Subject: RE: [Sipping] 3GPP ad-hoc meeting at IETF 53

From: "George Foti (LMC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:09:46 -0500

Georg wrote :
>One of the possible solutions is to do nothing and to route all the initial
>requests to the I-CSCF of the home network, let it query the HSS via
>diameter, wait for the response which tells it the address of the S-CSCF
>(which needs to be hidden in some scenarios due to requirements from US
>telephony network regulation), send a redirect request to the P-CSCF and
>then finally the P-CSCF (outbound proxy) sends the request to the S-CSCF
>(home proxy). This costs simply too much time. We can do that under
certain,
>exceptional conditions, but it is simply not effective.

I have to agree with Georg. 
Interrogating the I-CSCF at every request cannnot be a serious proposition.
I mean we have to do that for every request. So if I look at the many folks
draft and I look at the number of exchanges needed to establish a session,
we are talking about an average of 10+ extra database queries per session.

I am not sure that 3GPP is about to agree to that. When on the other hand we
are doing all sorts of things  to reduce session set-up time, signalling
compression, IP header compression, etc.. All of a sudden we will entertain
10+ extda DB accesses that will not only eliminate all of the savings that
we are trying to achieve with these measures but add further delays that can
turn users away.
I think operators who will pay for that system will simply not buy into such
a solution. 
Optimization may not sound that important to some but for those who will pay
the money to buy such a system it defintely is.

Finally, I dont see the need to have 2 seperate solutions for origintaing
requests and terminating requests.  We need a single same mechanism for both
cases.

Rgds/gf

> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> > This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> > Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> > Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
> >
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
> 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP