Subject: RE: [Sipping] new draft about charging for services provided by a n end point

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:04:47 +0200

Henry,
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 4:20 PM
> To: 'Beck01, Wolfgang'; [email-masked]
> 
> >Can OSP be included in all SIP user agents?
> 
> While the OSP is a neat protocol, it was developed before the 
> emergence
> of the w3c.org XML based web services. See http://www.w3.org/ 
> for SOAP,
> UDDI, WSDL.
The Web Services community doesn't seem to have a generally accepted
way to bill users for using Web Services.

One approach resembles the OSP model ("resource counter"):
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-maws/

Trusted intermediaries are also being considered ("web services network"):
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-netwrk.html?dwzone=webservices

We could create an OSP-like protocol with WSDL and SOAP, of course.
Do we really need the level of flexibility these tools provide? I
expect a UDDI/WSDL/SOAP implementation to be at least as complex
as SIP itself. Even if it is already included in a OS, it consumes
precious memory and CPU resources in my cheap or mobile end device.

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:42:49 -0500

Wolfgang,

This has also to do with AAA and SIP, so maybe we can have an
interestting discussion.

SIP enpoints like phones, laptops, PDA's etc. are not 'cheap' and quite
powerful actually. The same applies to mobile phones, what with music,
video, etc.

Web services live and will grow anyhow and it is up to us to embrace
them, IMHO. It finally comes down to a business decision, wheover can
afford to ignore them. We can take a vote during the SIPPING WG meeting
if the chair agrees and also get some guidance from the area directors. 

Henry

> From: Beck01, Wolfgang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:05 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Sipping] new draft about charging for services 
> provided by a n end point
> 
> 
> Henry,
> The Web Services community doesn't seem to have a generally 
> accepted way to bill users for using Web Services.
> 

Trusted intermediaries are also being considered ("web services
network"):
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-netwrk.html
?dwzone=webservices

We could create an OSP-like protocol with WSDL and SOAP, of course. Do
we really need the level of flexibility these tools provide? I expect a
UDDI/WSDL/SOAP implementation to be at least as complex as SIP itself.
Even if it is already included in a OS, it consumes precious memory and
CPU resources in my cheap or mobile end device.

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH