Subject: [Sipping] Proposal for Digit Suppression

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:17:49 -0500

OK, I'm convinced.  I'm willing to put out a chain saw.  If you are in a well-defined, controlled environment (e.g., Steve Fisher's example), then one can quickly cut down a big tree.  However, if you are not in a well-defined environment, you can quickly cut off your own foot.

I don't see inter-digit timing working out (Tom's suggestion, <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sipping/current/msg04172.html>), as it will always be wrong and will still most likely result in the ** behaviour described in the draft for the general case.

Rather than suppressing on match, how about suppressing anything that starts the match?  Would that have problems in the controlled environments?  E.g., the *T would also get suppressed, and * alone or *[~T] would get buffered and timed out?
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Steve Fisher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:01:37 -0500

If I understand your suggestion correctly, my preference would be
"suppress on match", i.e. only suppress after a set of digits has been
pressed to indicate that the app should have the focus. I would think
that buffering "*" would also result in the ** behavior described in the
draft, wouldn't it? Even in controlled environments, callers are
frequently still talking to automated systems that prompt for keypresses
such as "*".

Steve Fisher
Division Manager
AT&T Labs

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Eric Burger
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 8:18 PM
To: Sipping (E-mail)
Subject: [Sipping] Proposal for Digit Suppression

OK, I'm convinced.  I'm willing to put out a chain saw.  If you are in a
well-defined, controlled environment (e.g., Steve Fisher's example),
then one can quickly cut down a big tree.  However, if you are not in a
well-defined environment, you can quickly cut off your own foot.

I don't see inter-digit timing working out (Tom's suggestion,
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sipping/current/msg041
72.html>), as it will always be wrong and will still most likely result
in the ** behaviour described in the draft for the general case.

Rather than suppressing on match, how about suppressing anything that
starts the match?  Would that have problems in the controlled
environments?  E.g., the *T would also get suppressed, and * alone or
*[~T] would get buffered and timed out?
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP