Subject: RE: [Sipping] URIs for Gateways

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:25:18 -0500

> - I'm not sure of the advisability of adding caller name to 
> the tel uri. 
> If  you do it, I don't like that way. Would prefer a tel: 
> parameter, as in
>       tel:+14125551212;caller-name="Alice Toklas"
I don't see that it matters much at all.  I can deal with either

> 
> - I don't think the port should be a sip uri parameter. It is very 
> telephony oriented, so I think it is better as a tel: uri parameter.
It's often the case that routing decisions on which gateway gets a
call is made prior to the next-to-last proxy.  To make that work, you
have to rewrite the Request-URI to a form of phonenumber@gateway
so that subsequent proxies route correctly.  Therefore, I think you
need the parameter in both

Brian 
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 10:12:40 -0500

> need the parameter in both

Why does that change anything? All the parameters of a tel uri are 
mapped to parameters in the user part of a sip uri with user=phone. So 
the following sequence of addresses should be fine while transiting a 
series of proxies:

	tel:+16025551212
	sip:[email-masked];user=phone
	sip:+16025551212;port=[email-masked];user=phone

Paul