Subject: [Sipping] new version of signaled digits available

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:10:42 -0700

Hi,

I resubmitted the signaled digits draft I wrote ages ago.  I am keeping 
this around mainly for a requirements comparison to Jonathan's markup 
draft.   Until it appears in the archives, its available on softarmor at:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-signaled-digits-01.
html
http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-signaled-digits-01.
txt

Note that I believe I found a way to satisfy the requirements that 
originally motivated INFO without using INFO.

When using a protocol translator, you could use SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY if 
only you could convey to your peer that it really should subscribe to 
your telephone-event package.   A similar problem happens when someone 
is interested in the participants of a conference, but doesn't want to 
subscribe to conf-info package for every two way call, in the unlikely 
event that it becomes a conference.

The protocol translator includes a Call-Info header in an INVITE or a 
200 or provisional to that INVITE. This tells the far end that a URI 
which provides further information about the call is available.  This 
just happens to be a SIP URI for a subscription to signaled digits:

-> INVITE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0

<- SIP/2.0 200 OK
     Call-Info: 
sip:translator.foo.org;method=SUBSCRIBE?Event=telephone-event

-> SUBSCRIBE sip:translator.foo.org SIP/2.0
     Event: telephone-event

...

a similar approach could be used for the markup approach as well.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP