Subject: [Sipping] Query about the use of '?' in a uri

From: "Ansari, Mohammed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:51:02 -0500

Hi,

I would like to know what is the proper use of '?' in a sip uri. Are
these equivalent:

 sip:[email-masked];method=INVITE
 sip:[email-masked]?method=INVITE

Please shed light into the use of '?' in SIP.

Thanks.

Mohammed Ansari
SonyEricsson
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:06:10 -0500

>  sip:[email-masked]?method=INVITE

The first provides a URI-parameter, which specifies that when a device
is contacting the URI, to use the INVITE method (which is the default).
Its grammar is specified in rule "uri-parameters" of section 25.1 of RFC
3261, and its usage is defined in paragraph 2 of section 19.1.5.

The second provides a header specification, which specifies that when a
device is contacting the URI, it should add to the request a header
"Method: INVITE".  Its grammar is specified in the rule "headers" of
section 25.1.  The semantics of "headers" is specified in paragraph 3 of
section 19.1.5.  It has no usage, as there is no such header defined,
and all SIP elements are expected to ignore a "Method" header.

Dale