Subject: [Sipping] Billing info in SIP messages

From: "Jagannathan R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:05:49 +0530

Hello All,

 Can any one clarify the following points, please:

1. How the billing is done in SIP, and how the billing information is coded in the SIP messages.
2. When a SIP User wants to make an International call, how does he select different carriers. 
    And where the carrier identification code is put.
3. What is the analogy of Termination ID of Megaco in SIP, and how to represent? 
    ( precisely I want to know about the  connection topology between Proxy server and User Agent)

Thanks in Advance,

jagannathan

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:25:09 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Jagannathan R
> Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 8:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] Billing info in SIP messages
> 
> 
> Hello All,
> 
> 1. How the billing is done in SIP, and how the billing 
> information is coded in the SIP messages. 
SIP does not do billing explicitly. You can use any of the fields in a
SIP message to capture accounting information and bill for it. If you
want to bill for SIP invites that have "Make $$$$ now" in their subject
field at $5.00 and "Help hundry children" in the subject field at $.01,
that's your prerogative.
If you want to bill for SIP dialogs with "From: George Bush" at $100,
and "From: Kofi Annan" at $.50, you can do that. And so on.

> 2. When a SIP User 
> wants to make an International call, how does he select 
> different carriers. 
What is an international call on the Internet?

If you want to select a particular service provider to handle a
particular SIP dialog, you can pre-load a Route which will cause your
SIP messages to visit that particular domain's proxy server(s).

>     And where the carrier identification code is put.
I do not believe, last I heard, that the Internet has carrier
identification codes. 

That said, one could come up with a scheme that mapped domain names to
carrier id codes so that PSTN gateways could do the appropriate magic.
Check out the SIP-ISUP interworking draft for more information for the
specific case of hop-on-hop-off <draft-ietf-sip-isup-03.txt>

> 3. What is the analogy of Termination ID of Megaco in SIP, 
There is no analogy. The concept of temrination ID is completely a
creatue for the Megaco protocol.

> between Proxy server and User Agent)
The connection topology is the Internet. 

Hope the above answers help in understanding SIP.
> jagannathan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP