Subject: [Sipping] WGLC: draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-00.txt

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:10:47 -0600

Hi all,

This is to announce Working Group Last Call on the following document:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-00.txt

We would like 3 volunteers to commit to reviewing the document.  If
interested, please contact me directly.  I'll include that information
in the spreadsheet that will be updated shortly to reflect the state of
this document in WGLC. 

As always, anyone else that gets a chance to review should also send
their feedback to the authors and copy the SIPPING mailing list. 

This WGLC will end on December 20th, 2006 (three weeks time). 

Thanks, 
Mary 
SIPPING WG co-chair

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:19:16 -0600

I really do not believe that this document is ready for Working Group
Last Call.

I have started to review it, but I'm having difficulties because it just
isn't ready yet.

There are a number of comments (unresolved issues) from the authors
still embedded in the document,
illustrating that it is not ready for WGLC. It is pretty entertaining to
read the dialog between
the co-authors, but it does emphasise that the text is not ready.

I also find that the wording needs lots of improvement. 

The purpose of the document is not very clear either. And the
introduction is more confusing than
helpful.

Some specific comments:

- In the Scenario section, I'd like to see an Enterprise border
scenario.  (I.e., where an enteprise
  uses an SBC at the edge of it's network, in the DMZ). On the other
side, it could be the open internet
  with "normal" SIP DNS based connectivity, or it could be a SIP service
provider.

- The problem in section 3.1.2 is not "theoretical". It will happen in
all but the smallest of Enterprise
  scenarios (as per the scenario described in previous bullet).

- The term "SIP Profiles" in section 3.3.1 is probably something we want
to avoid (i.e., say "implement 
  SIP differently" instead of "implement different SIP Profiles").

- The section about NAT should explain more media anchoring, and the
difference between anchoring in one
  direction or in two direction (i.e., some SBCs only anchor media for
IP addresses on the private side,
  like "ALGs").

- Section 3.5.2: SBCs do introduce a scalabiliy problem because it
forces the funneling of signalling and
  media into a single point of failure.

- I don't see the point of the list of "bugs" fixed in 3.6.3 by an SBC. 

- Architectural issues in 3.7.2 for Media encryption should describe the
extra delay affecting voice quality,
  as well as the processing requirement. It should also describe that it
introduces another layer of routing
  on top of IP and generate sub-optiomal routing.

- Security consideration section needs to be written. There are lots of
security considerations to talk about.
  SBCs are Man-in-the-Middle by definition. It has impact on RFC 4474
that needs to be described. Also on
  signalling security (explain that SBC is a TLS hop). The implications
of Topology hiding for security needs
  to be explored. 

In summary, I think it needs quite a few more cycles of editing.

________________________________

	From: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00) 
	Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 07:11
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Sipping] WGLC: draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-00.txt

	Hi all, 

	This is to announce Working Group Last Call on the following
document: 

	We would like 3 volunteers to commit to reviewing the document.
If interested, please contact me directly.  I'll include that
information in the spreadsheet that will be updated shortly to reflect
the state of this document in WGLC. 

	As always, anyone else that gets a chance to review should also
send 
	their feedback to the authors and copy the SIPPING mailing list.

	Thanks, 
	Mary 
	SIPPING WG co-chair