Subject: FW: [Sipping] draft-watson-sipping-req-history-01

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:00:02 -0500

I meant to "Reply to all" on this...per my reference in response to Dean's
email...

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH] 
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 2:47 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] draft-watson-sipping-req-history-01

Hi Frank, 

A new draft was submitted on Monday and is waiting to make it's way through
the queue.  There is a copy available if you'd like to look at this before
it does:
http://home.attbi.com/~mbarnes42/IETF/draft-watson-sipping-req-history-02.tx
t
 
The major changes are:
- More detailed specification of the security requirements associated with
Request history, documented in section 5 Security Considerations, per the
issue raised in the SIP Interim meeting. 
- Further clarification of the optionality aspects (section 4.3) of Request
History wrt requirements that it puts on applications which might make use
of such a mechanism. 

Although this draft might be useful for QSIG interworking, the intent is
indeed to provide a basic building block for the use of SIP based
applications.

Feedback on the draft in general would be appreciated, most specifically on
the updated sections.  And yes, the authors would also certainly like this
to be accepted as a WG document, but it is likely that this needs to be
preceded by some discussion on the new content. 

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes 
[email-masked] 
972-684-5432 
Wireless 817-703-4806 

 -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 6:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] draft-watson-sipping-req-history-01

Having read this read this draft, I was wondering why the authors have not 
produced a new version. Because, as indicated in the draft, SIP currently 
does not have certain potentially useful"notification mechanisms" (and I 
am not referring to SIP NOTIFY). 

Notifications that help the participants involved in session establishment 
to take action based on "why" a request arrived and "from where" it arrived,

could greatly enhance the services offered. 

Take the following example. When Alice calls Bob and is diverted to Carol, 
it might be useful (depending on what you want to do) to have: 

- a way to inform Alice and Carol about what't going on. I.e. that the call 
  is being diverted and why it is being diverted. 
- a way to inform Carol about the party that was originally called and the 
  party that is diverting the call 
- preventing this information from being presented 
- etc. 

There are many more possibilities. These issues surfaced when we were 
trying to look at some interworking scenarios between QSIG supplementary 
services and SIP. The lack of this sort of functionality would reduce 
the QSIG functionality in an interworking scenarion 

Not surprising, this type of notifications, is also useful in a "pure" 
SIP environment. Which sort of brings me back to my original question. 

I support that the SIPPING and SIP groups should probably make this into 
an item to be addressed. 

Any other views? 

Regards, 

Frank