Subject: [Sipping] What about SPIT and SPAM ? SIPPING and/or SPEER?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:31:31 +0100

After reading some posts in SIPPING and the VoIP Peering and 
Interconnect (voipeer) BOF meeting report (Vancouver):
I still have some questions on "what is the plan to handle SPIT/SPAM 
topic at IETF"?

At first, I supposed voipeer (future SPEER WG) was going to handle this 
topic, however, reading the meeting report, it is said:
- "SIPPING is a fine place to do the work"  (Cullen)
- "we are working on this in SIPPING" (Gonzalo)
- "SPIT prevention could suck a lot of time for the group" (!) (Dave)

So my questions are: where and what?
- Is there really no objection to see the problem handled in SIPPING? 
(actually some work is already on-going 
(http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-spam-01.txt and of 
course, consent framework), however the question remains:
is SPIT prevention always SIP-specific? has SPEER WG already put this 
topic as "out of scope"?

- What is the future work on this topic? as it was discussed in other 
threads, consent framework is one of the technic to handle SPAM and
allows to prevent the "amplification mechanism" in a Relay but this 
solution is not applicable to all anti-spam cases. As stated in 
sipping-spam document, SPAM topic can only be handled by a combination 
of technics. Since it is not desirable to design a 
"complete-all-in-on-framework-system", it seems to me (stop me if I am 
wrong...) that it could be interesting to specify the possibility to 
create antispam-rules documents (inspired by the presence-rule way of 
doing: XCAP and so on,..):
something which would looks like:

 <rules-document>
     <rule>
     <action>"Block"(ie. blacklist) or "ask for computational puzzle" or "WHATEVER antispam technic you want (consent-needed?)" </action>
       <or>
         <field>
           <type>Header</type>
           <name>From</name>
           <value>sip:[email-masked]</value>
         </field>
         <field>
           <type>Header</type>
           <name>From</name>
           <value>sip:[email-masked]</value>
         </field>
       </or>
     </rule>
   </rules-document>

This could allow to apply antispam rules-based filtering and interoperate by exchanging this kind of document, standardizing this kind of XCAP document format would also directly cover the need to federate blacklists (for instance, but valid for other technics) between several domains; 
I would like to know if this is "out of the topic" or if IETF has some plan(s) (short term?) on this kind of topic, if it looks like interesting for some people, we are ready to contribute,

Best regards,
 
Thomas & Geoffrey

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP