Subject: [Sipping] Question on PoC Service Setting draft.

From: V Padhye Chinmay-Q16416 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:23:19 +0530

Hi,

Had a couple of comments/questions about -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-poc-isb-am-01.txt.

1. Multiple <isb-settings> elements?

The draft says - 

"A PoC settings document begins with the root element tag
   <poc-settings>.  It consists of zero or more <isb-settings> elements,
   zero or more <am-settings> elements, and zero or more<ipab-settings>
   elements.  Other elements from different namespaces MAY be present
   for the purposes of extensibility; elements or attributes from
   unknown namespaces MUST be ignored."

What are the semantics of having more than 1 <poc-settings> or
<isb-settings>. 

    For example how does a server process this -

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

   <poc-settings xmlns="urn:oma:params:xml:ns:poc:poc-settings"
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
        xsi:schemaLocation="urn:oma:params:xml:ns:poc:poc-settings">

     <isb-settings>
       <incoming-session-barring active="true">
     </isb-settings>

     <isb-settings>
       <incoming-session-barring active="false">
     </isb-settings>

     <am-settings>
       <answer-mode>automatic</answer-mode>
     </am-settings>

     <am-settings>
       <answer-mode>manual</answer-mode>
     </am-settings>

   </poc-settings>

   The sentence should be re-worded to "It consists of zero or one
<isb-settings> elements,
   zero or one <am-settings> elements, and zero or one <ipab-settings>
elements."

2. Mandating server functionality -

   "A server such as URI-list server receives a SIP request addressed to
   one or more recipients.  If the intended recipient set the
   <answer-mode> to "manual", the URI-list server proceeds with the
   session attempt.  If she set it to "automatic", the URI-list server
   generates a 200-class response prior to contacting the intended
   recipient."

   I think the above must be re-worded with the word MAY. Otherwise its
mandating a server behavior (which is actually defined by OMA specifications
and outside the scope of this draft).

Regards,

- Chinmay

Core Networks Division 
Motorola

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:13:39 +0300

Hi Chinmay:

Thanks for your comments.

I agree with your first comment, actually is a good point, there should 
be zero or one setting of a given type. So I will fix this (also the 
schema needs be fixed).

With respect the second comment, I agree with your principles: we don't 
actually need to indicate what are the actions taken due to the 
publication or notification of this variable. BUT, the current text does 
not say it, it does not have any normative text, such as "MUST", it 
merely says what "will" (or may in lowercase) happen in an informative 
way. Your suggestion of adding a normative text (MAY in uppercase) makes 
things worse. Further more, the action taken by the URI list server has 
no impact on the event package publication or subscription, which is the 
scope of this document. So I will keep this text as is.

BR,

         Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland