Subject: [Sipping] BYE generation from the Invited party

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:43:32 -0500

This question came up at ITU SG11 meeting in February related to the 
mapping of ISUP/BICC and SIP messages:

(extraneous messages removed)

A and B are interworking gateways

A sends an INVITE to B
...
B responds with a 200 OK to the INVITE

but B then receives a Release from the destination party.

Can B immediately send a BYE to A or should it wait for the ACK from A to 
complete the dialog, then send BYE?  Or, does B consider the dialog 
completely established upon sending of the 200 OK?

 From the Inviting-side perspective, assuming the 200 OK to INVITE got 
lost, would receipt of the BYE at A (before the 200 OK or before sending of 
ACK) cause it any problems?

Confirmation that BYE can be sent immediately after 200 OK would be good.

Mike

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:13:30 -0500

Michael Hammer wrote:
> complete the dialog, then send BYE?  

It must wait for the ACK. From section 15 of bis:

However, the callee’s UA MUST NOT send a BYE on a confirmed dialog until
it has received an ACK for its 2xx response or until the 2367
server transaction times out. 2368

> Or, does B consider the dialog

The BYE would be rejected as not part of any dialog; that its why you
wait for ACK.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:35:28 -0500

Thanks for the confirmation and reference.  What you stated is what I 
recommended at SG11 during discussion of Q.1912.SIP, but couldn't find the 
reference in bis quickly enough.

Mike

At 02:13 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

>However, the callee's UA MUST NOT send a BYE on a confirmed dialog until

---

From: "Arunachalam Venkatraman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:13:12 -0600

The reason the BYE will be rejected by the UAC is that the To tag of the UAS
is established at the UAC only on receipt of the 200.

Question: What happens when a provisional response is sent reliably? In this
case, the To tag is sent in the 1xx and responded to in the PRACK. In this
case, the BYE can be sent as soon as the final response has been sent,
right?

I am not advocating prescribing one-off exceptions but just curious.

Venkat

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Jonathan Rosenberg
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 1:14 PM
To: Michael Hammer
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sipping] BYE generation from the Invited party

-Jonathan R.