Subject: RE: [Sipping] Transcoding/Reconciling Device Capabilities

From: "Roy, Radhika" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:47:36 -0500

Hi, Gonzalo:
 
You are right (it is Henning - sorry for the mistake).
 
It is great that you will take of this in the future draft.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

________________________________

From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 2/22/2005 4:30 AM
To: Roy, Radhika
Cc: Henning Schulzrinne; sipping
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Transcoding/Reconciling Device Capabilities

Hi Roy,

inline:

Roy wrote:

> Hi, Gonzalo and Henry:

I guess you meant "Henning", right?

> I find that the following drafts of yours have some similarities so far
> transcoding is concerned. I find that Henning's draft addresses more
> generic way including mobility.

Henning's draft deals with transcoding by using the 3pcc model
documented in the 3pcc transcoding draft. There isn't any inconsistency
as far as I can see between both drafts.

Of course, Henning's draft covers ground that is outside the scope of
the transcoding work.

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shacham-sipping-session-mobili
> ty-00.txt
>
> http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-transc-f
> ramework-00.txt
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-transc-3pcc-02.tx
> t
>
> http://standards.ericsson.net/gonzalo/papers/draft-camarillo-sipping-tra
> nsc-b2bua-01.txt
>
> Let me suggest that all transcoding drafts be extended to make them more
> generic, as Henning has done in Section 6 of his draft, titling as
> "Reconciling Device Capability Differences" and use codec differences,
> TTS, STT, bandwidth differences, QoS parameter differences, etc. as
> separate examples.
>
> Is this suggestion acceptable?

The transcoding drafts already state that the mechanisms described there
are general and can be used to invoke simple transcoders or more
complicated media servers. From the Introduction of the transcoding
framework:

    So,
    the invocation mechanisms described in this document are generally
    applicable to any type of incompatibility related to how the
    information that needs to be communicated is encoded.

         Furthermore, although this framework focuses on
         transcoding, the mechanisms described are applicable to
         media manipulation in general. It would be possible to use
         them, for example, to invoke a server that simply increased
         the volume of an audio stream.

In any event, in future revisions of this document we will try to stress
(even more) this point, as you suggest.

Thanks for the comments,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP