Subject: [Sipping] State machine in draft-ietf-sipping-dialog-package

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:13:45 -0800

I think the state machine is confusing and not very accurate from the point
of view of this draft. When I look at the state machines for real UA, I seem
some more states.

Starting -> in this state, the UA has not sent and INVITE yet but is doing
something like collecting digits and getting ready to send an INVITE. The
line is busy from an incoming call point of view.

Terminating-Local -> The UA has sent a BYE but not yet received a 200 for
it. 

Some additional states that might clarify things (and remove some strange
things in the package are )

Terminated-Remote -> The UA received a BYE and has sent a 200 but still has
state around for retransmissions and such.

Terminated-Error -> This includes the timeout error

Terminated-Replaced

We have to figure out how to deal with the state transition between
Terminated and Gone.

Gone -> This is not a state. At this point the UA has erased all state about
the dialog including the fact that the dialog ever existed.

State machines that support preconditions are more complex.

Should think about the structure of the scheme from a extension point of
view - can we subclass the right things? extend the right things?

I am confused on how to form the dialog-id

How refer-by works is not real clear

The identity with the display name parameter and URI separate is goofy.
Contrast this the Target definition which I like.

Agree that CSEQ sound scary.

Not sure how I request SDP or not.

typo in schema - identity type missing tns namespace

Sorry for the disconnected email but I think sorting out the state machine
would help sort out everything else in this draft.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP