Subject: [Sipping] P2P requirements

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:17:37 -0800

Right now I am somewhat interested in the space of what might be possible
and what would be the limitations of theses systems. I'm not even sure I
know what I want, but, hey, I might know when I see it. I agree we need
requirements before we could fully specify anything, however, I'm at a
somewhat almost pre requirements exploratory stage. Sort of like jabber was
back when the IETF was only working on it's 2nd or 3rd proposal form IM
systems :-) 

I think one of the interesting problems to me is can we allow people to form
adhoc networks. Imagine several people show up at IETF and decide to form a
chat group - this is useful. People can choose a name, get on a group, and
chat. Perhaps they are doing shared editing on a collaborative tool of some
sort. Perhaps the chat takes the form of voice and video that is
conferences. So far this is possible relying on DNS and central servers to
help with the rendezvous.  Now perhaps those people are on an airplane using
802.11 and don't have connectivity to the global DNS root servers or any
central servers. Perhaps the airplanes will all have connectivity but
perhaps the users are in some disaster area and "off the net". Could
something interesting be done here? Definitely. In fact there are many ways
it could be done. Multicast comes to mind. I like the rendezvous stuff in
iChat. Very adaptive DNS comes to mind. I like dyndns. DHTs could be used.
I'm sure all these systems approaches would end up with significantly
different characteristics. I'm queries about what's possible,

It may turn out  that the properties possible with these approaches can all
be solved better in other ways. Much of the experience with optimizing P2P
systems has come to a design like the standard SIP P2P design where you use
central servers with minimal state and pointers to correct edge them push
all the work to to the edge. The typical SIP UA with a central register is a
classic example of this style of P2P design. 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP