Subject: [Sipping] comments on draft-ietf-sipping-transc-conf-00

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:50:48 -0500

> If a trancoder receives a URI-list with more than one URI, it SHOULD
>    return a 488 (Max 1 URI allowed in URI-list) response.

488 is typically used for media incompatibilities. This seems a stretch 
for this case.

The one thing thats not really clear to me is how the transcoding 
conference server figures out what to put in its offer to B. Presumably 
the reason that the server is being contacted is that A and B have 
*some* kind of incompatibility, but what was it? Codec mismatch? IP 
address type mismatch? Should the server offer up everything it knows 
about? Or perhaps there is some way for A to tell the server to use a 
specific conversion?

Perhaps this is dealt with the the framework (apologies I didnt check) 
but regardless it feels like it needs discussion here or at least a 
pointer there if its dealt with in the framework.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP