Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-10.txt

From: "Shimon Nurick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:56:01 +0300

13. Section 5.2.3 "maximum-user-count"
<rant>We have never defined what this means.  We have never come up with
a reason to have it.  We are blindly copying a mechanism that TDM
systems use without any reflection on whether that works in this domain.
For example, does the number of clients of the streaming service
count?</rant>

We would like to limit a conference size, so its dynamic expansion is
limited and can't occupy unlimited resources (DSP on the focus, BW on
the NW etc.)

Shimon

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:23:27 -0400

Fine.  The real limit in most systems is CPU/DSP MIPs and aggregate
bandwidth.  It's not the number of people.  

Give me a definition that everyone can get behind.
Does it reduce to a single scalar?  I suspect not.

For example, you may be able to handle more audio only participants that
audio+video participants.  You may be able to handle a very large number of
streaming participants, but a much smaller number of interactive
participants.  Most systems don't count robo attendees (a recorder for
example), is it in this definition?  

The package introduces all of the complexity of audio, video and streaming,
but leaves this value as a single undefined scalar based on people count.
It's not that easy.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Shimon Nurick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Orit Levin; Brian Rosen
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments on
draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-10.txt

Shimon