Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: indicating media topology in 'join' primitive

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:24:39 -0700

Hi Rohan,

In draft-fairlie-netapp-session-00 I suggested that a Join operation could
be used to associate  a network application session with an end-to-end
dialog. However, the desired result is actually closer to a Far Fork in
terms of media topology but has similarities with a Join in that the
operation is between two pre-existing dialogs.

Far Fork is listed as :        { A , B } --> { A , B } & { B , C }
Local Join is listed as :        { A, B}  , {A, C}  -->  {A, B, C}

I was proposed that the association operation could take between two
pre-existing dialogs and would create an Anchor at the common endpoint.

        { A, B } , { B , C } --> { A ,  B } & { B , C }

This doesn't seem to be explicitly covered by the cc-framework. I believe
this falls into the Far Fork operation category. Perhaps this permutation
should be added to the document.

If so, how does one accomplish this?
Can Fork-With/Join headers be put in re-INVITE for one dialog? (explicit)
REFER with Fork-With/Join should also be possible. (implicit)

Cheers,

Robert.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohan Mahy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 4:17 PM
To: Sanjoy Sen
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sipping] Re: indicating media topology in 'join' primitive

Hi, 

Well we've come to consensus twice to have an explicit Join header, but that
consensus seems to be a tenuous and fragile thing. 

thanks, 
-rohan 

On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 08:05 AM, Sanjoy Sen wrote: 

Hi, 

    In Sec 5.3.8 of draft-ietf-sipping-cc-framework, the need for specifying
the media topology 
descriptor while using 'join' is mentioned. Has there been any discussions
as to whether this is expected to be an explicit parameter in the Join
header or, a new SDP attribute or, implicitly through
a=sendonly/recvonly/sendrecv (doesn't take care of all the cases)? 

Thanks, 
Sanjoy 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Sanjoy Sen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:13:05 -0500

Hmm. I'm not sure whether we need the Join header, but I think at least 2
out of the 4 media topologies described in section 5.3.8 of cc-frameworks
are useful. I'm referring to topologies - 1. <Send: point to point, Receive:
mix> and 2. <Send: mix, Receive: point to point>. The other two topologies -
2. <Send: mix, Receive: mix> is simple conferencing and 3. <Send: point to
point, Receive: point to point> can be done using Fork header. There needs
to be a way to specify these topologies (1. and 4.). What're other
alternatives?
 
Did Fork header get WG consensus?
 
Thanks,
Sanjoy

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohan Mahy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 10:17 AM
To: Sen, Sanjoy [NGC:B677:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: indicating media topology in 'join' primitive 

Hi, 

thanks, 

-rohan 

Hi, 

Thanks, 

Sanjoy