Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: The Reason Header Field for the Session Initiation Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:46:45 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

 o The Reason Header Field for the Session Initiation Protocol
	<draft-ietf-sip-reason-01.txt>
 o SIP Extension for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts
	<draft-willis-sip-path-08.txt>

These documents are the product of the Session Initiation Protocol
Working Group and the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
   The document 'The Reason Header Field for the Session Initiation Protocol'
    defines a header field, Reason, that can be used to say why a particular
    SIP request was issued. The same SIP request can be issued for a variety
    of reasons. For example, a SIP CANCEL request can be issued if the call has
    completed on another branch or was abandoned before answer. While the
    protocol and system behavior is the same in both cases, namely, alerting
    will cease, the user interface may well differ. In the second case, the
    call may be logged as a missed call, while this would not be appropriate if
    the call was picked up elsewhere. The Reason header field is also intended
    to be used to encapsulate a final status code in a provisional response.
    This functionality is needed to resolve the "Heterogeneous Error Response
    Forking Problem", or HERFP.

    The document 'Session Initiation Protocol Extension Header Field for
    Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts' defines a SIP extension header "Path"
    which can be used when network topology may have one or more SIP proxies
    between the UA and the registrar, such that any request traveling from the
    user's home network to the registered UA must traverse these proxies. The
    Path header is used to discover and record the sequence of proxies in the
    registrar.

Working Group Summary

    The SIP working group supported publication of these documents.
    Both were deemed to have broad applicability and merit the
    extension of the set of SIP headers.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

Note to RFC Editor:

 The "protocol" item in the ABNF says:

                protocol = SIP / Q.850 / token

  but SIP and Q.850 are literal strings, so it should say:

                protocol = "SIP" / "Q.850" / token

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP