Subject: Re: [Sipping] Use of PUBLISH in rtcp-summary-03

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:18:21 +0300

Inline.

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 19:11, ext Huybrighs Joseph wrote:
..snip..
> If the choice is between PUBLISH and NOTIFY then, because PUBLISH
> clearly is about sending "events", PUBLISH would be OK for me. But
> then I would suggest to add additional usage schemes in
> draft-ietf-sip-publish-04 and allow besides "initial", "refresh",
> "modify", and "remove" also a "single" (one-shot if you like) type of
> operation for PUBLISH that doesn't establishes a soft state in the
> Event State Compositor (ESC).

Well, that's just it, the PUBLISH method was designed to carry soft
state. There was some extensive discussion that took place on the SIMPLE
list where it was debated whether PUBLISH should also handle hard-state
publications.

And I must admit I was under the impression that SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY was
being used to get this perfrpt events from the UA. The draft isn't
really clear on which entity subscribes to this event, and why is
PUBLISH needed vs. the UA itself servicing the subscription(s).

For simply sending stateless, periodic reports to an entity that isn't
an ESC using PUBLISH seems a bit of a misuse of the method. Something
like MESSAGE (or perhaps a REPORT method ;) would fit the description
better.

However, setting the PUBLISH expiration to a reasonably large value
accomplishes something close to hard-state publication. But the draft
probably needs to be strengthened a bit in this respect to include
proper considerations for using PUBLISH, as is stated in
draft-ietf-sip-publish-04 (soon-to-be RFC 3903).

Cheers,
Aki

> Any other thoughts about this?
> 
> Jos
> 
> System Engineering,
> Siemens Subscriber Networks, Brussels
> 
> 
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP