Subject: [Sipping] SIP Performance Metrics: Updates for next draft rev.

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:19:23 -0600

First, the following changes/updates were requested in Montreal:

1.  Where does the measurement take place? --I will include details
around where the measurement takes place for all of the metrics.
2.  Add a section in considerations for using the metrics in test
scenarios.
3.  Define the units of measure for each metric.
4.  Clarify these metrics are inclusive of external factors to the SIP
protocol, such as latency, processing, etc.
5.  Clarify what end-to-end means.
6.  Did I miss anything else?

Second, I've been asked to look at adding the following metrics to the
draft:

Post Answer Delay - This is the delay until the 200 OK messages is
received by the originator of the request.

Session Setup Delay - This is the delay until the ACK message is sent to
the destination proxy.

I tried to interpret the request in the above metrics, so please make
any comments general to the topic and not directly at me.

Finally, please keep in mind, I don't find a document such as this
valuable unless the number of metrics is kept reasonable.  Now, what is
reasonable?  I made this comment in Montreal, and I still stand by it.
Many vendors and operators may very well implement dozens of metrics in
their network for both diagnostic and for calculating KPI's and SLA's.
The point of this document is to agree as an industry on a subset of
metrics, which are deemed as critical to providing a folio of metrics
for use with all applications of SIP (as of today).

Let me know...

Thanks...--Daryl

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP