Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt - Pa rt 1 of 2

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:59:27 -0400

No, Chair did not appointed TWO editors so far as no announcement has been
made in this regard. May be it is your personal private statement. 
 
The authors of this docuement appointed editor(s) initially.The editor works
to have the consensus of the authors.
 
A author is one who contributes to the document in the first palce, and the
authors may also many things including intellectual property, and no one can
change this. It is fundamental right as an author. An author brigns
contribution in the IETF in the first place and it does not requires
anybody's permission.
 
If IETF does not like the authors, of course, authors can be appointed by
them, but they MUST not use author's material without author's permission
because it is author's property not IETF's as long as author does not
volunteer to provide this to the IETF.
 
WG Chair can appoint an editor all the time if needed. In this case, the
editor works under the direction of the WG Chair. Editor is an editor, not
author. However, an author can have both roles: author and editor. An editor
can NOT be an author automatically unless he/she contributes.
 
In the same token, WG can also "add" authors if needed to complement the
things.
 
Also inline [RRR].

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Tom-PT Taylor
Sent: Mon 7/3/2006 2:13 PM
To: Roy, Radhika R.
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sipping] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt - Pa
rt 1 of 2

My point is that you are an "author" of the draft only if the Chair
makes such an appointment. 

[RRR] WG does not need to "appoint" me as an author for the contribution. I
am already one of the authors. A contribution is brought by an author
without taking anyone's permission. The contribution may have also
intllectual property of the author.

At this point the Chairs have appointed two
authors/editors, and that is it.

[RRR] WG can appint "editor." WG can also add author. So far, we did not
know this announcement that WG has appointed two editors.

If you do not want to be shown as a "contributor" that is your choice.

[RRR] It is not a choice. It is a fact who are the authors. No one can
change this.

Roy, Radhika R. wrote:
> I fail to see what you are referring to. Of course, WG can do those things
> as stated.
> 
> Does this say the following:
> 
> Can WG change "authors" as "contributors" of the draft? Do you find any
> legal leg for this in the text that you have provided?
> 
> So, what is your point?
> 
> RRR
> 
> I do not see there is any contradiction what chairs can do or cannot do. I
> even requested to appoint an independent editor for this draft. I also
> appreciate WG's chair role.
>
>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Frank Shearar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:14:48 +0200

This whole saga is getting out of hand.

What's your beef, Radhika? You're still listed as a contributor. Noone's
trying to erase evidence of your contributions to the draft. Heck, I've
devoted days of my life to reading and commenting on this draft, and I'm not
mentioned. The same goes for lots of people.

We're writing this draft to bring much-needed inclusivity to SIP land. We're
writing this draft so that not just mainstream users (who have lots of
communications options available to them) can have another modality open to
them, but also so that deaf, hard of hearing people and speech-impaired
don't get even more side-lined than they already are. They are, after all,
stuck with 1970s technology that costs as much as a laptop does (with far
less functionality), unable to communicate outside the little walled gardens
they happen to find themselves stuck in. In the future, unless work like
this draft happens, they will be even MORE sidelined.

Please, let's focus on what's important.

frank