Subject: [Sipping] difference between SIP and SIP-T

From: "Deb, Sunandita (Sunandita)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:39:24 -0500

Hi,

Can you please let me know the basic difference between SIP and SIP-T? Is
there any document describing the differences? My understanding is that SIP
works in the pure IP world but SIP-T will be able to interwork between TDM
and IP world and the SIP-T messages will have additional fields to include
the specific telephony parameters like calling party number, called party
number, originating line number etc.

Thanks,
Sunandita
(614) 860-6471 (w)
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:04:02 -0600

Sunandita asked:
> Can you please let me know the basic difference between SIP 
> and SIP-T? Is there any document describing the differences? 
> My understanding is that SIP works in the pure IP world but 
> SIP-T will be able to interwork between TDM and IP world and 
> the SIP-T messages will have additional fields to include the 
> specific telephony parameters like calling party number, 
> called party number, originating line number etc.

In short, SIP-T is "HOW to do telephony interworking with SIP", and is NOT a
separate protocol. The SIP-T work did not require any changes or extensions
to the SIP protocol.

Since I like analogies, imagine that useful tool "the standard slotted
screwdriver". One may use it to drive screws. One may also use it to open
paint cans. One may use it as a scraper, or a wood chisel, or a box-cutter,
a hook-remover, a hasp-pin, a back scratcher, or any number of other things.

SIP is, like a screwdriver, a versatile tool. SIP-T is instructions on how
to use that tool for a particular task: interworking SS7 systems.

--
Dean