Subject: RE: [Sipping] Screened From: and Privacy

From: "Zmolek, Andrew (Andrew)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:44:11 -0600

> the uri of the from field MUST contain the calling 
> number, whereas the display string controls the 
> anonymity or that number.
> 
> -- juha

Just because a display string might exist doesn't mean it's necessarily the only thing presented to the end user at the far end. Frankly, an implementer can choose to display as much or as little as desired, use local policy, etc. And while the display string may meet UAI requirements, it doesn't meet NAI without forcing a choice. 

Again, what is the benefit gained by forcing a choice between UAI and NAI? I don't see it.

--Andy

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:19:36 +0300

> Just because a display string might exist doesn't mean it's
 > necessarily the only thing presented to the end user at the far
 > end. Frankly, an implementer can choose to display as much or as
 > little as desired, use local policy, etc. And while the display
 > string may meet UAI requirements, it doesn't meet NAI without forcing
 > a choice.

seems that you didn't understand how things happen (which i have
explained already at least twice before).

if the user has given display string "Anonymous" and the call gets
routed to sip destination, i must implement b2bua and make also the from
uri anonymous.  if the call gets routed to pstn, i set the calling party
number blocking parameter.

 > Again, what is the benefit gained by forcing a choice between UAI and

i don't understand how this relates to what i have said.  i simply want
to check that if someone uses my service, that someone is not spoofing
its calling party identity.  today the from field happens to be the only
way for the caller to tell what its identity is and if the caller wants
to reveal or not.

i still don't understand what this whole thread is all about and i still
haven't got a reply to my question what advantage rpid or some other new
header field would bring as compared to the current situation.

-- juha