Subject: [Sipping] Important: SMIME support required for SIP-T

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:45:06 -0700

Hi,

During IESG review of the draft-ietf-sipping-sipt-framework, the 
Security Area asked to require end-to-end message integrity using SMIME 
and to recommend end-to-end encryption of encapsulated ISUP.  This seems 
quite sensible given the sensitive nature of ISUP and the variety of 
intermediaries that such SIP messages might visit.

Because this effectively requires all SIP-T implementors to add support 
for SMIME, I'm asking for a one week comment period.  I'd like to point 
out that ISUP gateways are few enough that they can feasibly obtain or 
be configured with the necessary certificates.  I'd also like to mention 
that any alternative proposal probably needs to have demonstrably the 
same or better end-to-end security in its intended application in order 
to be amenable to the security ADs.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:10:15 -0500

For the record, I support this change.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rohan Mahy [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 7:45 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [Sipping] Important: SMIME support required for SIP-T
> 
> 
> Hi,
>