Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: Meaning of status codes

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:42:05 -0600

<JFP>I also remain a little unsure what the SDP in 180 is meant to
accomplish.</JFP>

I'll provide a strawman.

E.180 defines a "Ringing Tone" to be played to a caller for ringback.

E.180 also defines a "Caller Waiting Tone", which is typically a
concatenation of a ringback tone and a call-waiting tone (for most
locales). It lets the caller know that the called party is on another
call, but is being alerted nonetheless.

(Although not in widespread use for US landline exchanges, I have heard
such a tone when calling certain PBXes and mobile phones).

Arguably, a "180 Ringing" with media, then, has the ability to provide
this additional bit of information to the caller -- so it's not completely
valueless.

/a

(I'm not going to even mention how grateful I am that I've had considerate 
co-workers who, upon calling my GSM phone and hearing, say, a Spanish
ringback tone have thought better of disturbing me at 3 in the morning and
promptly hung up).
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "James Undery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:54:27 -0000

Hmm "Caller Waiting Tone" shouldn't this be 182 Queued, but then again I've no idea about E.180

James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adam Roach [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 02 January 2003 23:42
> To: 'Peterson, Jon'; 'Francois Audet'
> Cc: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: Meaning of status codes
> 
>