or sign)is probably also a desired
service.

If we do our work well with the SIP services for the Hearing and Speech
impaired users, adding visually impaired
users will be seamlessly (same enablers, just different service).
I am thinking of adding a reference to mention that this draft can also
include visual impairment. Maybe even add an example of text to braille
transcoding.

But the focus of this draft will remain mainly for the hearing and speech
impaired users, since they will require the broadest range of services
compared to the visual impaired. (audio is at this moment the default media
for telephony :-)

Greetz

Arnoud

-----Original Message-----
From: Kozdon, Peter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: woensdag 2002-03-13 20:48
To: 'Arnoud van Wijk (ELN)'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing
Impairment draft.

Peter Kozdon

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnoud van Wijk (ELN) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 4:35 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sipping] Comments/opinions asked for this Hearing Impairment
draft.

Hello SIPPING People!

Thanks!

Arnoud van Wijk