Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-03.txt

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:34:24 +0100

Gonzalo,

The draft-ietf-sipping-toip draft aims to define a service framework for
real-time text over IP using existing protocols and extensions.

Within that aim, it:
 Documents service requirements
 Identifies implementation possibilities today for all required functions.
 Indicates areas where further improvements may be fruitful, that might
require further protocol extensions or other new standards.

When we set out the work, we did not know if we could solve the required
functionality with existing protocols and extensions. Therefore the work was
placed in Sipping. We also presented that reason in IETF meetings along the
path.
Now we know both that it is possible to launch ToIP services today, and that
it is important to keep on solving remaining issues that can result in more
convenient services containing real-time text.

Regards

Gunnar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Gunnar Hellström, Omnitor
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Mob: +46 708 204 288
Phone: +46 8 556 002 03
www.omnitor.se <http://www.omnitor.se>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Gonzalo Camarillo
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:33 PM
To: Arnoud van Wijk; Gunnar Hellstrom; sipping
Cc: Rohan Mahy; Dean Willis
Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-03.txt

Hi,

the WGLC on this draft has just finished. The authors have received a
set of comments that will need to be taken into account.

However, I would like to discuss the scope and the purpose of this draft
before going ahead with it. By reading the title of the draft, it seems
like a requirements document. However, the draft seems to define a
framework: not a framework of requirements, but a framework to implement
ToIP services. In that sense, the draft seems like the definition of a
service (the same way as the conferencing framework defines the
conference service). Additionally, the draft also contains requirements
on the graphical user interface of the user agents implementing the
service, and system requirements (e.g., minimum storage capatity of some
of the nodes used to implement the service).

My question is, what is the purpose of this draft?

Does it aim to define requirements so that the SIPish WGs develop
protocol extensions needed for the service, does it aim to define a
service framework using existing protocols and extensions, or does it
aim to do something else?

We need to clarify what we are trying to do here...

Thanks,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP