Subject: [Sipping] new draft about charging for services provided by an end point

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:50:16 +0200

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beck-sipping-svc-charging-req-00.txt

is a requirements draft about the problem of how an endpoint can
charge for services it provides.

Today, users must fill out forms to get a username/password pair they
can use for accessing an endpoint that provides some non-free service.
This is not comfortable. A service provider can't prove that the user
has used the endpoint. The user can't prove that it didn't access the
service provider's endpoint. We need a trusted third party.

Can OSP be included in all SIP user agents? Or can a proxy serve as a
trusted third party?

If we had a simple charging mechanism, every end user could be a
'service provider': answering a phone call? A service, at least if I
have to pay for the megabyte. Answering a phone call at 3 am? A very
expensive service!

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:19:33 -0500

>Can OSP be included in all SIP user agents?

While the OSP is a neat protocol, it was developed before the emergence
of the w3c.org XML based web services. See http://www.w3.org/ for SOAP,
UDDI, WSDL.

Unless carriers want to be disconnected from e-commerce, I believe
charging for communication services should use the above. This would
imply a fresh start on several documents related to SIP, AAA, etc. that
seem to be stuck now in the DIAMETER mode. More on this shortly...

Henry

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Beck01, Wolfgang
> Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 9:50 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] new draft about charging for services 
> provided by an end point
> 
> 
> 
> 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-beck-sipping-svc-charging-req-
00.txt

is a requirements draft about the problem of how an endpoint can charge
for services it provides.

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP