Subject: RE: [Sipping] Persistent Connections

From: "Jain, Rajnish (Rajnish)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:22:14 -0500

In addition, one option we had considered for the hint/forced 
requirement for section 8.1 was something like the following:

via-connection = "soft-persistent"  
via-connection = "hard-persistent" 

where, 'soft' implies a hint, whereas, 'hard' implies a forced 
request.

Thanks,
Rajnish

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay K. Gurbani [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 12:40 PM
To: Gonzalo Camarillo
Cc: [email-masked]; sipping
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Persistent Connections

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> What would be the difference between the persistent Via parameter
> proposed in the draft below (Section 8.1) and the Alias Via parameter
> proposed in the connection reuse draft? Does it solve the hint/forced
> dilema in any way?

Gonzalo:

Both the connect-reuse I-D and persistent-connection I-D allow the
connection to be used for requests initiated in either directions.
However, the persistent-connection I-D explicitly allows the socket
to be left in a connected state for future sessions (of course,
either peer should be prepared for the socket being closed by due to 
administrative reasons -- TLS certificate expiry, scheduled downtime --
or otherwise (system reboot or peer crash).

Furthermore, the connect-reuse I-D allows for NAT-traversal as does
the persistent-connection I-D.  But depending on which of the three
implementation options are chosen, it can also serve as a negotiation
mechanism to provide a hint/forced paradigm.

> Regarding the new transport token proposed in Section 8.3, the current
> trend is not to define new transport tokens. 

Understood.

Thanks.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP