Subject: RE: [Sipping] draft-yu-tel-url-04.txt comment

From: "Yu, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:05:04 -0500

> 
> That is true, but the intermediate node may still change the 
> Request-URI. In
> that case it could remote the old user part - INCLUDING your 
> parameters - and
> add a new user part without them. I guess you don't want that 
> to happend, do
> you?

An intermediate node may not just replace the Request-URI by another URL.
For example, if a telephone number (TN) appears in the user part, I cannot
imagine that an intermediate node will totally ignore the TN in the user
part when replacing the Request-URI with another URL.  If the node is
examining the user part, especially the TN and if it understands those
extensions, it will know how to make use of the info.  If it does not
understand the extensions, it can just ignore them.

> 
> Others have asked, and I also still would like to know, why 
> you can't define the
> parameters as uri-parameters instead??? Maybe there is a good 
> reason, and maybe
> there is something I've missed, so please tell me.
> 

Initially I was looking for url-parameters to put rn, npdi and cic.  After
consulting with Jonathan and Henning, they suggested me to put in tel URL.
It made sense because those parameters were closely tied to the TN.  Your
issue is really how to convert a tel URL (with those extensions) to a sip
URL.  The present scheme is to leave them with the TN so they all appear in
the user part.  You are suggesting to put them in the url-parameters.  My
perception is that most people do not have a problem with the current
arrangement.  Please feel free to push for using the url-parameters for
those parameters.  You'll need to defend why you need them.

James

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:12:44 -0400

James,

Another thought:  How do anonymizers handle these parameters?
Would they preserve the parameters somehow, even though they are not
privacy related?

Mike

At 12:05 PM 4/19/2002 -0500, Yu, James wrote:

> you?

An intermediate node may not just replace the Request-URI by another
URL.

For example, if a telephone number (TN) appears in the user part, I
cannot

imagine that an intermediate node will totally ignore the TN in the
user

part when replacing the Request-URI with another URL.  If the node
is

examining the user part, especially the TN and if it understands
those

extensions, it will know how to make use of the info.  If it does
not

Initially I was looking for url-parameters to put rn, npdi and cic.
After

consulting with Jonathan and Henning, they suggested me to put in tel
URL.

It made sense because those parameters were closely tied to the TN.
Your

issue is really how to convert a tel URL (with those extensions) to a
sip

URL.  The present scheme is to leave them with the TN so they all
appear in

the user part.  You are suggesting to put them in the
url-parameters.  My

perception is that most people do not have a problem with the
current

arrangement.  Please feel free to push for using the url-parameters
for

James

Sipping mailing list
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:38:01 -0400

All,

Scratch that last question.  I think I am getting my wires crossed between 
reading two threads.

Mike