Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comments on sip-voicemail-uri-01

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:16:13 -0500

Eric Burger wrote:
> Big question: why bother if we get everything from history-info?  I know, "it's easier on the UAS", but do we care?

I think the big difference is that it moves the responsibility for who 
decides. If you *want* the voicemail system to decide which mailbox to 
use, then history-info is a plausible mechanism for giving it all the 
raw data, and then letting it decide.

But if you want to let something else (e.g. a proxy) decide which 
mailbox (perhaps based on policy for the AOR rather than policy for the 
VM system) then some mechanism to explicitly tell the VM system your 
choice seems more appropriate.

I suppose the proxy could lie in the history-info, based on a 
presumption of what algorithm the VM system uses to choose the mailbox, 
but I certainly hope nobody goes that way.

	Paul

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP