Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:41:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Session Initiation Protocol: Requirements on Reason 
                          Information beyond the Status Code
	Author(s)	: G. Camarillo
	Filename	: draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 08-Apr-02
	
Some applications need to know why a particular SIP message was
issued. This document describes those applications and provides a
set of requirements that a mechanism used to transport this type of
information has to fulfill.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sipping-reason-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:54:52 -0400

Gonzalo,

I have another possible reason for Reason:

7. Identifying purpose of dialog refresh

   There are multiple reasons for sending a dialog refresh
   message (e.g. reINVITE). It may be sent simply to update
   a session timer, or it may be sent to test the signalling
   path. In these cases the server need not do anything special.

   But another reason may be that the sender believes there is
   some problem that might be resolved by changing something 
   at the other endpoint. For instance the sender may be
   receiving errors attempting to send media to the receiver.
   A change in media port at the receiving endpoint might fix
   this problem. However there is currently no way to distinguish
   this case from a simple refresh.

(I numbered this 7 because you have two 5s in your draft.)

There is another case I don't see mentioned, but I am not sure
where to put it. This is the case of CANCEL or BYE used to
drop extra call legs of a forked invite. Would like to indicate
the difference between dropping because answered elsewhere and
dropping because changed mind or got tired of waiting.
This could be important to avoid later callbacks. This is similar
to stuff in your Service Creation section, but the name seems
wrong.

	Paul

[email-masked] wrote:
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:26:01 +0300

Hello Paul,

I believe the new version of Reason cover these scenarios. The only
thing we would need to define (I already said this somewhere, but I do
not remember whether it was in the SIP mailing list or here) a new
status code: no media received.

It was claimed that this may be a too specific reason code, but I still
think that it is quite general.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo