Subject: [Sipping] History information in provisional responses

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:31:05 +0000

Mary and others,

In the solution draft, nothing is said about inclusion of history
information in provisional responses. I am thinking in particular of 180.
This might be of benefit to a human originator in particular.

Although in many cases a proxy will retarget a request fairly quickly (e.g.,
if the target user has moved or is busy), it may be programmed to retarget
only after alerting the target user for a certain time. If successful the
retarget will result in a 180 response from the retargeted-to user and
hopefully eventually a 200 response. This means the UAC could receive two
(or more) 180 responses. If the second and subsequent 180 responses were to
contain history information, this would give the originator an explanation
of what is happening and may persuade the originator to allow the request to
continue longer in order to give the retargeted-to user time to answer.

Another possible advantage is that on seeing history information in a 180
the originator might decide not to establish a session with the
retargeted-to user and might cancel the request immediately without waiting
for answer.

What are your thoughts on history information in provisional responses?
Obviously it would need to be done in a way that does not compromise privacy
requirements.

Regards,

John

John Elwell
e-mail: mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:55:21 -0600

John,

As long as the original request from the user had a Supported header with
HistInfo, a UAS should be able to include History-Info in the appropriate
provisional responses. I'll clearly state that when discussing responses in
the sections of 2.3.

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elwell, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 2:31 AM
To: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH]; Watson, Mark [MOP:EP10:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: History information in provisional responses

Mary and others,

Regards,

John

John Elwell