Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt

From: "Roy, Radhika" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:35:37 -0400

Hi, all:
 
As Brian said, let us make two separate threads:
 
1. Distributed voicemail (or other specific services)
2. P2P SIP system
 
This is because item 2 can be used in a servcie independent way (services can used as examples that are applicable to P2P SIP system).
 
Item 1, it is a specific service and let us examine what are the ways that this particular service (or other services) can be offered in a distributed way. 
 
Who knows it may so turn out that P2P SIP system may be the best ways to do this. Let us prove it before jumping for offering the voicemail service using P2P SIP system.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

________________________________

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Brian Rosen
Sent: Fri 4/1/2005 11:17 AM
To: 'Seamus Gilchrist'; 'Philip Matthews'; [email-masked]
Cc: 'sipping'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt

I think this part of the discussion has gotten off track.

In a P2P SIP system, the voicemail "server"; the thing that answers the
phone, plays a greeting and lets you record a message, is a "peer", that is,
it's a user agent server (UAS).

The P2P problem is not answering phones, playing messages and recording
messages, it's how does the call get to the endpoint that does that.

We can, if you want, start a thread on how you might make a completely
distributed voicemail system, but that is a completely different problem
from a P2P SIP system.

Can we now return to our regularly scheduled program?

Brian

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:35:27 -0500

Roy,

Another way of separating the issues of voice mail and P2P is to make them
technology independent. 

Is there an expectation from the customer to call and leave voice mail if
the presence icon makes it visible that the other party is not online? There
is a reasonable chance I believe for the "caller" not to call and experience
voice mail (and the disgusting IVR), but rather send an e-mail or try again
some other time. So there may be no expectation to have voice mail in the
first place.

If the called party is online and busy, an IM can be sent anyway.

Henry

  _____  

From: Roy, Radhika [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:36 AM
To: Brian Rosen; Seamus Gilchrist; Philip Matthews; [email-masked]
Cc: sipping
Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on
draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt

Hi, all:

2. P2P SIP system

This is because item 2 can be used in a servcie independent way (services
can used as examples that are applicable to P2P SIP system).

Item 1, it is a specific service and let us examine what are the ways that
this particular service (or other services) can be offered in a distributed
way. 

Who knows it may so turn out that P2P SIP system may be the best ways to do
this. Let us prove it before jumping for offering the voicemail service
using P2P SIP system.

Best regards,

Radhika

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Brian Rosen
Sent: Fri 4/1/2005 11:17 AM
To: 'Seamus Gilchrist'; 'Philip Matthews'; [email-masked]
Cc: 'sipping'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on
draft-johnston-sipping-p2p-ipcom-01.txt

Brian

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:26:01 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Is there an expectation from the customer to call and leave voice mail 
> if the presence icon makes it visible that the other party is not 
> online? There is a reasonable chance I believe for the “caller” not to 
> call and experience voice mail (and the disgusting IVR), but rather send 
> an e-mail or try again some other time. So there may be no expectation 
> to have voice mail in the first place.

This is a good point. In many cases the caller could record a message 
and send it email. However, if you are committed to the fully P2P 
approach, that just begs the question of how you might do email in a 
fully P2P way, without depending on any commercial servers.

	Paul

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:51:46 +0300

> fully P2P way, without depending on any commercial servers.

simply running your own dns server and email server.  and if you want to
port your email box from your original email provider, e.g.,
[email-masked], to your own server, people can do as i proposed
earlier, i.e., email clients first make smtp srv query on
pkyzivat.cisco.com.p2p.arpa and only if that fails on cisco.com.

-- juha

---

From: Petteri Hallikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:05:29 +0300

Juha,

> people can do as i proposed

Do you really think that the "mass market users" are ready for this ? The basic users,
that enables the business around SIP do not know what is DNS/SMTP or even care what that
is. They just want the terminal which works with principle "plug and play". I understand
that there's few thousand people who are interested to build they own Linux with all nice
functionalities but what about those tens of millions regular users ?

Cheers,
Petteri

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:19:12 +0300

Petteri Hallikainen writes:

 > Do you really think that the "mass market users" are ready for this ?

no, and i didn't say so.

 > The basic users, that enables the business around SIP do not know
 > what is DNS/SMTP or even care what that is. They just want the
 > terminal which works with principle "plug and play". I understand
 > that there's few thousand people who are interested to build they own
 > Linux with all nice functionalities but what about those tens of
 > millions regular users ?

the second part of my email is what i think is possible for "mass market
users".  a user simply sends an email to some address (because of
competition, there would be many to choose from) and gets automatically
(after reply confirmation) a user.domain.p2p.arpa allocated for him/her
and also gets automatically an email server, sip registrar,
etc. configured for him/her.

-- juha