Subject: [Sipping] smartcards and SIP, was: FYI: RADIUS & SIP

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:16:16 +0200

Michael,

you wrote:
> The way GSM authentication works is that the Authentication Center produces 
> "triplets" (tuples of precomputed challenge, matching response and session 
> key) for a given IMSI.
I've been told that getting IMSIs without having a GSM account is not that easy.
There seem to be regulatory issues and political pressure from mobile operators,
at least in some European countries. Do you know details about this?

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:17:19 -0400

For what it's worth:

A number of U.S. Federal Agencies are issuing smart-cards for 
authentication of users on PCs and similar devices.  For some (i.e. 
military ID-smart-cards) there are serious consequences if they leave that 
lying around.

Smart card readers can connect through USB ports.

GSM triplets: this may be outdated technology.  Try quintuplets.

Mike

At 08:56 AM 8/1/2003 +0200, Beck01, Wolfgang wrote:

>Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:
> > Also, while SIM cards work ok when kept in the cell phone, the existing
> > card mechanics don't seem to work well if you want to, say, quickly use
> > the phone in the meeting room. Would you need to remove and insert the
> > SIM card each time? "Oops, I left the card in my office phone, I can't
> > make a call from home right now."
>"Oops, i forgot to remove my home identity from my office phone. Now my
>co-worker will be disturbed by aunt Hillary's phone calls."
>
>Seriously, there are problems with smartcards: you will need to have one
>for every phone you want to use in parallel. The usage is different, too.
>A cell phone is a personal item and there is no need to change SIM cards
>frequently. If people 'personalize' stationary SIP phones, this would be
>different. In this case, a credit card sized SIM card would be better
>than the thumbnail-sized variety. With WiFi SIP phones, the need to
>change SIM cars would go away.
>
>There are problems with soft clients, too. Some companies are using
>smartcards instead of login passwords. How many smartcard readers
>fit into a laptop?
>
>--
>Wolfgang Beck
>T-Systems Nova GmbH
>