Subject: [Sipping] Overlap Dialing

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:12:34 -0500

fluffy writes:

> Another scenario similar to this happens when the PSTN GW is 
> a SIP GW that may support 2833 but it is doing overlap dialing
> and uses KPML to tell the UA to keep sending it more digits
> before media is set up.

*cringe*

That reminds me: the overlap dialing specification should be
popping out as an RFC any moment now. We just finished auth48.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:39:11 -0400

At 11:06 AM 8/26/2003 +0530, Christian Stredicke wrote:

>Hi All,

Christian I think this should end the issue. The "out of box" experience 
with SIP phones does not have to replicate that of the land line service 
..the most compelling argument for a Dial button on SIP phones is D.

>the feedback which I received so far on overlap dialling was pretty
>clear: There will be no overlap dialling support for SIP.
>
>Arguments:
>
>A. ENUM does not support overlap dialling. There are security concerns
>on who will own the nodes of incomplete numbers and it was also reported
>that the overhead for the node lookup is too much.

Right we had this argument at the ENUM WG in Vienna.

>B. Countries with fixed-length numbers (like USA) can have a dial plan
>on the phone. Other countries always need to press the dial button
>except for cases where extension numbers are dialled. People calling
>from the US have to press a dial key (or #) after dialling a non-US
>number. That is accepted by the customers.
>
>C. The lack of support of 484 responses on PSTN gateways makes overlap
>dialling unusable anyway. A SIP extension would be necessary, but does
>not exist at this time and the probability that we reach consensus on
>such an extension in time is minimal.
>
>D. "Grandma" is not in the customer focus any more. "Grandchildren" are
>used to cell phones and press the dial button after making up their
>minds on which person to call.
>
>E. Phones without display will not be sold in large numbers any more. If
>vendors should decide to make SIP phones without display, they must
>include a dial button (timeout of 5 seconds to start dialling is not
>feasible as this makes printed telephone book lookup impossible).

LED's are cheep..

>Am I right? I this is so, we would like to stop efforts on implementing
>this in out endpoints.
>

Please...

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:46:48 -0700

Well there is RFC 3578.

On 8/25/03 22:36, "Christian Stredicke" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Best,
> Christian

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:20:14 +0300

Christian,

what you are saying is in line with the recently published RFC 3578. 
That RFC recommends that gateways tranforms everything to en-bloc, and 
that the overlap procedures defined in the document should be used only 
as a last resort. That is, only if the gateway *must* meet some 
particular requirements that would be impossible to meet without using them.

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo