Subject: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt - Part 1 of 2

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:10:10 -0400

Hi, Mary:
 
Part 3 of 3 of my comments:

1         Legal Obligations

·         The last WGLC had revealed the most controversial aspect of this
draft. For example, Mr. Gunnar Hellstrom was requested by all authors of
this to present all comments on behalf of the authors as the so-called
self-declared editor did not submit himself to the authors of this draft to
take all comments.

·         The irony is this: This time, it appears that there are two
self-declared editors instead of one, and no authors of this draft know how
did this miracle has happened.

·         Per rule, the editor of the draft is selected by the authors of
the draft, and an editor is obliged to listen to form consensus for
preparing the final draft. If the editor is not able to perform this duty,
he/she is obliged to resign as an editor.

·         No one can change the authors of this to contributors including
WG/IETF.

·         WG/IETF can assign an editor if there seems to be a problem. In
this respect, I propose, on behalf of the authors of this, let IETF/WG
choose anyone who is independent like Tom Taylor.

·         All authors of this draft have waited over long 2 years to come to
this point, and we have no problems to wait for few more months to it get
completed, but the WG/IETF must take into considerations so that fairness
and justice is done to all authors, and the integrity of the process is
maintained.

Best regards,

Radhika

  _____  

From: Roy, Radhika R.
Sent: Sat 7/1/2006 7:43 PM
To: Mary Barnes
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt - Part 1 of 2

Hi, Mary:
 
As indicated, I am enclosing my comments in the enclosed paper.
 
I appreciate your lead in this respect.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:24:52 -0400

Please see RFC 2418 regarding management of Working Groups. In 
particular, see:

Sec. 6.1:
    The Chair has the responsibility and the authority to make decisions,
    on behalf of the working group, regarding all matters of working
    group process and staffing, in conformance with the rules of the
    IETF.  The AD has the authority and the responsibility to assist in
    making those decisions at the request of the Chair or when
    circumstances warrant such an intervention.

....

    Document development

       Working groups produce documents and documents need authors. The
       Chair must make sure that authors of WG documents incorporate
       changes as agreed to by the WG (see section 6.3).

and also section 6.3:

6.3. Document Editor

    Most IETF working groups focus their efforts on a document, or set of
    documents, that capture the results of the group's work.  A working
    group generally designates a person or persons to serve as the Editor
    for a particular document.  The Document Editor is responsible for
    ensuring that the contents of the document accurately reflect the
    decisions that have been made by the working group.

Note that the above text uses the words "author" and "editor" for the 
same role. As I read the above text, the choice of editor(s) may 
possibly be a matter of Working Group consensus, but section 6.1 is 
pretty clear that the Chairs have the responsibility and authority to 
make that assignment.

In short, I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on.