Subject: [Sipping] smartcards and SIP, was: FYI: RADIUS & SIP

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:56:43 +0200

Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:
> Also, while SIM cards work ok when kept in the cell phone, the existing 
> card mechanics don't seem to work well if you want to, say, quickly use 
> the phone in the meeting room. Would you need to remove and insert the 
> SIM card each time? "Oops, I left the card in my office phone, I can't 
> make a call from home right now."
"Oops, i forgot to remove my home identity from my office phone. Now my
co-worker will be disturbed by aunt Hillary's phone calls."

Seriously, there are problems with smartcards: you will need to have one
for every phone you want to use in parallel. The usage is different, too.
A cell phone is a personal item and there is no need to change SIM cards
frequently. If people 'personalize' stationary SIP phones, this would be
different. In this case, a credit card sized SIM card would be better
than the thumbnail-sized variety. With WiFi SIP phones, the need to
change SIM cars would go away.

There are problems with soft clients, too. Some companies are using
smartcards instead of login passwords. How many smartcard readers
fit into a laptop?

--
Wolfgang Beck
T-Systems Nova GmbH 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP