Subject: RE: [Sipping] Connected-Party Type

From: "Greier, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:58:38 -0500

Thank you Paul. 

The scenario is an inbound SIP call to the gateway, which generates an
outbound call on the PSTN side. The Gateway would then use tone
detection to determine the type of answerer of the PSTN answering-party.
Using a combination of voice and call-progress tone detection, the
gateway should be able to determine 1) when the PSTN call is answered
and 2) what answered the call. Of course, since the determination is
tone-based, it will not be fool-proof. The SIP Services application will
use this information (which hopefully can be passed in the 200OK from
the gateway) to determine its call-processing path.

I'm not sure if RFC3840 provides this ability. RFC3840 looks more like a
capability exchange. Given the description, do you think that RFC3840
will provide the capability that I need?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 8:34 AM
To: Greier, Tom
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Connected-Party Type

I don't know how you plan to determine this, but if you can, then you 
may use callee capabilities (RFC3840) attached to the Contact address to

signal this.

	Paul

Greier, Tom wrote:
> Is there a header or a defined manner that allows a SIP PSTN (POTS) 
> Gateway to, upon call-connection, inform a calling SIP Services 
> Application what type party has answered the call? Specifically, I am 
> looking for something that can be placed into the 200OK response from 
> the Gateway to the SIP Services Application that can tell the Services

> Application if the call was answered on the PSTN side by a human, or
an 
> answering-machine, or a fax-machine, or a modem, etc.
>  
> Thanks,
> Tom Greier
> Intel
> 
> 
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:22:10 -0500

RFC3840 works fine in this case. 3840 isn't really about negotiation; 
its about declaration, and thats what you want here.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com