Subject: [Sipping] Q.931 and SIP-T

From: Juan Luis Esteban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:38:17 +0100

Is there any work in progress regarding Q.931-SIP Interworking ?.
Since ISUP-SIP interworking has been addressed, is there any reason for
which QSIG and DSS1 interworking has not been addressed ?.
I would think that since Q.931 is an asymmetrical protocol, its interworking
with SIP is not as straightforward as ISUP. Nevertheless, mapping at the
message level is still possible. At a first glance, messages such as Call
proceeding and Connect Ack could be generated locally, it would be
unnecessary to encapsulate them in SIP. Different behaviours should be also
taken into account depending on whether the PRI Gateway is User or
Network...

In practice, Tier 2 and 3 service providers have been deploying low density
PRI gateways where possible due to lower costs than SS7 Gateways, even in
associated signalling scenarios. 

Thanks,

Juan Luis Esteban
Capcom International

[email-masked]
Tel.: +34 91 217 00 04
Fax: +34 91 217 00 19

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Ranjith Mukundan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:49:43 +0530

you may want to chk the archive when it was discussed previously - may be about
an year back. you can chk for msgs before and after this one:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sipping/current/msg00240.html

we did have some off-list discussions - it remained inconclusive though...

- ranjith..