Subject: [Sipping] notify timeout behavior

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:14:00 +0300

i have been playing with presence on a gprs terminal.  due to the nature
of gprs network, quite a few packets get lost.  this means that also
notifys or oks to them may easily get lost.  according to RFC 3265:

   If the NOTIFY request fails (as defined above) due to a timeout
   condition, and the subscription was installed using a soft-state
   mechanism (such as SUBSCRIBE), the notifier SHOULD remove the
   subscription.

this doesn't make much sense to me, since removing the subscription and
then trying to reestablish it will create even more network traffic than
just re-sending of the notify request.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:42:12 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

>notifys or oks to them may easily get lost.
>
You're saying that you are losing 11 UDP packets in a row over a 
30-second interval, but still somehow consider yourself connected to the 
network?

That seems implausible. At very least, it stretches the definition of 
the word "connected" beyond any scope that I have previously been aware of.

/a

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:43:47 -0700

Hi Juha,

Just to clarify, the section you quoted refers to the NOTIFY 
transaction as opposed to a single NOTIFY datagram. If most of your 
retransmissions are failing, perhaps you should adjust (lengthen) the 
T1 timer.  Then it would be more likely that each retransmitted NOTIFY 
receives a response.

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:09:18 +0300

Rohan,

But the problem is that T1 is implemented by the notifier, not by the
wireless terminal.

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:31:57 -0700

Gonzalo,

Of course, but a notifier that frequently get subscriptions from 
wireless devices can set T1 larger globally or on a per subscription 
basis.

thanks,
-rohan