Subject: [Sipping] Conferencing Framework open issue: scope of data which is manipulated by CPCP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:24:03 -0400

Eric raised an issue in his comments on conf-fw, to which I replied:

>> Also, w.r.t. section 5.8.2, I would really hope that CPCP is SIP:
>> I'm really hesitant to have to implement all the same protocol
>> actions with two different protocols "just because."  Let's pick
>> one and run with it.
> 
> 
> See above discussion on why these are just not the same. In the case
> of conference participants, you will basically learn them as the
> result of a full-state update generated by a subscription to the
> conference state.  CPCP, being a data transaction protocol, would
> also allow you to directly query for the list. Just because there is
> this sliver of overlap does not mean that they are the same protocol.
> 

My response is wrong. In the current design, you cannot use CPCP to 
access any of the focus state, such as the current participant list. It 
is strictly viewed as a protocol for manipulated the conference POLICY.

This leads to the question - is this sensible? On one hand, one would 
expect that a protocol for accessing state of the conference should give 
you access to ALL of the state, not just the subset which is defined as 
policy. On the other hand, as Eric points out, conference policy and 
conference state are very different. Indeed, they may likely reside in 
entirely different servers in the network. One can imagine using an 
external DB to hold the policy, whereas focus state is in-memory 
soft-state. Thus, using the same protocol to access them may be 
complicated to support.

What do people think about this issue?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP