Subject: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:12:35 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Hi,

John Loughney has just submitted a first draft rewrite of the SIP AAA
requirements.  Until it appears in the archive, you can download it from:

http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sip-aaa-req-00.txt

Comments are solicited on the SIPPING list only.

John will also be leading discussion on this topic at the interim meeting
next week.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:39:04 -0500

As 3GPP, 3GPP2 and 802.11 wireless networks are poised to use both SIP
and Mobile IP, one cannot help notice there seems to be a lot
commonality between:

1-SIP AAA requirements

2-3GPP Requirements on SIP
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-3gpp-reqs-03.txt

3-and most of all, Mobile IP AAA Requirements, RFC 2977
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2977.txt

The mobile IP WG http://ietf.org/html.charters/mobileip-charter.html has
actually covered a lot of groundwork, where it may make sense to avoid
duplication, such as for example for AAA Registration Keys
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-09.txt

Here are some striking analogies:

Mobile IP    SIP
================
MN-----------UA
FA-----------Visited SIP Registrar
AAAL/H-------SIP AAA
AAAB---------Clearinghouse
See the AAAarch web page
http://iridal.phys.uu.nl/~aaaarch/doc10/home.html and also
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johnston-sip-osp-token-02.txt

One more item that the Mobile IP WG has successfully solved is the
separation of specific AAA solutions such as RADIUS, DIAMETER or XML web
services from the mobile IP protocol itself. It is not for the SIPPING
WG to pick winners and losers in AAA solutions and promote one or
another, as has been discussed.

We should try to avoid coming up with several different/incompatible
infrastructures, multiple logons and general annoyance from duplication
of work. Or have the IESG step in to make order.

I believe the SIPPING Mobile IP and AAAarch IP folks should talk to each
other during the WG discussions or maybe possibly at a Bar BOF. I have
taken therefore the liberty to copy the Mobile IP and AAAarch lists.

>John will also be leading discussion on this topic at the interim
meeting next week.
The interested Mobile IP and AAAarch people cannot attend at such short
notice.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Rohan Mahy
> Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:13 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements (fwd)
>
>
> Hi,
>
> John Loughney has just submitted a first draft rewrite of the
> SIP AAA requirements.  Until it appears in the archive, you
> can download it from:
>

John will also be leading discussion on this topic at the interim
meeting next week.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:49:35 -0500

1-SIP AAA requirements

Mobile IP    SIP
================
MN-----------UA

meeting next week.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom

thanks,
-rohan