Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt

From: "Michael Hammer \(mhammer\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:26:58 -0400

I was perhaps too terse.  What was already suggested was that the
Contact: header should carry the mailto: URI and the UAC upon receipt of
a non-200 response could leave a voice-mail at that address, which
presumable is always online.  While recommending that the user@domain is
identical for both mailto: and sip: URIs, it is not a necessary
condition for this to work.

Mike 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Arjun Roychowdhury [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:12 PM
>To: Michael Hammer (mhammer)
>Cc: sipping
>Subject: Re: [Sipping] RE: Comments on 
>draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt
>
>On Apr 7, 2005 11:59 AM, Michael Hammer (mhammer) 
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 2) Include a parameter in the INVITE that conveys the mailto, whose 
>> value may not match the contact sip:user@domain.
>
>It could be in an INVITE for the caller to indicate alternate 
>URIs or in responses from the callee to indicate alternate 
>URIs. And this scheme should be valid for any URI format 
>(mailto: im: pres: etc )
>
>regds
>arjun
>
>--
>Arjun Roychowdhury
>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: lconroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:55:26 +0100

Hi folks,
   Have you guys not heard of identity leakage?
So ... I call a number, and I get back a working email address.
Is this wise?

Also, if you want an "open" system to carry multiple URLs,
why not just use ENUM? That's what it's there for. It also
solves the problem of dialling URLs and remembering more than
N phone numbers [i.e. the 10 button problem].

all the best from a puzzled
   Lawrence

>> URIs. And this scheme should be valid for any URI format
---------------------------------------
lawrence conroy    |tel:+44-1794-833666

---

From: Arjun Roychowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:41:30 -0400

Choice is not a bad thing. The UAS decides if it wants to return its
email as a response. If the UAS decides not to, due to some internal
policy, you cannot force it to.

We are talking about p2p networks here - not sure how ENUM will really
help, unless every node in the p2p network decided to co-operate with
a central ENUM db dip which to me goes against the concept of full
distribution.

And finally, you really cannot do anything if someone choooses to
guess your email id from an alternate id. Also, I am not convinced
that any internet ID is secure from spam (be it im, pres, mail, sip) -
the very nature of the internet makes it very easy to discover such
ids - be it by crawling sites, archives (such as this) , even search
engines. So really, SPAM filters have and will be critical to any
internet communication method.

regds
arjun

-- 
Arjun Roychowdhury