

the user. Thus, you need a flag that indicates the request is anonymous. 
We could use the Privacy: id value for this, or use the presence of an 
anonymous URI in the From as this flag. What I assert we do NOT want is 
anything more than just a single flag. We don't want specific guidance 
on whether its allowed to insert header foo vs. header bar. That is too 
complicated and I think is not useful.

3. Additionally, one might want a solution for UA which, for some 
reason, cannot construct messages using (1). In that case, the UA will 
want to invoke a privacy service in the network. I would argue that we 
DONT want complex features that allow the UA to micro-manage the 
behavior of that privacy service. As a privacy service, it does a 
"full-processing" on the request - removing or obfuscating anything that 
could reveal user identity. Thus, the only thing we need to signal is a 
way for a UA to invoke that service, thats it. We could use a Privacy 
value for that, or we could use other techniques we have developed for 
service invocation. For example a route header field that points to an 
anonymization service.

I will point out that RFC 3323 itself has only seen deployment in the 
context of RFC 3325. That is, to my knowledge, the only value of the 
Privacy header ever used is "id".

-Jonathan R.

Mayumi Munakata wrote:

> Jonathan,
> 
> Thank you for the valuable comments.
> 
> To my knowledge, RFC 3323 is widely deployed already, so it is
> necessary to keep the mechanism and clarify it as much as possible
> for the already deployed implementations.
> 
> Your sip-identity-privacy draft may solve all the privacy problems,
> but still, we need RFC 3323, even if it is a short-term solution.
> 
> If everybody views RFC 3323 in the same way, I can change the text in
> Section 4.2. (Guidelines on specifying new priv-values) to something
> like "it is RECOMMENDED to avoid defining a new priv-value in future
> RFCs".
> 
> Thanks, Mayumi
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP