Subject: RE: [Sipping] Do Phones Have Dial Plans, or do Proxies map? was RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-schulzrinne-sipping-sos-04.txt

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:25:40 -0600

> - Recognizing patterns so that one can keep the old 
> "no-need-to-hit-dial" user interface.

AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH!!! AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH!!! AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!

No!

Cell phones have sufficiently trained the public that it's
okay to hit something like "OK" or "YES" or "DIAL" or "ENTER"
after a phone number. It makes life so much easier for user
interface designers and users alike. For the love of all that
is good, let's not encourage backsliding.

/a
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:06:48 -0500

In case there's doubt: I was not suggesting that we do this. I was 
trying to find out from Brian what he meant, since the two problem have 
very different solution sets. The 'abbreviated dialing' case requires 
nothing except a suitable URI scheme and the translation services of an 
outbound proxy.

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:32:22 -0800

I'd really love to agree with you but I suspect that several vendor's
marketing departments will consider it a "feature" not to have to hit send.
They will continue to use regular expressions of the MGCP digit map kind
combined with timers to decide when to send the INVITE.

When the phone sends and INVITE is an orthogonal issue from if the INVITE
contains the dialed digits or an E.164 number. When designing systems it
sure would be easier if every phone had a single globally unique number but
this is simply not plausible because the PSTN address space has been
constructed to be a scarce, and thus somewhat expense, resource. I still
think it should be possible, and well worth while, to figure out some common
normalized form that can represent E.164 number and phones without an E.164
number. It may be nothing more than a number with a + before it is an E.164
number and other numbers are a digit string that is interpreted purely in a
context that is known to the proxy that controls the domain of the AOR of
the UAC.

Cullen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Adam Roach
> Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:26 AM
> To: 'Henning Schulzrinne'; Rosen, Brian
> Cc: 'Paul Kyzivat'; [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [Sipping] Do Phones Have Dial Plans, or do Proxies map? was
> RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-schulzrinne-sipping-sos-04.txt
>
>