Subject: [Sipping] SIP <-> XMPP

From: "PRATI,LUCA (HP-Italy,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:13:47 +0100

Hi Folks,
how would you compare SIP/SIMPLE with XMPP from an Instant
Messaging/Presence Management perspective if this is a subject you've
tackled already? 
No reference to XMPP in the huge (269 pages) RFC 3261 on SIP... and it looks
that no reference to SIP in the XMPP drafts. 
Thanks and kind regards,
Luca

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 2003 10:34:22 -0600

> that no reference to SIP in the XMPP drafts. 

SCOPE ALERT: This probably belongs in the SIMPLE or XMPP working groups.

Historically speaking, XMPP was not on the radar screen of the IETF when
3261 was published. 

I believe there is a SIMPLE draft dealing with using SIP to set up an
XMPP session for messaging.

-- 
Dean Willis <[email-masked]>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:47:38 -0600 (CST)

> Historically speaking, XMPP was not on the radar screen of the IETF when

True, so we would not expect mention of XMPP in 3261.

> XMPP session for messaging.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sparks-simple-jabber-sessions-00.txt

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.php

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:41:57 -0500

One final note.

Like many technologies, there are ways they can work together, and ways 
they overlap in functionality. The draft below explains ways in which 
SIP can be used to set up XMPP session, and in that way, they are 
complementary.  In other ways, there is overlap. XMPP has its own 
presence mechanism, as does SIP (the SIMPLE specs). SIP can also do IM 
using the page mode messaging (rfc 3428) which does not require XMPP.

I won't attempt to go into a pro/con analysis here, but just want to 
make sure the various angles of the relationship are understood.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com