Subject: [Sipping] P2P SIP

From: "David A. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:43:06 -0500

Hello Henning,

I have been working on a P2P SIP project as well. You may have seen
some the early internal William & Mary documents and talks from Nov.
2003 and onward on the web (I've been using the name SOSIMPLE). It
looks like your approach is extremely similar -- derived from a DHT
such as Chord.

Additionally, several of us (myself, Cullen Jennings, Adam Roach and a
few others) also discussed this topic quite a bit at IETF in
Washington and have had ongoing discussions about it. We are currently
fleshing out the details. I've started working on an experimental
draft on the subject, and have submitted to a few academic conferences
for publication.

I'd love for you, Kindan Singh, and anyone else who is interested to
work together on this.

--David Bryan

> From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], sipping <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:44:11 -0500
> Subject: [Sipping] Technical reports on Skype protocol analysis and SIP in 
> peer-to-peer mode
> We have written two technical reports that might be of interest to
> members of the list. Both can be found at
> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/2004.html
> 
>    Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony using SIP
>    Kundan Singh and Henning Schulzrinne
> 
> describes how SIP, with trivial modifications, can operate as a fully
> peer-to-peer protocol, i.e., without per-domain servers. We describe a
> hybrid scenario where parts are in p2p mode, while others follow the
> more "traditional" proxy mode.
> 
>    An Analysis of the Skype Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony Protocol
>    Salman A. Baset and Henning Schulzrinne
>
> attempts to analyze how Skype works, constrained by the encryption of
> the protocol exchanges.
> 
> We would appreciate comments on these documents.
> 
> Henning

-- 
David Bryan
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~bryan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP