Subject: RE: VS: [Sipping] More thoughts on fixing early media -- usingnullauthentication

From: "Sanjay Sinha \(sanjsinh\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:29:34 -0400

I agree about limitation of this solution. In most deployments for this
kind where UAS is a PSTN gateway, the gateway is in trust zone behind a
proxy which authenticates INVITE before forwarding it to the UAS and so
it does not need to re-authenticate.

Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: Christer Holmberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 4:43 AM
To: Jeroen van Bemmel; Dean Willis
Cc: sipping
Subject: Re: VS: [Sipping] More thoughts on fixing early media --
usingnullauthentication

Hi,

Even if the proxy collects the 401s, the next INVITE (with the
credentials) would still be forked to all UASs. So, if you want to give
a specific UAS petmission to play media you would need some UAS specific
parameter to indicate that.

However, I don't think we should mix/mandate authentication with early
media, because in some environments it may not be needed.

Regards,

Christer

________________ Reply Header ________________
Subject:	Re: VS: [Sipping] More thoughts on fixing early media --
usingnullauthentication
Author:	"Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date:		24th July 2006 8:15:51 am

>> In case of forking, would the UAC need to get this 401 response  from

>> ALL UASs that want to send early media? The forking proxy  wouldn't 
>> fowards all 401 responses, would it?
>>
>
> The proxy had better forward 401s . . .
>

The proxy would collect all 401's and combine them to a single answer,
containing all challenges. So as long as you put your early media thingy
as a parameter within the WWW-Authenticate header itself, it could work

Regards,

Jeroen

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:01:05 -0500

Sanjay Sinha (sanjsinh) wrote:
> it does not need to re-authenticate

The idea is not to do a "real" authentication -- the idea is to give the 
UAC a half-step between contacting the UAS and receiving media from the 
UAS, so that the UAC can serialize these states for multiple UAS and 
therefore never receive conflicting early media.

--
Dean