Subject: RE: [Sipping] New I-D on midcall requirement

From: Avasarala Ranjit-A20990 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:10:54 +0530

Hi 
   Can't we use SIP INFO method for mid call signaling? 

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] New I-D on midcall requirement

Title: Requirements for Mid Call Communication in the SIP

Authors: J. Hwang (KT)
    A. Tripathi (Huawei Technologies)
     V. Vinit (Hughes Software Systems)

Abstract:
  In its current form, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) allows session 
  invitations, instant messages, and other requests to be delivered 
  from one party to another. However it doesnot explicitly permit 
  midcall events such as hook/flash from the user to be passed on to 
  the network application server. Without such ability, it is not clear 
  how SIP can be used to provide certain network controlled services. 
  This document identifies a set of requirements for extensions to SIP 
  to provide a MidCall-based communications framework.

A URL for this draft is 

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hwang-sipping-midcall-
reqs-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Muthu Arul <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:19:42 +0530

Or SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY ?
http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-mahy-sip-signaled-digits-01.txt

Muthu

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:21:57 -0600

>    Can't we use SIP INFO method for mid call signaling?

The current consensus is that "INFO is evil",

In short, INFO is underspecified. The use of INFO is currently only 
documented adequately for mid-call signaling related to specific sorts 
of telephony interworking.

We have in the past debated whether we should declare that this 
interworking is the only legitimate use of INFO, or whether we should 
develop guidelines and procedures for documenting additional usages of 
INFO. I leaned toward the latter, and coughed up a discussion grade 
draft (now long-expired) that can be seen at:

http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-willis-sip-infopackage-00.txt

After some debate, we decided that we had higher priorities and would 
resume the discussion only if somebody proposed another use of INFO 
that seemed appropriate, required documentation, and rejuvenated the 
discussion.

--
Dean

---

From: 황진경 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:45:57 +0900

The draft proposes the requirements of the midcall feature in SIP-based
platforms including the SIP terminal,
And it does not explicitly mention to use the SIP INFO method.

I'd like to discuss whether and how the Midcall mechanism be supported in
SIP network, in the service operator's perspective.

Since my previous I-D (INFO Usage Examples for Network-based Mid-Call
Service (draft-hwang-sipping-infomidcall-00.txt)) which was expired was a
proposal with SIP INFO, but this time I step backward and propose a
*requirement* with my co-authors (Mr. Tripathi (Huawei) and Mr. Vinit
(Hughes))

Thanks

Jinkyung Hwang
KT
-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Willis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:22 AM
To: Avasarala Ranjit-A20990
Cc: [email-masked]; ???
Subject: Re: [Sipping] New I-D on midcall requirement

--
Dean