Subject: [Sipping] RFC3398: Section 11.1 Reset messages

From: Sumit Garg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:17:40 -0500

Hi all,
Section 11.1 of RFC3398 says:
"
11.1 Reset messages

   Upon reception of an RSC message for a circuit currently being used
   by the gateway for a call, the call MUST be released immediately
   (this typically results from a serious maintenance condition).  RSC
   MUST be answered with an RLC after resetting the circuit in the
   gateway.  Group reset (GRS) messages which target a range of circuits
   are answered with a Circuit Group Reset ACK Message (GRA) after
   resetting all the circuits affected by the message.

   The gateways SHOULD behave as if a REL had been received in order to
   release the dialog on the SIP side.  A BYE or a CANCEL are sent
   depending of the status of the call.  See the procedures in Section
   10."

I have some confusion regarding the second paragraph.
Shouldn't it have just the first line.
The second line of the paragraph is incomplete and misleading.
It does not take into consideration the RSC on a circuit for
a Net to Phone call case before the call has been setup.

I think it should say "A BYE, CANCEL or Final Response (say 5xx) are sent
   depending of the status of the call."

-Sumit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Sumit Garg 
Aastra Telecom US
8 Federal Street 
Billerica, MA 01821 
978-436-4244
email: <<mailto:[email-masked]>> 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
 <<Sumit Garg.vcf>>