Subject: [Sipping] SIP billing service, new draft-beck-sipping-billing-scen-00.txt

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:04:05 +0200

During the Minneapolis meeting an idea came up to use SIP
to invoke billable services ("SIP = Service Invoice Protocol").
The draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beck-sippping-billing-scen-00.txt
outlines some scenarios, security considerations and mechanisms.

What is a billable service?

-  a PSTN gateway?
-  a non-free support hotline?
-  accepting SIP calls from obtrusive salespeople?
-  accepting RTP traffic that will show up on the bill of my volume-based
IP access?

Extra header(s) are needed to convey pricing information and to protect callers.

CPL could be extended in a way that enables users to individually charge
callers. 

Non-repudiation is an issue here. 

Comments?

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "James Undery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:13:16 +0100

Hi,

I've a large number of problems with this draft, mainly it isn't a set
of requirements ;-). The scenarios miss a large number of obvious
attacks, using route to generate 200s to BYEs, both parties colluding to
defraud (by creating asymetry in timings of two BSPs; assuming a global
BSP is logistically infeasible), callee taking caller to his cost limit
every time and a host of others things no doubt.

However, it should be noted as I am biased and don't believe you can
bill for any resource you don't directly control. A corollary of this
belief is, in order to bill on the call duration you must be call
stateful.

James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Beck01, Wolfgang [mailto:[email-masked]]