Subject: [Sipping] Updated draft draft-ietf-sipping-sos-01

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:38:06 -0500

I have submitted draft-ietf-sipping-sos-01, reflecting some of the 
discussion of the last week. Until it appears in the archives, you can 
find it at 
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/sos/draft-ietf-sipping-sos-01.html

The major semantic change is that the sos.* subaddresses were replaced 
by a callee capabilities media feature tag.

Also, the discovery of emergency numbers was aligned, to the extent 
possible, with the 3GPP behavior: 112 and 911 always recognized, a short 
list of common numbers recognized if and only if the device has no other 
information about local emergency numbers.

Since discovery of local emergency numbers could be relatively simple if 
the 'EN' resource record proposal is adopted (know the country the 
device is in, make one DNS query), I'm hoping that the use of default 
numbers will be rare in practice. 3GPP devices have the advantage that 
you can't call the Finnish directory service if your SIM card has been 
removed, so the collision problem is less pronounced.

Comments are appreciated. I hope to get some session time in Seoul to 
discuss some of the open issues and reach closure on the discussion 
results so far.

The draft notes one open issue:

OPEN ISSUE: Alternatively, if the user dialed a digit string, the "To" 
header could contain the digit string, as in 
"tel:911;phone-context=sos.arpa". (The calling device may not know its 
current location, so it cannot insert a country-specific identifier.)

This relates to my query to the list as to whether the 'dialstring' 
discussion ever yielded a draft.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP