Subject: [Sipping] music on hold

From: harry gaillac <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:32:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I wish to provide MOH.

I configured SER server and asterisk as music server
However I can't configure the HOLD key of my polycom
ip300 to contact the music server according to
http://www.tech-invite.com/Ti-sip-service-3.html 

Polycom told me those phones work with 3cpp server ?

What are the solutions to provide MOH?

Does sip phones have to acts as B2BUA?
 
What do you advise me ?

Regards
harry

		
___________________________________________________________________________ 
Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger 
Téléchargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:01:40 -0500

> What do you advise me ?
I advise you ask on the sip-implementors list, the asterisk list, or 
just possibly a polycom list (assuming there is one), as this is pretty 
much off-topic for the SIPPING list.

Good luck, it sounds like a cool application. On second thought, no, I 
actually hate music-on-hold, as it makes waiting on a speaker-phone 
difficult.

--
Dean
SIPPING co-chair.

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:52:04 +0200

Hi,

Is there an event package defined for notification / retrieval of missed 
calls (in particular the ones that occur when you have no SIP UA online, 
which requires network support)

Regards,

jeroen

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:52:08 -0500

On Jun 24, 2005, at 3:52 PM, Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an event package defined for notification / retrieval of  
> missed calls (in particular the ones that occur when you have no SIP  
> UA online, which requires network support)
>

I'm not aware of a standard event package here. There is a product  
listing  such a feature at:

http://www.dynamicsoft.com/prod_sol/MissedCallSummary/ 
missedcallsummary.php

But I think it might be feasible to use Message Waiting Indicator, RFC  
3842, to do something similar.

--
Dean

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:43:01 +0200

Hi Dean, Arif,

Thank you for your pointers, indeed I think that RFC3842 could solve my 
problem

I do feel people could benefit from having a standards based solution, I 
also did find some products that support similar features (although more 
often client side than server side, i.e. a different feature).

One issue that I think would still need to be standardized is the manner in 
which a UA would recognise a message as representing a missed call. You 
could of course simply scan for all 'From' headers you can find, but they 
may not all represent headers from a previous INVITE (could also be e.g. 
MESSAGE, or a received SMS). To me none of the message context values from 
RFC3458 can accurately represent this (see 
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3458.html)

Perhaps something like:
Message-Context : sip-inviteRegards,
jeroen

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:34:42 -0400

> Thank you for your pointers, indeed I think that RFC3842 could solve my 

Well, it might help with reporting about missed calls. It doesn't help 
with capturing the record of missed calls so that it may be reported.

> often client side than server side, i.e. a different feature).

My (non-sip) phone displays lists of missed, received, and placed calls.

I can see MWI being extended to support missed calls - I see little 
difference from a zero length voicemail message.

But I find it harder to see it being extended to support the others.

> One issue that I think would still need to be standardized is the manner 
> in which a UA would recognise a message as representing a missed call. 

Well, that is the rub isn't it. For the typical kind of sip system, 
where there is a proxy responsible for an AOR, and one or more UAs 
registered for that AOR, there is no guarantee that a UA will even see 
all the calls that are missed. The proxy may have been set to Do Not 
Disturb mode and refuse them without offering to a UA, or the call may 
be serial forked and one UA may return a 6xx response, preventing the 
call from being offered to the others, etc.

Even for the proxy there need to be some definitions. Sometimes (e.g. 
voicemail) if the call is picked up by an automaton then it was missed. 
But in the case of an IVR that is not so.

> You could of course simply scan for all 'From' headers you can find, but 

Scan *what*?

This could be an area for new work, starting with trying to define the 
requirements. You would have to see if there is sufficient interest to 
pursue it at this time.

	Paul

> they may not all represent headers from a previous INVITE (could also be 
> e.g. MESSAGE, or a received SMS). To me none of the message context 
> values from RFC3458 can accurately represent this (see 
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Willis" 
> <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:20:40 +0200

>> You could of course simply scan for all 'From' headers you can find, but

The body of the NOTIFY you get from MWI. But I think you agree with me here 
that it is not that simple

> requirements. You would have to see if there is sufficient interest to 

Right. So this is a call for interest: I am hereby asking people to respond 
to the mailinglist with comments and/or indication of interest in this topic

Thanks and regards,

Jeroen