Subject: [Sipping] Updated NAT scenarios draft

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:12:16 +0100

All,

            I've just submitted a new version of the NAT scenarios
draft.  Until it appears in the archives, it can be found at:

http://www.ubiquitysoftware.com/ietf/draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios-01
.txt

This document has a new start and so is still in its very early stages.
I have submitted to let you folks take a look and comment on the
direction - the detail will be consolidated in the next version which
will be polished.  Please could you take a look and comment on the new
direction + suggest any future call scenarios that you would like to see
included (that are not currently listed in the index).

Best Regards,

Chris.

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.  If you are not the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:39:57 -0400

Hi Chris,

I believe that instead of specifically endorsing TURN as THE media relay 
mechanism, we talk about media relays more generically. We can mention TURN
as an 
example, of a type of media relay as long as we mention the other type
(i.e., a 
B2BUA/SBC approach).

Specifically, I propose rewording section 3.2.3 as follows:

3.2.3  Media Relays

   As mentioned in the previous section, the STUN protocol does not work
   for UDP traversal through a Symmetric style NAT.  Media Relays 
   provide the solution for UDP traversal of symmetric NAT.  

   Media Relays provides an external address and guarantee traffic will 
   reach the associated internal address.

   Two types of media relays exist:

	(1) Media Relays where there is a B2BUA redirecting the 
	    media to Media Relay. 

	    These Media Relays do not require support of any 
	    additional protocol on the SIP UA. A Session
	    Border Controller is an example of such a Media Relay. 

	(2) Media Relays where an explicit protocol is defined between
	    the media endpoint and the Media Relay. 

	    These Media Relays do not require a B2BUA. TURN is an example 
	    of such a protocol. TURN is extremely similar to STUN in both 
	    syntax and operation. The full details of the TURN specification

	    are defined in [10].  

   Media Relays will almost always provide media traffic to a
   SIP entity but it is RECOMMENDED that this method only be used as a
   last resort and not as a general mechanism for NAT traversal.  This
   is because using Media Relays have a high performance costs when 
   relaying media traffic.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Chris Boulton
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 04:12
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Updated NAT scenarios draft

All,
            I've just submitted a new version of the NAT scenarios draft.
Until it appears in the archives, it can be found at:

http://www.ubiquitysoftware.com/ietf/draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios-01.txt

This document has a new start and so is still in its very early stages.  I
have submitted to let you folks take a look and comment on the direction -
the detail will be consolidated in the next version which will be polished.
Please could you take a look and comment on the new direction + suggest any
future call scenarios that you would like to see included (that are not
currently listed in the index).

Best Regards,

Chris.

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  Unless otherwise expressly
agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally
binding.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP