Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft: Functions of Current SBCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:13:56 -0600

>How about client side and network side?
 
1. The intermediaries used in carrier networks (often referred to as SBC in
a confusing manner) could be called "Network based Session Controllers" or
NSC.
 
2. The intermediaries at the perifery of private IP networks, colocated with
the NAT/FW could be called "Perimeter Session Controllers" or PSC.
 
Any other, more accurate names?
 
Thanks, Henry

  _____  

From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:43 AM
To: [email-masked]; 'Medhavi Bhatia'; 'Richard Fogel'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft: Functions of Current SBCs

Henry

As always, you wield a sharp sword.  I think you are correct, we need to
differentiate a client side SBC from a network side SBC and we need names.

How about client side and network side?

Brian

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:45 AM
To: 'Medhavi Bhatia'; 'Richard Fogel'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft: Functions of Current SBCs

Medhavi,

It appears the location of such intermediaries makes the critical
difference:

1. SBC placed in the network (in the C.O.) of the carrier, or 

2. A perimeter device (such as Borderware or SIP media Proxy - these are
product names ) that is collocated as CPE with the NAT and Firewall. This
co-location changes many security aspects (we need to specify which) and
also the media performance, as well as bandwidth consumption. Multi-homing
is an issue here, not to forget.

I suggest we should always make this distinction. Maybe someone proposes
some definitions or names for each.

Thanks, Henry

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Sridhar Ramachandran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:38:02 -0500

How about Premise based Session Controller (PSC again) for the 2nd category?

Cheers,

Sridhar.

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:14 PM
To: 'Brian Rosen'; 'Medhavi Bhatia'; 'Richard Fogel'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft: Functions of Current SBCs

Thanks, Henry

  _____  

Henry

Brian

  _____  

Medhavi,

Thanks, Henry

---

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:39:14 -0500

I'd still vote for something like P-SBC and N-SBC. We already know these are
kinds of SBCs. The word customer premise needs to be captured, so P-SBC
should be "Premises-SBC". I can't get the same understanding just by the
word perimeter.

  _____  

Thanks, Henry

  _____  

Henry

Brian

  _____  

Medhavi,

Thanks, Henry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:22:30 -0600

We have now a good agenda item for the SIPPING WG: Humming on various name
proposals  :-)
 
Henry

  _____  

From: Medhavi Bhatia [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:39 PM
To: [email-masked]; 'Brian Rosen'; 'Richard Fogel'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft: Functions of Current SBCs

  _____  

Thanks, Henry

  _____  

Henry

Brian

  _____  

Medhavi,

Thanks, Henry