Subject: [Sipping] Comments: I-D ACTION:draft-miller-sip-tcap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:13:02 +0530

Hi ,

I have a fundamental question on the the usage of SIP for transporting TCAP
messages.

If I understand correctly the figure 1 in the draft, is  something like the
following:

SIP Element                                 Signaling Gateway
SS7 Node

TCAP applications
PSTN Services
TCAP
TCAP
SIP---------------------IP--------------SIP||SS7--------------SS7----------
-----SS7

Here a TCAP peer will be running on the SIP Element and will use SIP to
exchange TCAP
messages with peers(i.e other TCAPs) in the PSTN network.

However, SIGTRAN protocols defined also by the SIGTRAN Working group of the
 IETF have been
especially designed for transporting Trunk/Access signaling over IP.

So, could one not better(IMO) accomplish this  by the following
configuration
using SIGTRAN?

SIP Element                             Signaling Gateway
                                   PSTN Node

TCAP applications

             PSTN Services
TCAP

                                      TCAP
SIGTRAN---------IP-------------SIGTRAN||SS7 ----------------SS7--------SS7
(SUA over SCTP)                  (SUA over SCTP)

The difference of course is that in this case the SIP Element and the
Signaling Gateway
will have to (also) support SIGTRAN.
They could continue to support SIP as well.

Or am i missing something?

thanks
harsh

This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:08:55 +0530

sorry,text corrected in the following mail.

[email-masked] on 01/10/2003 11:13:02 AM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Harsh Bhondwe/HSSBLR)

Subject:  [Sipping] Comments: I-D ACTION:draft-miller-sip-tcap-00.txt

Hi ,

I have a fundamental question on the the usage of SIP for
transporting TCAP messages.

If I understand correctly the figure 1 in the draft, is
something like the following:

SIP Element           Signaling Gateway         SS7 Node

TCAP applications                               PSTN Services
TCAP                                            TCAP
SIP--------IP----------SIP||SS7--------SS7------SS7

Here a TCAP peer will be running on the SIP Element and will
use SIP to exchange TCAP messages with peers(i.e other TCAPs)
in the PSTN network.

However, SIGTRAN protocols defined also by the SIGTRAN
Working group of the  IETF have been especially designed
for transporting Trunk/Access signaling over IP.

So, could one not better accomplish this  by the
following configuration using SIGTRAN?

SIP Element                   Signaling Gateway        PSTN Node

TCAP applications                                   PSTN Services
TCAP                                                   TCAP
SIGTRAN---------IP-------------SIGTRAN||SS7 ---SS7-----SS7
(SUA over SCTP)                (SUA over SCTP)

The difference of course is that in this case the SIP
Element and the Signaling Gateway will have to (also)
support SIGTRAN.They could continue to support SIP as well.

thanks
harsh