Subject: [Sipping] SBC Requirements doc

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:56:55 -0500

Based on discussions at the last DC meeting, we have posted a requirements
draft for folks who are interested:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-sipping-sbc-0
0.txt

Abstract:

  "Typical policy implemented at network border deals with security and

   enforcement of service level agreements at the network level.  For

   multimedia sessions, such policy can be applied not only at higher

   layers but can be provided in a more granular and extended fashion.

   A Session Border Control (SBC) entity is a network intermediary

   located at the administrative boundary of the network for policy

   enforcement on multimedia sessions.  The focus of this document is

   the SIP specific requirements for SBCs.  This document  does not

   specify any architectural requirments for SBCs.  Architectures such

   as specified in [1] may be used."

-Medhavi.

Medhavi Bhatia

Chief Architect

NexTone Communications

www.nextone.com <http://www.nextone.com/>  

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:06:05 -0500

Alan,

You are right. The term traffic monitoring in the draft does not do justice
to this application. We are also focusing on SIP requirements only and the
requirement this imposes is that there may be a need to inspect/change the
SDP (RTP or RTCP) or maybe use an event subscription mechanism in SIP (if it
is accepted). You are right about the RTP sessions. The SBC can provide
approximation of quality for streams entering the SBC Network.

-Medhavi.

  _____  

From: Alan Clark [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:27 AM
To: Medhavi Bhatia; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] SBC Requirements doc

Medhavi

The draft doesn't seem to mention service quality measurement, which is a
key issue for interconnected service providers.   There are two functions
that an SBC could help with:

(i) Inter-domain SLA monitoring, i.e. measuring the quality of service
delivered by domain A to domain B

(ii) Support for multi-domain service quality management, i.e. managing and
troubleshooting the quality of services delivered over multiple domains

It is also interesting to consider - logically - whether an RTP session
terminates in an SBC.  In the case of a transcoding gateway then it
obviously does however in the case of a router then it may or may not -
however in the latter case you may want to treat the RTP session as two half
separate sessions anyway for reporting purposes.

Regards

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Medhavi Bhatia
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] SBC Requirements doc

 

Abstract:

-Medhavi.

Medhavi Bhatia

Chief Architect

NexTone Communications

---

From: "Alan Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:26:48 -0500

Medhavi

Regards

Alan

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Medhavi Bhatia
  Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:57 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [Sipping] SBC Requirements doc

  Abstract:

  -Medhavi.

  Medhavi Bhatia

  Chief Architect

  NexTone Communications

  www.nextone.com

---

From: Nathan Allen Stratton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:33:46 -0500 (EST)

> separate sessions anyway for reporting purposes.

This is a good point, today we are user our SBCs (Acmes) for both media
and signaling and then use the SBC to insert our transcoding gateways in
calls that need it. This gives us one interface to the outside and keeps
transcoding inside the edge of our network.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                   BroadVoice, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                                 Talk IS Cheap
http://www.robotics.net                           http://www.broadvoice.com