Subject: [Sipping] RE: [Sip-implementors] Doubt regarding comparison of From-Tag, To-tag and Via-branch

From: sunil vatnal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:39:28 +0900

Hi Anil,
It's defined in the RFC that tokens are always case-insensitive. Only
the tokens expressed in quoted strings are case-sensitive. You can
implement case-insensitive comparison in this case.
- sunil vatnal

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 3:47 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: [Sip-implementors] Doubt regarding comparison of
From-Tag,To-tag and Via-branch

Hi All,
            I have a doubt regarding comparison of From-Tag,To-tag and
Via-branch for matching the transaction.
While comparing the tags and branch parameters, whether the comparison
should be case-sensitive or case-insensitive.
In section 7.3.1 of RFC3261:-
   "When comparing header fields, field names are always case-
   insensitive.  Unless otherwise stated in the definition of a
   particular header field, field values, parameter names, and parameter
   values are case-insensitive.  Tokens are always case-insensitive."

As per the grammar of From-tag and To-tag:-
tag-param   =  "tag" EQUAL token
and grammar of branch parameter of Via header is:-
via-branch        =  "branch" EQUAL token

In the definition of From,To and Via headers, there is no definition
that
the values should be case-sensitive.
Does that mean that we should do case-insensitive comparison?
Please confirm on this.

Regards
Anil N

Hughes Software Systems (HSS)-  B'lore India
Office Number: +91-80-51067074

***********************  HSS-Private   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it
is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering,
or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility
for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by
this
email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Sip-implementors mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/sip-implementors

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP