Subject: [Sipping] Exploders anad ad-hoc lists

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:39:06 +0200

Folks,

we have just submitted three drafts about exploders and ad-hoc lists.

We have added more requirements to the following draft. The new 
requirements were mainly discussed in the SIMPLE mailing list.

http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/papers/draft-camarillo-sipping-exploders-01.txt

The following draft describes how to carry lists of URIs in SIP 
requests. It is not a finished draft. It is intended to trigger 
discussions on this topic to see whether this is a step the right direction.

http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/papers/draft-camarillo-sipping-uri-list-00.txt

The following draft defines a new method called EXPLODE. EXPLODE does 
the same as REFER. That is, it tells a UA to send a request somewhere. 
The differences are that EXPLODE accepts more than one destination 
(REFER carries a single Refer-To header field) and that EXPLODE does not 
establish implicit subscriptions of any type. This draft is also 
intended to trigger discussions within the WG.

http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/papers/draft-camarillo-sipping-explode-method-00.txt

Let's try to keep discussions about this topic in the SIPPING mailing 
list. I will forward this mail to the SIMPLE mailing list to let them know.

Comments are welcome,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:12:50 -0500

Gonzalo,

I like the concept, but I am troubled by passing the reference to the 
list as a sip/sips url parameter, for the following reasons:

- how does it get there? In your examples, you have the parameter
   in the request uri, but not in the To uri. Normally a UA would
   determine the destination, and put it in both To and request URIs.
   This implies some extra special casing.

- How does it stay there. If the address in the request uri is of
   an AoR, a proxy may replace it with a corresponding registered
   contact. If so, the reference to the list will be lost.

- logically the request is being addressed to the service, and the
   list is a parameter to the service and the particular method the
   service is being asked to perform. Embedding the list in the address
   of the service seems inappropriate.

I think there needs to be a better place to put the reference to the 
list. A new header would seem to be the logical answer.

Regarding draft-camarillo-sipping-exploders-solution-00:

You say the requester should subscribe to a url returned in the response 
to learn the outcome of the exploded requests. But that opens a time 
window when some status may lost. Do you have any thoughts on how to 
close that? (E.g. the first response to a subscription gives all the 
cumulative history of what has happened.)

There are a couple of references to an Explode-To header, but no 
explanation and no examples. It seems redundant to the list, unless it 
is intended as a way to convey the reference to the list.

	Paul