Subject: [Sipping] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.t xt

From: Orit Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:42:10 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 6:34 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Requirements for Tightly Coupled SIP Conferencing
	Author(s)	: O. Levin et al.
	Filename	:
draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 03-Jul-02
	
This document examines a wide range of conferencing requirements 
being applied to a tightly coupled SIP Star conference. 
Separate documents will map the requirements to existing protocol 
primitives, define new protocol extensions, and introduce new 
protocols. 
Together, these documents would provide a guide for building 
interoperable SIP conferencing applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-require
ments-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:42:11 -0400

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:38:59 -0500

The requirements should not be tied to specific codecs, except as
examples. If specific codecs are mentioned, than I suggest to mention
the Internet audio codec in the examples. Possibly as a MUST codec, on
the standards track, see:

<draft-andersen-ilbc-01.txt>
<draft-duric-rtp-ilbc-01.txt>

If T.120 is given as an example for the whiteboard, it would be only
fair to mention IETF whiteboard tools such as wb as well, since they
were actually used in IETF MMUSIC, AVT and other multicast sessions, I
believe. See the examples in RFC 2327.

The Internet iLBC and wb codecs are not tied to expensive licenses and
may be even better.

Am not sure if the application concepts (META Application) belong into
an I-D on requirements, or if they are  even desirable. The arbitration
role of the conference chair may be better associated with "floor
control" and am also not sure where it belongs.

If in doubt, I suggest during the discussion at the SIPPING WG meeting
we use the simplicity learned in MMUSIC, AVT and other WG as a role
model.

Finally, the draft uses some OSI/ITU-T vocabulary and notions that may
not make sense in the Internet architecture, such as:

-Control Plane,
-Media Plane.

Suggest we go back here to RFCs on the Internet Architecture.

As proposed, this requirement draft should be consolidated with other
conferencing requirements drafts, after some discussions and agreement
on the scope of a conferencing requirements I-D.

Thanks, Henry

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Orit Levin
> Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 11:42 AM
> To: Sipping (E-mail)
> Subject: [Sipping] FW: I-D 
> ACTION:draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.t xt
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Subject: I-D 
> ACTION:draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 
ments-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-levin-sipping-conferencing-requirements-01.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP