Subject: [Sipping] comments on draft-gurbani-sipping-ipv6-sip-01

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:41:35 -0500

>  SIP, IPv6 support needs to be provided not only by the host on which
>    a SIP element is executing on, but support is also expected from the
>    application (i.e., the SIP element) itself.  For instance, the

SIP "application" and "SIP element" are not well defined, and this is 
confusing. I think you are really talking about a system level here - 
i.e, there are many components in a SIP network, including one or more 
proxies, registrars and endpoints, and you need to have all of them 
involved.

>  This document address implementation-specific issues for introducing
>    IPv6 in SIP agents.  Systems-level issues like the interplay between
>    DNS A/AAAA queries and IPv6 and the use of DHCP is discussed in the
>    SIP and IPv6 transition document [3], which is also being discussed
>    in the IETF SIPPING Working Group.

I'm actually a bit confused about the roles of these two documents and 
why they are not one document. If there is a reason for this separation, 
please call it out.

Actually, I'm pretty confused at the general objective of this document. 
It has two parts that seem mostly unrelated. One is a general overview 
of v6 transition strategies, not specific to SIP. The other is a set of 
torture messages for sip containing v6. The former seems out of place 
since its not sip specific at all.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP