Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments on new Sipping drafts - 605, 303?

From: "Drage, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:41:05 +0100

Well,
 
I know these are only response codes, but they do seem to be a bit thin
on motivation. Perhaps if you look at RFC 4485 you will see some
instructions for formatting SIP specifying drafts, which tells you the
structure of the document and what sections are required.

You may also want to look at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-acr-code-03.txt

As an example of a completed draft that defines a new response code.

Note that while these documents should stay in SIPPING until you have
convinced people of the need for these response codes, it will
eventually have to transfer to SIP to be progressed.

See also mail I sent earlier today on when the number should be assigned
to response codes.

Finally in several places you have statements that say things like:

   The 605 looks identical to the 603 in all respects, except that the
   response code has a very special meaning for the proxy.  Proxys that
   do not support 605 are expected to treat this as a 603 and send the
   response all the back to the client.

Rather any entity that does not implement these extensions will default
to RFC 3261 behaviour which in proxy case is to pass on, and in UA case
is to treat as the X00 response code when XYY is received.

Regards

Keith

________________________________

	From: Rajesh Ramanathan [mailto:[email-masked]]

	Sent: 06 November 2006 18:45
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Sipping] Comments on new Sipping drafts - 605, 303? 

	Hi all,

	I haven't seen any comments on the following two drafts that
were submitted some time ago.

	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/draft-rajesh-sipping-605-00.txt

	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/draft-rajesh-sipping-303-00.txt

	Anyone have comments/feedback on this?

	Thanks

	Rajesh Ramanathan

	Microsoft Corporation

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Rajesh Ramanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:22:00 -0800

Thanks for the comments. I will work on making the drafts more clear.

-----Original Message-----
From: Drage, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 1:41 PM
To: Rajesh Ramanathan; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Comments on new Sipping drafts - 605, 303?

Well,

Regards

Keith

        Hi all,

        Thanks

        Rajesh Ramanathan

        Microsoft Corporation