Subject: [Sipping] conferencing terminology in cc-fw

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:25:47 -0700

Hi,

I'm preparing to rev cc-fw for the draft deadline. As part of this 
effort I want to remove a bunch of material and put some of it in the 
various conferencing drafts and some more in the service flows draft.

I recall from the interim meeting in Vegas that we agreed to use the 
terminology from cc-framework or make specific proposals to change that 
language.  In various one-on-one conversations, I've heard that a few 
people don't like the term "mixer" and want to use a different noun.  
These folks feel that mixer is too-RTP centric.

 From cc-fw:

A mixer is a component that combines media from all dialogs in the same 
conversation in a media specific way.  For example, the default 
combining for an audio conference would be an N-1 configuration.  In 
other words, each user receives a mixed media stream that represents the 
combined audio of all the users except himself or herself.

When I wrote this, I was certainly thinking that a text-mixer was 
totally legitimate.

I'll take nominations for new terms over the weekend.  Note that 
conference-server or conferencing-server is not OK with me because the 
industry accepted usage of this term means something else (typically it 
also has an application component that handles scheduled conferences 
among other things)

thanks,
-rohan