Subject: [Sipping] Comment on RFC3265 related to 481 response

From: "Vipin Palawat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:13:29 -0500

Hi All,
 
I would like to point out a possible bug in RFC3265 related to 481 response.
 
Section 3.1.4.2 : If a SUBSCRIBE request to refresh a subscription receives
a "481" response, this indicates that the subscription has been terminated.
 
Comment:  If a subscription doesn't exist , the notifier will install a new
subscription or reject the subscription with appropriate response which
would not be a 481. Therefore, a 481 could only indicate that the dialog has
been terminated.
 
Section 3.2.2: If a NOTIFY request receives a 481 response, the notifier
MUST remove the corresponding subscription even if such subscription was
installed by non-SUBSCRIBE means.
 
Comment: If I receive 481, then as per 3261 the dialog is terminated which
is inconsistent in 3265 that talks about just terminating the
corresponding subscription and not the dialog. Moreover the meaning of 481
is changed in 3265 which talks about "481 Subscription
does not exist" (Section 3.2) which is again inconsistent with 3261. The
result is that we cannot deterministically conclude that a 481 on a NOTIFY
terminates only the subscription or a dialog.
 
-Vipin

 
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP