Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: 'An INVITE Inititiated Dialog Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:29:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An INVITE Inititiated Dialog Event Package for the Session Initiation 
   Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-dialog-package-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

This document defines a dialog event package for the SIP Events
architecture, along with a data format used in notifications for this
package.  The dialog package allows users to subscribe to another
user, and receive notifications about the changes in state of INVITE
initiated dialog usages that the user is involved in.

Working Group Summary

The document is a product of the SIPPING working group and was
developed over the course of about three years. The SIP community
wanted a way to implement applications which are commonly found in the
PSTN such as single-line-extension or automatic callback. The WG was
finally able to design a general mechanism that allows devices to
become aware of the state of another device. The working group
demonstrated strong consensus to deliver a standard solution to this
problem, and rough-consensus and no strong objections to the specific
approach.

Protocol Quality

This document was shepherded for the IESG under the PROTO method by 
Gonzalo Camarillo, co-chair of the SIPPING working group.  

RFC Editor Note:

[correcting text error and spelling]
Section 1

OLD:
      When A picks it up, they here ringing,
      and are being connected to B.  To implement this with SIP, a
      mechanism is required for B to receive a notification when the
      dialogs at A are complete.
NEW:
      When A picks it up, they hear ringing,
      and are being connected to B.  To implement this with SIP, a
      mechanism is required for A to receive a notification when the
      dialogs at B are complete.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP