Subject: [Sipping] update of nat-scenarios

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:37:46 -0400

Folks,

I've submitted an update to the nat-scenarios document as a sipping work 
item. Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios-00.txt

Changes since draft-rosenberg-sipping-nat-scenarios-00

         o Added more discussion on registration approaches. Updated
           (partially) to reflect removal of translate header in favor of
           connection sharing.

         o Reference updates.

         o Added evaluation criteria.

This document still needs a lot of work. I didn't modify it too much; 
I'm holding off on polishing it until the midcom work is farther along.

Note that there is an ipr declaration at the bottom, as a result of the 
Nortel claim on the carrier b2bua-wm approach.

THanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Kim Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:28:30 -0400

In the future releases of the document, will there be any mention of
IPv4<->IPv6 network address translation, or will placing SIP calls
across a mixed IPv4 and IPv6 network be handled in a separate document? 
(i.e. when one provider has an IPv4 network, and another provider has an
IPv6 network -- when a UA in the IPv6 network places the call, it may
terminate in either network, with or without NAT, (with forking, it
might reach endpoints on both simultaneously))

    IPv6  Network    |    IPv4 Network
                     |
Calling              |
UA2      Proxy       |       Proxy     UA3
----     ------    -----    -------   -----
|  |<--->|    |<-->|NAT|<-->|     |<->|   | 
----     ------    -----    -------   -----
            |        |         |
            |        |         |
            V        |         V
          -----      |      -------
          |   |      |      |     |
          -----      |      -------
           UA2       |        UA4

-- 
Kim Liu  [email-masked] | There are two kinds of fool. One says, 
Senior Software Engineer | "This is old, and therefore good."
Lucent Technologies      | And one says, "This is new, and therefore 
Clearwater, FL, 33761    | better." -- John Brunner, "The Shockwave
Rider"