Subject: [Sipping] draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:26:29 -0800

Why not just use MGCP instead of SIP if you want to do this. It will work
much better. 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: 황진경 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:17:23 +0900

Thank you for the question.

Your question is why network-based midcall is needed with SIP.

My answer is that
Since service components in the next gen IP network are based on SIP,
the delivery of midcall information should be through SIP method.

Simple INFO (from the SIP phone or from the MGC(by translation)) works very well,
as we implemented trial services with this INFO midcall function both in SIP phone and Softswitch.

My proposal is that in standard SIP phone (UA) have midcall button simply initiating INFO 
when the button is pressed.

-------------------------------------------
Title: INFO Usage Examples for Network-based Mid-Call Service 
Author: Jinkyung Hwang (KT)

Abstract:

  This document describes the INFO usage examples for network based 
  mid-call service. Mid-call based services are for example, Call 
  Transfer, Call Waiting, and Three-Way Calling. Other possible mid-
  call services are useful and important, even more in IP multimedia 
  network. The cases described in SIP service examples (draft-ietf-
  sipping-service-examples-05) are Terminal-basis. Since the service 
  procedures are fixed in the Terminal, the features are not extensible. 
  This document proposes network-based mid-call control mechanism with 
  INFO and shows examples that simple mid-call request (INFO) from the 
  Terminal, then the network application server provide various mid-call 
  services by prompting user through the Media Server, according to the 
  subscription information of the user. 

A URL for this draft is 

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt

BR

Jinkyung Hwang
KT

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
To: "sipping" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 1:26 AM
Subject: [Sipping] draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt

> J*i�x&j)b�	b��m��?�0�'�~���f��f��X��)ߣ�"����8b�X��+��DYׯzZ)�����ay�i�'�*'��=K�*b��^�������%�f�i�n~���-���w.����ȩRǬ�����+��+��z�������(}�+y"

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:47:12 -0500

I agree that these services are needed. However, mechanisms are in place 
today for performing these services. Call transfer is done with REFER, 
call waiting is a local feature on the device, and three way calling can 
be done locally or through invocation of a centralized conferencing server.

In the SIp services model, all of these features do not live in a 
centralized server in the network. Rather, they are distributed, and 
implemented in the place most appropriate for that service. In an IP 
network, the endpoints have greater intelligence than in the PSTN. 
Having smarter endpoints means that you can have a better overall 
service experience and support a broader range of devices.

MGCP takes the position you are advocating, that the services all live 
in a centralized place. Cullen's point, I believe, is that, if the aim 
is to develop protocols to support a model of centralized service 
control, we already have that - mgcp.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

황진경 wrote:

>>J*ix&j)b	bm?0'~ffX)ߣ"8bX+DYׯzZ)ayi'*'=K*b^?%fin~-w.ȩRǬ++z(}+y"

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: 황진경 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:46:26 +0900

I really appreciate your warming comments(:-), as it is my first participation in this WG.

---
I know currently rich service features such as Call transfer and Call waiting are based on SIP endpoints.

Call transfer procedure is well defined by the REFER,
and others can be provided  with the functions of the phone.

However, in the emerging SIP based next generation network, 
the intelligence 'also' should be in the network.

What I propose is NOT change currently defined Call transfer procedure BUT
network based midcall features are to be considered,
since service operator can make the services more flexible, extensible, and richer.

IMHO, 
the SIPPING WG start to discuss about the network based features and service examples...
(or is it the role like 3GPP ?)

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt

Sincerely,
Jinkyung Hwang
KT

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jonathan Rosenberg" <[email-masked]>
To: "황진경" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>; "sipping" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Sipping] draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt

> �����f��)��+-��i����
bz���j)fj��b��?�*i�x�+%��b��+4E�z�����������bq�b�zH�Ա�"�)��鞞�+���[�n&�v�讫��ب��'r��z{l��,zȩ��_������ׯzZ)�����ܢ��

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:53:29 -0500

Mr. Wang is saying that they make money doing the services their way, which is 
also possible using SIP.  Your "SIP services model" is one business model, but 
others are possible and more in line with existing businesses.

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>> My proposal is that in standard SIP phone (UA) have midcall button 
>> simply initiating INFO when the button is pressed.
>>
>> Title: INFO Usage Examples for Network-based Mid-Call Service Author: 
>> Jinkyung Hwang (KT)
>>
>> Abstract:
>>
>>   Terminal, then the network application server provide various 
>> mid-call   services by prompting user through the Media Server, 
>> according to the   subscription information of the user.
>> A URL for this draft is
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>