Subject: [Sipping] update to draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 14:24:22 -0400

Folks,

I posted an update to draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models. Until it 
appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models-01.txt

I didn't have time to do any real changes to this. The revision is 
mostly a keepalive to keep it in the IETF archives. I think it needs a 
lot of work given our current understanding of sip conferencing (i.e., 
conference = URI concept).

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:38:59 -0500

The Models for Multi Party Conferencing in SIP is a very useful basic
reference. I suggest it should be continued and have a couple for
proposals:

2 End System Mixing

Replace the comment "Because the three-way calling approach works only
for the most basic
   case, we do not recommend it as a general solution."

Three-way calling is a very useful feature in many PSTN phones and in
cell phones, and it can be argued it "SHOULD" be supported also in SIP
telephony devices. Just mention the limitations of this approach.

2.5 Discovering Participant Identities (and in several other chapters)

"The identities of other participants in the conference is NOT known
through SIP. Rather, it is learned through RTP."

As discussed on this list, RTP is not satisfactory for instant and
secure information about other participants, but SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY is.
<draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-00.txt> has a conferencing
example using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY to inform about conference participants.
Can this example be copied into the
<draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models>. If the authors would permit
:-)

Thanks, Henry

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Jonathan Rosenberg
> Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 1:24 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] update to draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models
> 
> 
> Folks,
> 
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-models-01.
txt

-Jonathan R.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP