Subject: [Sipping] Confusion of BYE in the latest spec.

From: "Juei-Cheng Lo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 06:44:17 -0400

Dear sirs,

   Here is a question regarding to a callee's UA terminaing a call before 
receiving an ACK or before 64*t1 timeout.

   In Chapter 15 of the latest SIP (rfc3261) there is a paragraph states:

    >However, the callee's UA MUST NOT send a BYE on a confirmed dialog
    >until it has received an ACK for its 2xx response or until the server
    >transaction times out.

    On the case of caller never sends ACK: What should be done (in addition 
to
stop the retransmitting of 200) if the callee's UA determines to abort the 
call
before 64*t1?  Is it still allowed to send a BYE?  People often hang up the 
call
if they pick up the handset but hear nothing.  If a BYE is not allowed for 
the
hang up action, what should be done to terminate the call?

    Thanks.

JC

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Arunachalam Venkatraman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:20:41 -0500

I believe the suggestion is to queue up the BYE for transmission until the
ACK is received or the timer fires.

Does this apply to a re-INVITE also? I would think not but I cannot see it
spelt out in the spec.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Juei-Cheng Lo
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 5:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Confusion of BYE in the latest spec.

Dear sirs,

    Thanks.

JC