Subject: [Sipping] BENOTIFY and SERVICE

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:16:57 +0300

I see that Microsoft LCS implements SERVICE and BENOTIFY methods. Does 
anybody know where these are documented? It claims that SERVICE is a 
standard SIP method.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/lcs2005/rtc/standardmethod.asp

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:[email-masked]
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:55:52 -0500

> lcs2005/rtc/standardmethod.asp
The SERVICE and BENOTIFY methods do not appear to be registered with  
IANA, so they would not be "standard" in my view of the common usage  
here at IETF.

Perhaps you could open a bug report with Microsoft, who appears to have  
either an error in their software or in their documentation. Of course,  
it could be that they're claiming these to be "Microsoft Standard (TM)"  
methods, which might have been the intent.

Or perhaps what's really meant is that the "standard methods" are the  
ones that come in the base model LCS, and that you can potentially get  
all sorts of nifty "upgrade methods" by upgrading to a premium version  
of LCS. This is sort of like "standard features" in automobiles. You  
know, things like brakes, engines, and a steering wheel. But of course  
automobiles are often purchased with critical "upgrade features", such  
as roofs, radios, and air conditioners.

I hesitate to speculate what other "upgrade methods" might become  
available for LCS, but personally I'd like to see the  
"DOWHATIMEANANDNOTWHATISAY" method, the "WORKSWITHOUTCRASHING" method,  
and the very important "DROPTHEIVRANDGETMEAHUMANOPERATOR" method.

--
Dean