Subject: [Sipping] SIP for streaming media?

From: Glauco Bigini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:16:08 +0200

A simple question:

Why is SIP used to manage anything (about telephony and conferencing) but
multimedia streaming services? 

I know there is the RTSP protocol, which was developed to do exactly this
work, but thinking about SIP as a future global signalling protocol for IP
multimedia streaming services this would be a hole in its functionalities.

Future developments of mobile telephony networks (UMTS Release 5) plan to
use SIP for telephony signalling. Adding streaming control to SIP would help
manufacturers to optimize the protocol stack without having the need to
implement other protocols and would surely boost the use of SIP in the
public Internet too.

Best regards to all

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP