Subject: Re: [Sipping] conf: comments on draft-rosenberg-sipping-conferenc ing-framework-01

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:09:13 -0400

Marjou Xavier wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Something is not clear to me : is CPCP really mandatory to perform
> something as "simple" as calling many recipients via a focus (adhoc
> conference).

In an ad-hoc conference, the focus resides with one of the endpoints. 
Therefore, an internal interface can be used to instruct the focus to 
call out to additional users. So, in the case of ad-hoc, something as 
"simple" as mass invitation does not require CPCP.

With a centralized conference server, a client can use a series of REFER 
requests to bring new users into the conference. This is described in 
the document as a SIP mecahnism for adding users. However, for a large 
number of invitations, this is really inefficient, and thus a real 
control protocol like CPCP is needed.

> In my opinion, it should be as simple as sending an
> e-mail to multiple recipients (Of course, having everybody in the
> "To" header is not possible in SIP, but having another header for
> giving the list of recipients whould be very nice).

Its not as simple as that. How would you report the results of that back 
to the sender?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Marjou Xavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:57:43 +0200

>> control protocol like CPCP is needed.

Is a CPCP body inside a SIP INVITE acceptable ? 
(I would like to avoid an additional round-trip delay for a CPCP request before the SIP request)

Then we would also have an intermediate solution for those who want that "CPCP is SIP" : CPCP would be "inside" SIP (like SDP)

> Its not as simple as that. How would you report the results of that back 

For me, the conference package event with SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY would perform the job