Subject: Re: AW: [Sipping] Screened From: and Privacy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:21:17 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/02 4:39:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > There will be no PSTN Operator that take an untrusted From Header to
> > a calling party number --> instead the PSTN operator will set up a
> > new calling party number that is network provided and trusted!
> 
> to which number the network would set the calling party number?  my sip
> users can have any number of calling party numbers belonging to any
> number of calling areas and soon even to any number of countries.  
> 

I believe the point was that the gateway (or whatever you want to call the 
thing that goes between the SIP and the PSTN signaling) would replace the 
untrusted identity in the "From" with a new calling party number, and that 
this new number would be one that designates the operator of the gateway 
itself, not one belonging to the originator of the call. It's like the 
gateway is originating a new call.

But then, I think it more likely that the operator of the gateway would 
simply reject the call attempt as not having all the necessary information.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:27:56 +0300

> gateway is originating a new call.

this makes no sense, because as i have said many times before, the
caller is today using the from field to tell, what calling party number
it wants to use.  so the only thing that i can do is to verify that the
number indeed is one that the caller is entitled to use.  i cant replace
it with any "new calling party number".  if the number in the from uri
doesn't belong to the caller, the only thing i can do is to reject the
call.

and if the calling party doesn't have a telephone number in the from
uri, but a sip url like sip:[email-masked], then my sip/ss7 gw will replace
it with a number of the gateway itself when it forwards the call to the
pstn.  again, there is no need for any new header field that would be
more "trusted" than the from header.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP