Subject: [Sipping] RE: manyfolks-sipping-ToIP-01

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:48:27 +0100

Eric, the specified transmission method is designed for both satisfying the
users and not straining networks:

In order to not strain networks, the transport level RFC2793 says that
characters should be buffered together in packets for shipping. The
recommendation for shipping packets with text is to use 300 ms intervals
between transmissions.

The revision of RFC2793, in draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-02 is stronger and
more clear about this RECOMMENDATION.

With the 300 ms interval between packet transmissions, we have a text flow
that is experienced to be close enough to character-by-character, and a
maximum network load of 3 packets per second containing around 3 kbit/s,
including redundancy. That is sustainable for most network connections.

Are there really typists that can type 60 characters per second????
I would expect that the maximum load would come from speech-to-text
arrangements, where I would guess that 20 characters per second would be a
practical maximum. Therefore, 30 characters/s throughput in transmission
sounded sufficient for me.

With the buffering described above, this figure is not critical, so if you
have reasons to think that there is a real requirement for 60 cps, we should
document it.

Subtitling a radio report from a football match by using speech-to-text
might be among the more challenging applications..

Gunnar
-------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor AB
Renathvägen 2
SE 121 37 Johanneshov
SWEDEN
+46 8 556 002 03
Mob: +46 708 204 288
www.omnitor.se
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Eric Burger
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 8:50 PM
To: [email-masked]; Sipping (E-mail)
Subject: manyfolks-sipping-ToIP-01

I like the "network must support a minimum of 30cps" for text (section 6,
requirement (d)).  Then I thought about it: that's a ptime of 33ms.  That is
OK.  However, if we said minimum of 30cps, but really like 60cps
(professional typist), that is a ptime of 16ms, which would start to strain
many networks.

Why do we say that the file format for storage should be XHTML?  Are we
archiving marked-up text?  Why not just UTF-8?

-
This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks - http://www.snowshore.com
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators and
Snowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments found
on this list. The archives for this list can be found at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/toip_archive/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP