Subject: AW: AW: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP

From: "Liess, Laura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:17:20 +0200

What about the accounting draft draft-schulzrinne-accounting-sip-01.txt? Any reason for not working on it? 
Laura 

>-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
>Von: Jiri Kuthan [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Gesendet: Dienstag, 5. August 2003 18:00
>An: Jonathan Rosenberg; Bernard Aboba
>Cc: Liess, Laura; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Dumler,
>Alexander; Wolff, Christian
>Betreff: Re: AW: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP
>
>
>Thanks, I very much agree; we have received identical feedback so far.
>
>-jiri
>
>At 08:12 PM 7/29/2003, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>>I know of several carriers with RADIUS infrastructures that 
>want to use them to support SIP. They are currently using 
>expired I-Ds and proprietary attributes. As a result, I would 
>strongly advocate work on standardizing RADIUS usage with SIP.
>>
>>There are two areas of work that I see a need for:
>>
>>1. Digest authentication. The sterman draft 
>(http://www.freeradius.org/radiusd/doc/rfc/draft-sterman-aaa-si
>p-00.txt) is used quite a bit, it seems. It would be nice to 
>standardize on this.
>>
>>2. Prepaid calling. Many folks are using vendor proprietary 
>radius extensiosn to support prepaid calling. It would be nice 
>to bring those  forward and standardize on them.
>>
>>-Jonathan R.
>>
>>Bernard Aboba wrote:
>>
>>>Is there some particular set of draft(s) that you are 
>advocating work on?
>>>On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Liess, Laura wrote:
>>>
>>>>I think most carriers currently use some kind of RADIUS 
>platform to do user authentication and they would like to 
>reuse it in the future to authenticate their SIP customers.
>>>>My colleagues who are responsible for the RADIUS Platform 
>of the Deutsche Telekom (CC)are currently on vacation so I 
>could not check with them now about how to answer this mail, 
>but we already talked about this issue a number of times and 
>my strong opinion is that "yes, Deutsche Telekom cares a lot 
>about SIP and RADIUS". Reusing the existing RADIUS platform 
>for SIP authentication is a strong requirement for the 
>development of SIP services within the Deutsche Telekom.
>>>>
>>>>Laura (T-Systems/Deutsche Telekom Group)
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
>>>This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
>>>Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
>>>Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>>
>>-- 
>>Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
>>Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
>>dynamicsoft
>>[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
>>http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
>>http://www.dynamicsoft.com
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
>>This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
>>Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
>>Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 12:56:40 -0500

> What about the accounting draft draft-schulzrinne-accounting-sip-01.txt? Any reason for not working on it? 

Accounting over a non-reliable transport protocol is a Very Hard
Problem. That's one of the reaons for DIAMETER.

--
Dean

---

From: Jiri Kuthan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 20:02:54 +0200

>Problem. That's one of the reaons for DIAMETER.

Still less hard than accounting over a protocol which does not exist.
We actually developed some DIAMETER code but the problem is it is
not running anywhere.

-jiri

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:10:01 -0500

> Still less hard than accounting over a protocol which does not exist.

I agree. Also, I will keep reminding folks there are web services out there.

Thanks, Henry

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Jiri Kuthan
> Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 1:03 PM
> To: Dean Willis; Liess, Laura
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; Dumler, Alexander; Wolff, Christian
> Subject: Re: AW: AW: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP
> 
> >> What about the accounting draft draft-schulzrinne-accounting-sip-
> 01.txt? Any reason for not working on it?
> >> Laura
> >