Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comments on sos draft -03 (URI)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:24:08 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2003 9:40:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> In other words, if a hotel in Europe 
> doesn't have room 911, it should allow this as an emergency number, to 
> accomodate the US or Canadian traveler.
> 

No, this is not correct. I doubt that any European regulatory body would 
accept this. If 911 is not assigned in the local environment, the call must 
go to "intercept".

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:30:42 -0500

I gather you're claiming that 3GPP is violating European telecom rules, 
given that its SIM is recognizing 911 (and other non-local emergency 
numbers)?

> accept this. If 911 is not assigned in the local environment, the call 
> must go to "intercept".
> 
> Mike Pierce
> Artel

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:32:54 -0500

> accept this. If 911 is not assigned in the local environment, the call 

It doesn't. Logically speaking, this is nothing but a local (private) 
emergency number. As noted by others, lots of companies have local 
emergency numbers (911 and 3333 were mentioned). As far as I know, 
nobody complains if that local emergency number dials the police 
department. Please tell me which rule is being violated here?