Subject: [Sipping] Mapping conferencing drafts to levin-sipping-conferencing-req..-01

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:08:11 -0400

Hi all,
In the past (and present) there has been quite a bit of confusion on what 
drafts to follow for sip conferences and the direction forward.
Ofcourse, this all may be clear withing the SIP design group working on it 
->so please humor others for trying to make sense of it all :-)

According to the minutes of SIP WG Interim meet in May 6 2002, there seems 
to be some sort of direction that cc-framework and
conference-models drafts will be used as a base for defining further work.

To me the hierarchy as of now looks like:

a) cc-framework-01 and conferencing-models-01 defines high level concepts 
of various SIP conferencing models
        a.1) Orit's sipping-conferencing-req..-01 focusses on a focussed 
star shaped conference (which is a subset of above)
        and would form the base for requirements for a centralized 
conference server implementation .

Question: what is the priority of the design team to work on similar req. 
docs for other conferencing models ?
[personal: my main interest is in this star shaped model, so the question 
is just curiosity, thats all :-) ]

Before I proceed, I have some general questions:

draft-wu-sipping-floor-control-01.txt: Is this an active draft that is 
being worked on (expires this Oct )
draft-levin-sip-for-video-01.txt: Is this an active draft that is being 
worked on
draft-koskelainen-sipping-conf-requirements-00.txt:  How does this fit in 
?
draft-even-sipping-conference-scenarios-00.txt:  How does this fit in ? 
Should this not be merged with cc-models ?

In addition, certain XML schemas for media control seem to be addressed in 
MMUSIC. Besides the XML schema
for Media control draft posted in the SIP List yesterday, could someone 
let me know if there are other drafts
that are being actively used by the design team ?

Now, with respect to Orit's reqts for the star conference, I am trying to 
understand various drafts that are being worked on 
that help addressing various requirement categories. 

What I have done below is listed each category of reqt and the drafts I 
know of today that address some parts of it 
I would request that the knowledgeable please correct me on my 
understanding of the status/drafts:

General Conference Discovery:
===========================
        a) It can be manually "discovered" (SRV,  provisioning,  etc) - no 
specific drafts needed
        b)  RFC  3087 (Control of Service Context  using SIP R-URI)

        not yet addressed/ open :
        ---------------------------------------
        a) No specific drafts on specific conference discovery. 3087 may 
help in organizations "standardizing" conference server ids
             within their domain,  hence helping in auto-discovery
        b) No specific drafts on conference-capability-discovery 
.conference-package draft seems to provide packages for few or all user
            status in a conference, not capabilities of a conference 
server in general (eg, type of models it can host, access restrictions, 
etc etc)

Particular Conference Location and Information Discovery:
=================================================
 
        a) Again, RFC 3087 helps in part with this
        b) So does SRV records for conference locators
        c) draft-ietf-sipping-cc-framework-01.txt also discusses locating 
servers in it
 
        not yet addressed:
        -----------------------------
        a) No specific drafts on conference-capability-discovery 
(conference-package draft) seems to provide packages for user
            status in a conference, not capabilities of a conference 
server in genera (eg, type of models it can host, access restrictions, etc 
etc)
        b) Conference state - again, conference-package seems to define 
schemas where one user can discover conference state of another
            user or all users in the conference. But does this address 
CFND-3 which talks about the state of the "conference" and not of specific 
user?

        [ Actually  CFND-2 and CAPD-3 seem similar requirements ]

Basic Conferencing Requirements
=============================
        a) I would think most of these would be met by call flow documents 
that base flows on how other requirements
        in other sections of the draft are implememted.

        b) join-and-fork which addressed this space has been deleted - I 
assume the design team is soon going
            to belt out new docs. (slurp ! slurp ! :-p )

        c) draft-ietf-sipping-cc-framework-01.txt   addresses call flows 
for some of these requirements
        d) draft-...-conferencing-models-01 also lists various scenarios

        However, certain procedures that need undertstanding are:

        a.1) DOUT-1: A means MUST be defined for a conference host to 
invite a User Agent to one of its active conferences 
                Question: A wants focus to invite X in a call. focus will 
invite X only if it is an authenticated user. But focus needs
               to send an INVITE (not the other way around). How does one 
address this ?

Conference Member Privacy
=========================
        a) Is this kind of privacy better covered in the XML schema of 
conference-state of user agents ? In which case
             conference-package and optionally dialog-package can be 
extended ?
        b) if not above, can this be handled in any way by "sip" privacy 
drafts ? [ havent thought abt this - its a wild shot ]

Conference State Dissemination
===========================
        a) draft-conference-package 
        Open Issue:
        a) I would assume the above draft would also cover schemas for 
notification of join/leave a conference ? [ does it already - i did 
        not find it in my first read ]

On-Demand  Dissemination
==========================
        a) Again, conference-package seems to be the only draft in this 
space.  I would expect this draft be extended
        or new derivates be written to cater to all the ODD requirements. 
Is this assumption correct ?

Miscellaneous Requirements
============================
a) Some of these may well be implementation details (like failover on one 
server breaking down etc).
b) Some others like transfer etc. may again happen by basic primitives 
explained in a call-flows draft.
c) I am not sure if any specific drafts address this.

Access Control List
==================
a) Not aware of any existing drafts in this space yet

Floor Control
============

a) Only draft I know of in this space is wu-sipping-floor-control-01 
(which expires this month)
Open Issue:
a) What other work if any is ongoing for these reqts ?

Beyond Managing a single SIP Conference
=====================================
a) Again, only conferencing-models-01.txt touches on this briefly. No 
other drafts that I know of 
b) [personal: I dont care much abt this right now :-^ ]

regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems
11717 Exploration Lane, Germantown MD 20876
(O): 301-212-7860        (M): 240-997-0066
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP