Subject: [Sipping] SIP-AAA Requirements draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:15:18 +0300

Hi all,

We updated the draft according to comments recieved at the
interim meeting. Until it hits the IETF site, it can be 
found from here:

http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sip-aaa-01.txt

The next steps are to have the WG review the requirements to
see if they are real requirements, requirements for a specific
network/scenario or general requirements.  Also, it would be good
to know if we've missed anything.

Also, we'd like to have some simple SIP & AAA scenarios as well.
At the interim meeting, we discussed that a interprovider
WLAN roaming case, accessing 3rd party services would be a good
example.  Another example would be basic 3G services.  Currently,
I only have place holders for these.  If anyone wants to help
out in writing these, please let me know.

Finally, I'd like to know if there is interest in this work,
if I could get some time at the WG meeting to discuss this work,
and if this should be a WG draft.

thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:27:03 -0500

The SIPPING WG may want to step back and allocate 10-15 minutes to
discuss the increasing number of I-Ds related to SIP, AAA and charging.
All these drafts are pretty much like ships in the night - they ignore
each other. I believe they can be classified as:

A. SIP Charging Using the Installed Base

<draft-schulzrinne-accounting-sip-00.txt> is a quite complete outline
how to charge for SIP services using the installed RADIUS base.

B. "Too Little - Too Late" new technology proposals I-D

I would put in this category proposals to use the OSP or DIAMETER for
AAA and will skip the long list, some of which I have also co-authored.
Though arguably valid proposals, I believe they have been obsoleted by
the advent of AAA based on web services.

C. Emerging AAA based on Web Services.

There have been unfortunately no SIP related drafts showing XML based
services and secure transport for SIP AAA and this is funny, since it
may lead to end users having a SIP device to engage in e-commerce using
web services clients on the device, while the SIP AAA part is still
running some other arcane protocols! There are plenty of company web
sites dealing with web services. The standards one to start with is for
example http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/  .

D. 3GPP Specific (may be actually closer to A.)

<draft-henrikson-sip-charging-information-03>

Proposal:

My specific proposal is to go ahead with A due to its practical value,
while evaluating the relative merits of B and C and stopping this work
until the impact of XML based web services can be addressed. I suppose
the 3GPP approach is already too far ahead to make any changes.

Should we discuss this during the SIPPING WG meeting?

What does the chair  recommend?

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA