Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comments on tel:uri

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:28:30 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2002 9:34:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > 
> > In the 3rd example, it is unknown what the phrase "IBM tie line 
> > numbering system" refers to. In fact, the example seems to be one of a 
> > private network with its own internal numbering system which is 
> > different from the "public" E.164 numbering, although the extension 
> > numbers (final 4 digits) are often the same. It is not a "tie-line" 
> system.
> 
> Any IBMers on the list should speak up. My understanding is that IBM has 
> internal numbers ("tie line" is the name you find on their business 
> cards) have nothing to do with their externally-reachable numbers.
> 
> 

[MAP] Many large organizations have internal numbering systems, which often 
have the same structure as "public" numbers (7 digits in the US). DISA has 
one, in fact, they are so big they have area "codes", but these systems are 
not called "tie-lines". These internal uniform numbering plans replace the 
old systems, typically referred to as "tie-line systems" in which the 
originator had to dial a sequence of "tie-line" access numbers, typically 1 
or 2 digit numbers each, to step from system to system to get to the 
destination. Those type networks were a pain, and I suspect are virtually 
gone.

The point is, we should not refer to the mechanism used ("tie-lines" or 
whatever), only the numbering system.

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:30:04 -0400

> [MAP] Many large organizations have internal numbering systems, which 
> often have the same structure as "public" numbers (7 digits in the US). 
> DISA has one, in fact, they are so big they have area "codes", but these 
> systems are not called "tie-lines". These internal uniform numbering 
> plans replace the old systems, typically referred to as "tie-line 
> systems" in which the originator had to dial a sequence of "tie-line" 
> access numbers, typically 1 or 2 digit numbers each, to step from system 
> to system to get to the destination. Those type networks were a pain, 
> and I suspect are virtually gone.

This is just an example, using the term that's quite common: See 
http://www.ieg.ibm.com/contact_us.2002.html for an official and recent 
IBM reference.

> Artel

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP