Subject: [Sipping] SIP-T and BICC

From: "Jagdeep Walia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:17:56 +0000

Dear Aarti,
Since both have been developed to do the same job, the key to decide which 
one of them, really depends what your network looks like in actual pactice 
but Since the world is not always near to reality, the reason that would 
decide which protocol would be the mighty one standing test of time are, 
industry momemtum and hype generated. Its purely aesthetic than technical 
reasons since there are always ways how you put the point across.
I believe in case it is incumbent operator who has a a fixed network in 
place and would like to migrate to a NGN infrastructure today, then he 
choice of BICC would be more suitable since it is based/extension of SS7 (so 
that a signalling control is there for the call bearer transversing through 
theATM/ IP network). It is possible to transport BICC over TDM/ATM/IP 
networks. The benefit that the incumbent drives from using BICC is that all 
the services and application that are supported via SS7 in his existing 
circuit switching network, can also still be available through BICC. But as 
regards to this SIP is still a evolving protocol which has still to have all 
capabilities e.g regarding support of TCAP services. It is a evolving 
protocol and would take sometime before thinghs settle down.
SIP comes from IETF world where the protocol or standards are defines based 
on RFC which so as to say are bit open and loose when it comes to defining a 
certain procedure as it allows you to have flexibility and there could be 
different RFC which could coexist, so sometime the strenght of being open 
and flexible as we have come to understand is the Buzz word in todays 
telecom industry creates problem when we set out to interoperate. Thats 
quite evident from the fact that eventhough there had been IP router for so 
long, the interoperability for feature support between them took so long.
So these things can be avoided in case BICC is used since it comes from 
ITU-T which truly defines standards and they are rigid to more extent when 
it comes down to implementing certain capabilities and functionalities.
I see SIP-t presently could be good for some new operators who start with 
services that are supported via SIP-T. SIP-t surely is nearer to the concept 
of IP and would eventually be existing in most networks in future but the 
only thing is when does it get stabalised and a more rigid and defined 
protocol.
ITU-T started work in the past on BICC CS3 which finally focussed on the 
defining a frame work for interworking between SIP and BICC/ISUP based 
network. In a recent SG11 meeting held in Geneva from September 1- September 
12, ITU-T has already finalised the receommendation which existed as Q 
1912.SIP and has become a recommendation called Q 1912.5.

Regards
jw

Jagdeep Walia
Telecommunication Engineer
Email: [email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________
Contact brides & grooms FREE! http://www.shaadi.com/ptnr.php?ptnr=hmltag 
Only on www.shaadi.com. Register now!

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP